What's new

razor suggestion

I know this question has been asked a lot before, but please bear with me. I've been using a Norelco for years with decent, but not great results. I'd like to start using a safety razor. The confusion arises because of what's been recommended for me and the reviews I've read. Basicaly, it comes down to a Merkur HD, Hefty Classic, or Futur or the Edwin-Jaeger DE89L that got a glowing review on this site. I'd say I have a coarse, but kind of slow growing beard (if that matters).

Thanks.

-Dave

I started with HD and although I don't use much (just because I got a bunch of vintage razors now) it is a great starter razor and is recommended for a reason. Very forgiving and easy to learn. I don't own DE89L but like you said, it gets great reviews and seems to be a great razor to start with. I do have Futur though and it is a beatiful razor but even on low setting it is more aggressive (to me) then HD. If you don't mind spending the money though, it is a fantastic modern adjustable to have in your collection and if you only want to spend on one razor - adjustable is the way to go IMHO.

I have thick, dense and tough beard hairs. The DE89L is my first and only razor and I'm happy with it. I haven't hurt myself with it yet. Many also recommend the HD as a good first razor. I'd love to hear a side-by-side review sometime.

Oh, and welcome to Badger and Blade.

Nate.

Never tried an EJ razor but I did start with a HD and found it a perfect razor to begin DE shaving. It is still in my rotation now, although my vintage Gillettes seem to get more use.

Pete

My recommendations would be the EJ DE89L, or the Muhle R89 (these two razors have the exact same head, just different handles), or a vintage Tech, or Superspeed. The Tech, and Superspeed are both milder than the Merkur HD, and I feel better choices for a new wet shaver, as they will be more forgiving of less than perfect technique.

I have a Muhle R89, and it is just a wonderful razor: superb finish, great balance, fairly mild, the right amount of weight (not as heavy as the HD), and a nicely knurled handle to boot. I don't think you can go wrong with the EJ/Muhle.

I know this question has been asked a lot before, but please bear with me. I've been using a Norelco for years with decent, but not great results. I'd like to start using a safety razor. The confusion arises because of what's been recommended for me and the reviews I've read. Basicaly, it comes down to a Merkur HD, Hefty Classic, or Futur or the Edwin-Jaeger DE89L that got a glowing review on this site. I'd say I have a coarse, but kind of slow growing beard (if that matters).

Thanks.

-Dave

Go with a HD, you won't be sorry. My first razor was the Vision 2000. I never cut myself but the shave were just okay. Then got the HD and learned the art of D/E shaving. I could now shave great with the Vision, however if it was not for RAD the HD could last a lifetime.

I also suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89L it is one if not the best razor in my rotation. It is a well crafted tool with a superb finish. When coupled with an Iridium or Feather blade it is one of the best razors I have ever used. It has made my shaves truly enjoyable. Here is some info from the link below:

"Edwin Jagger Safety Razors are handcrafted and go through a special hard chrome process that is a beautiful and distinct "blue chrome" used by Rolls Royce. The chrome is truly distinctive when compared to the normal chrome we're all used to seeing. All Edwin Jagger razors and shaving brushes have superior fit, finish and quality not found in other brands."

More info here:

http://bestgroomingtools.com/edwin-jagger-double-edge-safety-razor-lined-chrome-p-1254.html

Of those three, the only one you might regret is the Futur. I will not say that the Futur is a bad razor, but it is not suitable for every new DE shaver. Of the remaining three, you could pick any of them and expect good results.

I continually harp on this-- but take a look at the Gillette Tech. They're common, relatively cheap, simple to maintain and mild.

I started with an HD and it was a bit aggressive for me. I quickly got a Gillette Tech off the bay and was not disappointed, although it is a mild razor. I moved to a SS and that was very good as well-not too aggressive. Now I can use a HD or a Fat Boy at 4 or 5 without a problem. The Muele or EJ are both really nice new razors, but I would start with a Tech to build technique and then choose a more aggressive piece.

Before you shell out the big bucks, I would suggest you check out the Buy/Sale/Trade Forum on this site and pick up a vintage Gillette Super Speed. They are cheap and are great starters. In many cases members give razors away to newbies.

Top Bottom