What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

There's not a review. What does it smell like and how does it lather/perform? Also is it ok for sensitive skin?

Any input would be appreciated.

MWF has some lanolin in it, which is a skin irritant for some. It has a pleasant, light "clean" scent to it. It's a good soap... Take note that a number of gents have trouble getting a lather out of it. It's a little finicky that way.

You are going to absolutely love it or loathe it.

I enjoy the smell, not pungent, but subtle soap/cleanliness scent.

Lather, was a nightmare and frustration. It uses more water than any soap I've ever tried and need a good brush to be loaded on. I can get a nice lather in a bowl but it does amazingly well with face lather. Even if you struggle to get that lather you may be use to with other products the end result will make you want to come back for more.

MWF is a great soap. It has a light and slightly sweet powdery scent that can be difficult to lather. I have hard water and I find MWF takes more water than my other soaps to get a lather.

Last edited:
Initially, when using MWF, the lather wasn't very good, and it got gummy toward the end of the shave. Both lather-related problems are gone now after changing my lathering procedure. And, in fact, I get great lather with all soaps now.

I was working up lather on top of the soap plug, in a mug. And, I believe working up lather on top of the soap was a mistake (for me.)

Now, I use a soap bowl about 4 inches across. I soak the brush. Holding the soap plug above the bowl, and daub the plug to fill the brush with soap. Then, I scrape the brush against the side of the bowl, scraping the soap off the brush into the bowl. I repeat one more time.

Then, I whip the lather in the bowl. I might add a small amount of water to the bowl.

I am convinced that my initial problem with lather was because I had too much soap. When I decreased the amount of soap, and increased slightly the amount of water, everything clicked.

You'll find plenty of threads discussing the virtues and vices of MWF. Many (including me) have trouble lathering it with hard water. Others feel it's the best soap in their rotation. Regardless, I definitely think everyone who is curious should try it. If you love it, great! If you don't, someone will happily purchase it from you on B/S/T. I really like the scent -- very clean.

What worked for me was to use, essentially, the approach you can find here for lathering a glycerin soap. MWF can take a lot more water, and the easiest way for me to get the right amount of water is to soak a badger brush then just let the water drip out. Do not squeeze the brush (*). Then add one flick of the brush, as mentioned above, to get a bit more water out. By not squeezing the brush, you're keeping much more water in the brush than if you use the typical soap-lathering tutorial (*). Then, just follow the glycerin tutorial I linked.

(*) Disclaimer: I advocate the general soap lathering tutorial, and I was part (junior member-in-training, but hey, it's a role) of the face-lathering tutorial team. That method works wonderfully, and I encourage everyone to try it. My suggestion here is simply the best way I've found to articulate the amount of water that works--for me--for MWF. You can get MWF to work with the general soap lathering tutorial approach, but you'll likely need to add a fair amount of water and you could end up quitting before you get optimal lather. (NB: It also turns out the glycerin tutorial approach seems to work well for me on all soaps, so if you're having trouble with any other soaps, it might be a fix for you?)

There's not a review. What does it smell like and how does it lather/perform? Also is it ok for sensitive skin?

Any input would be appreciated.

The packaging actually boasts about it being suitable for senstive skin, but as has been mentioned, if its lanolin your skin is sensitive to you're out of luck.

As for the functionality of the soap and its latherability, the only somewhat unique thing about the soapfor me is how hard it is; it may require a brush with some backbone, or some extra time agitating the soap to get enough soap ont the brush for lather. But even here I'm reaching; its really rather similar to other hard soaps to me. There is a ton of discussion on this.

I had trouble lathering MWF until I purchased a boar brush. Now I find lathering quite easy and it is my favorite soap.

eric.

Last edited:
I had trouble lathering MWF until I purchased a boar brush. Now I find lathering quite easy and it is my favorite soap.

eric.

Ditto.

Switched to my Semogue 1305 and at first I was cursing the thing and now it whips it real good and I love it.

So far I can only get a good lather from face lathering, but it's a great soap that moisturizing and gives a great shave, I would recommend it for at least a try

I find that it doesn't have a lot of scent, just sort of creamy and subtle like some other people have mentioned.

Because there isn't much scent, it is a good choice for me on those days when I am more interested in the scent of my aftershave -- if I'm trying a new AS, for instance and want to know how it really smells.

The lanolin has never bothered me and actually makes my dry skin feel really nice. Definitely my favorite soap; when I go into my den without any forethought on what soap to use, this is the one my hand goes to. :thumbup1:

It takes a bit of work to get a good lather but if you can manage it, it is well worth it.
I love the stuff.

Last edited:
I've heard from other members that MWF is designed for face lathering and so if you bowl lather you may have problems with it. I only face lather my soaps and have not had a problem lathering MWF at all. It takes a bit longer to load my brush than say Tabac but that's just the difference between a 30 second swirl for Tabac vs. a 45 second swirl for MWF. MWF is probably my favorite soap just a bit ahead of Tabac.

ok...so before I post a full review let me say a something something about the soap.

I live in NJ - so the water is pretty hard BUT - all i do is get a brush (yeah you kind of need that) - make is damp - make later on the soap (and yes it is very easy to make lather on the soap) - and once you have it loaded - move on to the face and now you may add a drop or two of water and continue lathering.

All I have to say is WOW ! I have used GFT and this will wipe the floor with GFT any time of the day !!

and YES - it is indeed very lightly scented with floral clean scent which I happen to love - but for those who are unsure of the scent - good news is that is does not last long at all. By the time you have lathered your face - it is gone.

Just wanted to put in my two cents !
Absolutely love it - got if for 14 $ from ebay.

Da Fat is my go-to soap. I use it 3-4 times a week. As far as lathering goes, I never had any problem lathering it. I used it in central Texas for a few months and the water there is hard enough to chew. Just make sure you really load your brush and don't be stingy with the water.

Top Bottom