What's new

3 weeks in. Going well so far.

I believe when i first posted this I put it in the wrong section.

So my buddy got me into wet shaving a few weeks ago. I just joined B&B the other day. Thanks to a generous gent on here, I got a PIF with a blade sampler pack. My question to whomever can help: How should I go about testing different blades? So far I have only been using the Personna blades. I've been using one blades for every 4-5 shaves. Should I try a different blade each shave or once a week? I have been pretty happy with the shaves so far. I will say though, I'm not getting BBS shaves. I am not shaving XTG yet. Honestly I'm sort of hesitant to go XTG. Any advice is appreciated.

welcome

i'm also new to this game and been at it 5-6 wks now. i've only tried the red personnas and like them very much. i will get a blade sampler at some time and work my way through it, but the personnas seem very forgiving and easy to use and i'm getting good shaves from them. i change blades after every 3-4 shaves.

if i had a blade sampler i'd try 3-4 blades of each type in a row, say 3-4 shaves with each. i think that would give the most accurate idea of whether they suited me or not.

and don't fear XTG. try it first on the easier bits - like sideburns, where the hair growth is all in 1 direction and the skin tougher. i'm doing WTG then XTG everywhere except my neck (for that my 2nd pass is inbewteen WTG and XTG).

good luck and enjoy

My question to whomever can help: How should I go about testing different blades?

The way I do it is grab a new brand/type of blade, and shave with it until it becomes dull. Make a note of how many shaves you get with the blade (for me, that's usually 1/2 to 3 shaves). This becomes your "longevity" score. You also need to score on things like sharpness, closeness and comfort. I use a score out of 5, it seems to be easier to quantify with a score out of 5 with 1 being "horroble", 2 being "bad", 3 being "average", 4 being "good", 5 being "excellent".

Once your blade is dull, strap in a second of the same type, and give it another 1 or 2 shaves, to both refresh your memory of how good (or bad) a blade is, and to see if you happened to get a sample variation. If both blades are significantly different in any scores (e.g. sharpness or comfort takes a nosedive), you might have hit on a sample variation (and either a good or bad blade), so try a 3rd. Otherwise, just move on to the next kind of blade, rinse and repeat for as long as you've got blades.

Also, be aware that the scores you give are your own, and probably won't be the same as my scores for the same blade. For example, I've seen people here like Lord Platinum blades, but for me they get blunt half way through my shave and turn into a cheese grater crossed with a flame thrower.

Oh, and the IP Reds are my current favourite too :thumbup1:

Welcome. 4-5 shaves per blade sounds fine. If the blade starts to seem like it's tugging the hairs a bit, it's time to switch. I recommend giving each blade brand at least a solid two week effort before moving onto the next brand.

Welcome! I would recommend you start with a shaving log. You can make a spreadsheet for free at the Google site. This will allow you to keep a detailed log of time between shaves, routine changes, soap, razor, blade, results etc. It's easy to get caught up in all the new things to try which affects your evaluations, and there are patterns that arise that you wouldn't catch in other ways. Because you're new, your technique will improve very quickly and your preference in products will emerge quickly as well. If you get a blade that doesn't shave you well, don't fight it and try something else. Go back to it after a few weeks to see if the "blade" has improved. One of the most common posts from newbies is how a blade that was once not liked does just fine later on. Enjoy the ride!

Welcome aboard! I've been working through a sampler back by using one blade for 3-4 shaves and then moving onto another blade so I can get through them all.

XTG isn't so bad. Just don't use pressure and watch your angle and you'll be ok.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Good advices up here!

Welcome!

Welcome. 4-5 shaves per blade sounds fine. If the blade starts to seem like it's tugging the hairs a bit, it's time to switch. I recommend giving each blade brand at least a solid two week effort before moving onto the next brand.

+1, exactly!

Top Bottom