What's new

Best blade questions. Possible Solution?

Ok, so we get the "best blade" question a lot (I asked it back in the day) and most of the responses are rightfully "it is a personal thing". I agree that it is a personal thing, but to a point, there are certain blades that rise to the top overall and there are certain blades that rise to the top for a given razor.

Would be nice to have a crosstab type poll with Razor on one axis and blade on the other so that we could better answer newbies questions by saying "well 60% of B&Bers prefer blade x in razor y".

This would be most helpful in ordering sampler packs too since there are many out there and if the user knew what commonly worked in their razor, they could pick the best sampler for their razor.

I am not signing up for this task in anyway, but just throwing out the idea. :thumbup1:

Would be nice to have a crosstab type poll with Razor on one axis and blade on the other so that we could better answer newbies questions by saying "well 60% of B&Bers prefer blade x in razor y".

This would be most helpful in ordering sampler packs too since there are many out there and if the user knew what commonly worked in their razor, they could pick the best sampler for their razor.

I am not signing up for this task in anyway, but just throwing out the idea. :thumbup1:

Here's mine:

Razor:

Any open comb razor made before 1950 in usable condition.

Blade:

Anything with 'Gillette' written on it.

As you can see, it's quite simple for me :)

Best combo for me is EJ89L with a Feather. Sweet harmony.

David:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the EJ 87. I believe it is the same head, with a white handle, as the 89L. Correct me if I am wrong, got the EJ 87 as a gift. In any event, load a Feather in that baby, and I have brought my shaving comfort to a new level.

Jeff

Best combination:
Gillette Fatboy loaded with a NOS Schick Platinum Plus blade

Second best:
Gillette Fatboy with a Timor blade
Feather popular with a feather blade also works very well for me but it is ok for just 2 shaves, during the third I feel tugging.

Last edited:
Ok, so we get the "best blade" question a lot (I asked it back in the day) and most of the responses are rightfully "it is a personal thing". I agree that it is a personal thing, but to a point, there are certain blades that rise to the top overall and there are certain blades that rise to the top for a given razor.

That would be a tough one. As you can see in my thread "Feather, measure of all blades", I like quite a few (say all with 8 or higher rating). I prefer open combs. My current favourite is the Fatip / Muhle R89, old model aka "the Beast". The Fatip likes sharper blades, but so far all blades I have tried in it, work well... About the same holds true for my test razor, the Enigma. Most blades do very well... I intend to use all the blades I have (and hope to live long enough to do so :laugh:).

I think that's way too complicated.

I think we should tell newbies to try sample packs that includes at least:

Dorcos
Red IPs
Feathers
Derbys
Lord

They may not find their very favorite, but I'm sure several of those blades will work great in any razor.

I think that's way too complicated.

I think we should tell newbies to try sample packs that includes at least:

Dorcos
Red IPs
Feathers
Derbys
Lord

They may not find their very favorite, but I'm sure several of those blades will work great in any razor.

Agree, otherwise you will still get a lot of personal preferences. And when you have your basic technique down you should be able to shave with just about anything. So, indeed the important part is trying out some nice blades while you get your technique down. I would also try Wilkinson (WM and India) and perhaps a Gillette.

Last edited:
Best, Hands down, NOS Personna*74 in a pre-war Pomco Slant.

My daily/usual shave Gillette Black or Yellow, or RP Personna in a '40s pattern Aristocrat.

Any one of several Decent soaps/shave sticks and a high grade badger brush.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom