What's new

Checking in and Seeking a Little Advice

Newbie here checking in with first post!

I've always hated shaving and I read an article on Lifehacker.com awhile back about wet shaving, and it sounded like something I would really enjoy. I like a good shave, I like pampering myself a bit, and the Zen aspect of wet shaving seems right up my alley.

I've done an almost insane amount of reading and video watching on the subject, and I have picked out the items that I think I will purchase to start my wet shaving journey. I would like to go ahead and purchase the best gear I can so I will only have to make these purchases once. If I already have stuff I really like, I don't foresee being prone to RAD, SBAD, or any other AD. If I buy cheap stuff, then I'm going to just turn around and buy good stuff...

Here's what I have picked out so far:

Blade Sampler Pack (Extended)

Tabac Original Shaving Soap with Bowl

Proraso Pre/Post Shaving Cream

Shavemac 44140 Silvertip Brush

Now the razor is the part I'm not so sure about...

I'm thinking either the highly praised Edwin Jagger DE89L or the Bull Mastiff. I'm leaning towards the DE89L mainly because its cheaper, and I'm intimidated by the head choices for the Bull Mastiff. Any advice on whether I should go with the DE89L or the Bull Mastiff? If you think I should go with the Bull Mastiff, which head should I go with?

Anyway...checking in. :thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Newbie here checking in with first post!

I've always hated shaving and I read an article on Lifehacker.com awhile back about wet shaving, and it sounded like something I would really enjoy. I like a good shave, I like pampering myself a bit, and the Zen aspect of wet shaving seems right up my alley.

I've done an almost insane amount of reading and video watching on the subject, and I have picked out the items that I think I will purchase to start my wet shaving journey. I would like to go ahead and purchase the best gear I can so I will only have to make these purchases once. If I already have stuff I really like, I don't foresee being prone to RAD, SBAD, or any other AD. If I buy cheap stuff, then I'm going to just turn around and buy good stuff...

Here's what I have picked out so far:

Blade Sampler Pack (Extended)

Tabac Original Shaving Soap with Bowl

Proraso Pre/Post Shaving Cream

Shavemac 44140 Silvertip Brush

Now the razor is the part I'm not so sure about...

I'm thinking either the highly praised Edwin Jagger DE89L or the Bull Mastiff. I'm leaning towards the DE89L mainly because its cheaper, and I'm intimidated by the head choices for the Bull Mastiff. Any advice on whether I should go with the DE89L or the Bull Mastiff? If you think I should go with the Bull Mastiff, which head should I go with?

Anyway...checking in. :thumbup:

Ha ha, that's funny.
I know a lot of folks who initially stated a similar stance!! :lol:

The EJ is reputed to be a fine razor. Though some people may like this razor or that, and have one they don't like - I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about their EJ or Muhle.

When your AD does kick in, check out the BST for a great vintage Gillette!

Keep us posted, and don't be shy about asking question!!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Like Phil, I would also recommend the DE89L. The Bull Mastiff is a great razor where you can change the heads and have something mild, medium, aggressive depending on how you want it to be. I would say, wait a bit and when you think you are ready, give it a go.

Unfortunately, there is no "Best" in each product area, and it isn't related to $$ either.

It's pretty much impossible to buy what works best for you first up, because you don't know what that is, and it's different for everyone.

But Tabac is the exception. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been amazed at the wealth of information available on these forums. I didn't know there was so much to learn about shaving until I started delving into it a few weeks ago. :blink:

Looks like choices you should be happy with unless you're one of the few freaks of nature that don't like the tabac scent.

You may also want to consider a scuttle.

Yea...I haven't found a scuttle yet. I want a nice stand with a matching scuttle, but I haven't found the right one for me yet. I may also look into getting a local artist to make me one. I saw that in a thread and it seemed like a pretty cool idea. I know I can get the brush engraved, I'm hoping that if I get the Bull Mastiff, Bill can engrave it for me, and if I get an artist to make me a scuttle, I could get my name on that too. I think that would make for a nice personalized set. :)

Unfortunately, there is no "Best" in each product area, and it isn't related to $$ either.

It's pretty much impossible to buy what works best for you first up, because you don't know what that is, and it's different for everyone.

But Tabac is the exception. :thumbup1:

I have to second the above; you have to experiment to find what works best for YOU There are so many variables out there. I started with a Rolls Viscount, and over the past 60+ years have tried many others from time to time, but keep going back to the ancient and honorable Rolls.
:shaving:
That is my taste, may not be yours.

Top Bottom