What's new

The MMA Thread

Nate is going to submit the mouthy little Mick, and . . .
Cupcake is going home with the belt.

Just call me Kreskin. I thought the Main Event would take longer. Knew Diaz had the chin to take Conor's best, but did not expect him to rock Conor so easily. Neither Diaz is exactly known as a power puncher. Meh . . . I'll still take it.

As you guys have seen from my previous posts. I dont really like the Diaz bros, but i was happy to see nate beat michael johnson who i dislike. But i really want to see mcgregor humbled. And i think it would be awesome to see Nate humble this guy with a submission.

Orville and i called it.

i'm still waiting. But i'm reading that nate is on FS1 doing an interview. And supposedly dana gave one as well.

nevermind, i got the stream going. Not sure how much i missed though.

Saw a guy a hooters enter the restaurant with an irish flag around his neck... He couldn't hide it fast enough when conor got choked out. LMAO!

Wow, that sure shakes things up. I haven't watched them yet but there was no getting around results.

I just read some of it online, sounds like an exciting couple fights.

Vegas odds are sure taking a beating the last few months eh? If someone had the good foresight to bet a parlay of Holm (to defeat Rousey), then Tate and Diaz last night, they've probably paid off their house by now. Congrats to Tate and Diaz, and especially Tate at that. She left it all in the cage, as did Holm, and she fought her way to the top of the pile. To her credit, Holm didn't give her any quarter; Tate had to earn it all. I had a laugh at a thought when the winner was to be announced: I pictured Dana walking up, belt in hand, head down in complete dejection, and just tossing the belt at Tate and walking off rather than strap it around her.

Between that and Conor's sound defeat, the UFC marketing machine has been dealt a pretty serious hit. I wonder what they'll come up with after these recent events? If/when Ronda comes back, will she go after Tate for the belt or Holm to avenge her loss? Where does Conor go from here?

I managed to stay up way too late to watch the post fight press conf. And conor will go back to 145 and defend the belt. Either aldo or frankie will get the chance.

Dana left after a little bit, but i read on sherdog that apparently he mentioned somewhere else that it will be tate/rousey 3. And i also read someone post a tweet from ronda that said "back to work".

Wow...that Tate showed heart and determination. Even when Holly flipper her, she hung on and sunk the choke in deeper.

Very happy to see her win! She earned that one.

Man oh man....Nate brought it.

Busted up, not intimidated, smack talking, hands in the hair slapping Connor and made the champ tap. Connor didn't even try to get out of the choke and taped quick.

What a fight!

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Nick or Nate, though one thing is for certain regarding the Diaz brothers, they are willing to take a beating to win a fight. McGregor is so full of himself, he was unable to believe it nor respect it. His quick tap out revealed to me that he's a coward. Most S-talking bullies are. At least Holmes the champion went down with the ship. You gotta respect that.

I'm not a McGregor fan, but he did mention in several interviews that I have seen that he totally owns his defeats and learns from them. And a coward? The dude took a fight 2 weight classes above his own. And RNC is nasty. If that choke is set in and there is no way of escape why would you hold on just to pass out? Keep the blood pumping to your brain and fight another day.

Wow...that Tate showed heart and determination. Even when Holly flipper her, she hung on and sunk the choke in deeper.

Very happy to see her win! She earned that one.

For sure. She fought her heart out; if she rematches Rousey and brings that kind of fight to her, she'll give Rousey a hard night and may well send her packing back to Hollywood. Prior to Holm, I think Tate was danger close to figuring out the key to defeat Rousey and likely would've done so if she'd received the fight instead of Holm.

When she sunk that choke in on Holly, she cranked it in with all she had in her. If Big John hadn't stepped in when he did, she probably would've popped Holly's head like a zit. Both of them fought well and left it all in the cage; some articles have it that a draw could've resulted if the fight had gone to decision. That would've been a hoot.

I'm not a McGregor fan, but he did mention in several interviews that I have seen that he totally owns his defeats and learns from them. And a coward? The dude took a fight 2 weight classes above his own. And RNC is nasty. If that choke is set in and there is no way of escape why would you hold on just to pass out? Keep the blood pumping to your brain and fight another day.
technically it is two weight classes, but c'mon he walks around at 168lbs from what it seems. So really, he didn't go up that many weight classes (so to speak). In my opinion, he let the hype go to his head and definitely bit off more than he can chew. He (and zuffa) probably thought he was gonna starch nate. But it's MMA not just striking, and conor seems to be a fish out of water when it comes to the ground. And he himself said that weight classes do not matter, war is war. So he shouldn't go back and say that he lost to the bigger man, that nate used his energy better than him, etc. Those sound like excuses to me.

At least he's more likeable than ronda (somewhat). because mcgregor seems to talk all that stuff to sell the fight. Afterwards he acknowledges and shows respect to his opponent. Ronda seems to be that way all the time.

I do find conor to be a hypocrite though. He calls Aldo a loser for laughing and taking somewhat of a joy that he lost to nate. But conor did the same thing to cowboy when he lost to dos anjos. And he also did it to Joseph Duffy (who made conor tap years ago) when he lost to Dustin Poirier.

I guess it's live by the trashtalk and die by the trashtalk.

Not upset at all that tate won. But the reason that i wanted Holm to win is because now everyone (well, at least a lot of people) is saying that her win against ronda is a fluke. And it's really not the case. She completely destroyed ronda in every single aspect of MMA. And i think she was on her way to retain the title if she kept tate at bay with her striking, like she had been doing in the 4th. And i hope that Tate finally beats ronda, because as bad as she got beat by Holm. A loss to Tate will probably sting ronda for decades, more than the headkick.

Brock Lesnar is a black belt in BJJ...

I'm sure nate at brown belt was leagues above conor at brown.

I guess what im trying to say is that conor didnt act like a brown belt on the ground. Also, jon jones is a blue belt and look how he subbed shogun (a black belt), vitor (another black belt) and lyoto (another black belt).

Top Bottom