What's new

new MACALLAN 1824 releases

Anyone have any tasting notes on these new (July) MACALLAN releases ? I don't know if they're available in the States. I read somewhere they were only available in "duty free" airport liquor stores.

They are all travel retail exclusive so you can't pick them up at the local liquor store. I haven't had the opportunity to taste these myself but here is John Hansell over at Malt Advocate's take:

85 The Macallan Select Oak, 40%, $60/1L
Straw gold. Well rounded, with fresh vanilla, berries in cream, caramel custard, toasted oak, and gentle dried spice. A really nice every day, anytime dram. The best price/quality ratio of the range.

83 The Macallan Whisky Maker’s Edition, 42.8%, $90/1L
Full gold. Oily in texture, with ripe barley, front-loaded toffee, honey drenched citrus, fallen orchard fruit, and a full complement of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove). Gripping, resinous, slightly hot finish. The flavors don’t meld together here as well as the other three expressions, but it’s still a fun ride.

95 The Macallan Estate Reserve, 45.7%, $215
Amber color. Richly textured (great mouthfeel), with vanilla fudge, nougat, ripe citrus, and ginger cake, leading to a complex, spicy finish. Great depth on this one. And polished. My pick of the lot.

94 The Macallan 1824 Limited Release, 48%, $1,900
Antique amber. The darkest and most decadent of the four. Quite viscous and soothing, with well-layered notes of apple pie, marmalade, and maple syrup balanced by dried fruits, ginger, polished leather, tobacco and resinous oak. One to sip and savor very slowly. (This whisky is much better than the last ultra-premium release, the Macallan 55 year old in the Lalique Decanter, and thousands of dollars less.)

Top Bottom