What's new

What Are You Reading?

Last week I finished The Alchemist by Paul Coehlo. I would not recommend this to anybody; excepting the idea about following one's heart - which I'm sure the Cliff's Notes would probably cover - this book was largely a waste of (an admittedly small amount of) my time.

Just finished reading Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse yesterday, which I really enjoyed. I would recommend this less for the lessons in Buddhism and the part where he talks to a river, but more for the philosophy and more for the advocating of a simpler life. So if you're not interested in Buddhism, and did not enjoy books like HDT's Walden, I can't see much value in this for you!

Today I am starting Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, which is far more in line with what I'm accustomed to reading. I had read the first part of this book a year or two ago and was very impressed. From the flick through I've had already, I expect I will be even more impressed by the time I've finished it.

Jut picked up a magazine called "Gunslingers of the gangster Era" about some of the Prohibition Era mobsters and G-men and their guns. A very interesting look at those days.

proxy.php
I'm now reading the 1974 military classic...[FONT=&amp]"Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" by William Craig.[/FONT]
View attachment 599163

I'm assuming the movie with Ed Harris & Jude Law was based on that? It's a great flick. I'll have to find the book.

Reading the OEC textbook these days. Prior to this, the last 10 years have involved nothing more than a magazine, or an occasional woodworking/homebrewing book. Suffice to say it's a little more content-heavy than I'm used to.

I'm slowly working my way through the collected works of H.P Lovecraft. I like reading short stories, so it's kinda fitting my style of reading, but though many of the stories are quite good (I've yet to read the more famous ones) some are rather bland. But I'm enjoying myself anyway!

I'm slowly working my way through the collected works of H.P Lovecraft. I like reading short stories, so it's kinda fitting my style of reading, but though many of the stories are quite good (I've yet to read the more famous ones) some are rather bland. But I'm enjoying myself anyway!
Just don't go to sleep after reading them!

As I said before, I am reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, and there are a few passages about wet shaving! Just a nice little touch in the book that I noticed.

The Quotable Hitchens: From Alcohol to Zionism--The Very Best of Christopher Hitchens.

BTW, I started another thread asking for suggestions for short story writers. I'd like to thank
my fellow B&Bs for all their help.

Top Bottom