What's new

Yankees are world champions

Congrats to the Yanks on a great win :a14:. They beat the toughest team in the NL, hands down. A couple of pitches here and there, and the series could have turned out the other way. I'm disappointed that the Phils didn't repeat, but there's no shame losing to that team. I look forward to a rematch next year!

Nice post, but good sportsmanship is not going to lead this thread anywhere interesting. :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is, why it's bad for an owner to want to win as badly as a player, and be willing to dig deep into the coffers to make it happen. Anyone who owns a baseball team is exceptionally wealthy. I'd rather have owners spend money and try to win then be cheap and say, "we're in a small market." that's telling your fans it's their fault for not supporting the team enough. Top that off with the fact that all those small-market teams get profit sharing and luxury tax money, and the cry of poverty is nonsense.

As for the steroid issue, there is simply no team in baseball that is clean. Not one. To believe otherwise is naive.

There is absolutely no jealousy here since I am not a baseball fan period. I watch football only and my team is the Steelers. I'm am just against unfair play and the rules of baseball allow big market teams to outspend the small market teams which provides an uneven playing field. There needs to be a salary cap as in other sports to even the playing field and let true management and talent win championships. If the Yankees would have won the championship by beating an equally paid team or higher paid team, I would have been the first to congratulate them. Why were you persistently defending an "unimportant subject" anyway. I'm sure anybody who is not a Yankees fan can do the math. There is no need to guess, the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and that's exactly what the Yankees paid for.

Exactly. There is no point in responding to someone who has become irrational on a relatively unimportant subject, for reasons at which one can only begin to guess.

There is absolutely no jealousy here since I am not a baseball fan period. I watch football only and my team is the Steelers. I'm am just against unfair play and the rules of baseball allow big market teams to outspend the small market teams which provides an uneven playing field. There needs to be a salary cap as in other sports to even the playing field and let true management and talent win championships. If the Yankees would have won the championship by beating an equally paid team or higher paid team, I would have been the first to congratulate them. Why were you persistently defending an "unimportant subject" anyway. I'm sure anybody who is not a Yankees fan can do the math. There is no need to guess, the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and that's exactly what the Yankees paid for.

The only thing I'm defending is people's right to be happy that their baseball team won the world series without having some wet rag with an axe to grind try to ruin it for them.

In that case, Congratulations Yankees fans! Go Steelers! I think we should all talk about something we agree on. A fine shave!

The only thing I'm defending is people's right to be happy that their baseball team won the world series without having some wet rag with an axe to grind try to ruin it for them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have the same problem with the housing market. Why should someone who is willing to spend more money get to live in a better house than I do? :001_tongu

Sometimes people forget that 1) Sports is a business and as such comes products and competition and 2) for the Yankees to pay such salaries, they have to subsidize other teams, I'm sure those teams do not complain

You know, for all that we can snipe about the way baseball is run as a business, there is something about the game that just refuses to be turned corporate. As hard as it can be to lay hands on prime seats at places like Fenway, Yankee and Dodger Stadiums, etc, I was heartened to find that on a business trip to Chicago a couple of years ago, I was able to plunk down $22 and get 12th row seats at Wrigley. For every superstar primadonna, there are 10 guys on the same team making the league minimum....and they're genuinely nice. This summer I took my 7 yr old daughter down to BP before the Phils-Pirates. We made our way down to the front row in left field, way off to the side, away from the throngs of people waiting to nab a ball. The pitchers were in the outfield shagging fly balls, and Ryan Madson snared one. He turned around and looked at the crowds yelling for him to throw them the ball. Then he looked over to the side and saw my little girl who was just standing there, not yelling anything, at which point he gestured to me and threw the ball for her. She yelled "Thank You!" and he waved back. Point is that most players are still accessible and remember that it's the fans' game. No other major sport can say that.

I wanted the Phils to win. They'll get 'em next year and baseball will still be fun. And my girl will still have a memory for a lifetime.

I personally don't watch baseball and wouldn't know anything about it, but I can't help but hear the conversations from those who do. Overwhelmingly, what I hear at work, with friends, on sports talk radio, any talk radio actually is that the Yankees just bought another World Series Title, and the only ones who disagree are Yankees fans.

Now, we don't have a MLB team here where I live, but if we did, and if I were a fan, and our team won the World Series, I think I would be happy and celebrating, and deservedly so. At the same time, I couldn't blame anyone else for how they feel about it either.

I'm a college football fan, and I've never agreed with how the best team is decided, and there are no player salaries involved. I think in all sports have disagreements on all sides, and Major League Baseball is no exception. If your team wins, be happy and go celebrate. If someone disagrees, be happy and go celebrate! :biggrin:

You know, for all that we can snipe about the way baseball is run as a business, there is something about the game that just refuses to be turned corporate. As hard as it can be to lay hands on prime seats at places like Fenway, Yankee and Dodger Stadiums, etc, I was heartened to find that on a business trip to Chicago a couple of years ago, I was able to plunk down $22 and get 12th row seats at Wrigley. For every superstar primadonna, there are 10 guys on the same team making the league minimum....and they're genuinely nice. This summer I took my 7 yr old daughter down to BP before the Phils-Pirates. We made our way down to the front row in left field, way off to the side, away from the throngs of people waiting to nab a ball. The pitchers were in the outfield shagging fly balls, and Ryan Madson snared one. He turned around and looked at the crowds yelling for him to throw them the ball. Then he looked over to the side and saw my little girl who was just standing there, not yelling anything, at which point he gestured to me and threw the ball for her. She yelled "Thank You!" and he waved back. Point is that most players are still accessible and remember that it's the fans' game. No other major sport can say that.

I wanted the Phils to win. They'll get 'em next year and baseball will still be fun. And my girl will still have a memory for a lifetime.

I bought 2 seats at Yankee Stadium in the upper deck behind home plate for $25 each last summer (old stadium). The seats were great and I felt like I had gotten a bargain.

Again with the pleasant comments indicating a well-adjusted personality. How did you get in here? :wink:

Madson was probably trying to bean her! Hows that Obsessed?:biggrin:

I was referring to the players who actually contributed to this championship (Damon, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Rodriguez, who collectively made $111,400,000.00 alone this year!!!!!!!!). Wow, $111,400,000.00 for 6 players only in ONE YEAR! If that's not purchasing championships I don't know what is. The entire Phillies payroll is $111,209,000 less than the 6 Yankees players I mentioned above. Carlos Ruiz earns $475,000/year and J.A. Happ earns $405,000/year. That's earning championships not buying them.

i will disagree with you on a few points here....

1. show me another time that has the "Core Four" who have been the heart and soul of their team for the last 13 years.

2. matsui has been a yankee for 7 seasons now and has only ever played for one team in the USA. it is not like he was some mercenary player hired to come on for one season to win a championship.

3. there are a lot of factors that go into winning a championship. you can have all the talent in the world, but that doesn't guarantee anything. a lot of it depends on a little luck and getting hot at the right time. look at tampa bay last year, everyone thought they were going to crush the Phillies, and on paper they should have, but the Phils got hot at the right time and won.

4. anyone who thinks that the championship was "bought" is clearly out of their minds. those players still went out their every day for 162 games and played their hearts out winning more games than any other mlb team, and playing some very difficult teams along the way. the twins, angels and phillies were no slouches...they may have had a big payroll, but they earned their win and played better and harder than anyone else out there.

Top Bottom