What's new

The MMA Thread

That sounds like a good matchup but a tuff first fight in the UFC for Alvarez. I know he's been on top and in the spotlight for a while, but the UFC seems to make some fighters jittery when transitioning over.

I'll be rooting for Cerrone.

I would be pumped for the Cerrone/Alvarez fight, but I can't imagine Viacom/Bellator letting him out of their contract. If he does get released, it will be very indictive if it was Bjorn Rebney or the deep pockets that owned Bellator that was the problem.

If Silva is healthy and has a good camp, he'll tool Diaz. The kind of high volume striking that Diaz relies on won't rattle him, but it puts Diaz in a good position to get coldcocked on a counter. If, for some crazy reason, Silva decided to take him down, Diaz would be dangerous from his back, but I don't see Diaz being able to get the fight to the ground on his own. Diaz might be a fan favorite but I think it's Anderson's fight to lose, as long as he's healthy.

After that, I hope they both retire. Anderson doesn't have anything left to prove and I am tired of both of the Diaz brothers.

What I'm worried about is Silva mentally, as long as his leg is fully (and properly) healed, it will be stronger than it was before the Weidman fight, but mentally, throwing it and checking with it, will be scary. If Silva is in full form, he'll handle Diaz with ease. Considering Anderson is coming off a two fight losing streak, which I believe is the first of his career, I'm sure he picked Diaz for two reasons, one it will sell and make him lots of money and two he believes he'll win with ease.

I hope you guys are right about Diaz vs Silva. If Diaz some how wins my little brother will NEVER let me forget it.

Last edited:
I wonder if Diaz will show up the pressers, etc.

According to his pres release video... Or, a Tommy Toe Hold version of what that looks like, it suggests that Diaz has not committed to much of the pre and post fight pressers (or "beauty pageant" obligations).

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ In the Above post, not safe for work language. Heads up.

First time I've ever agreed with Tito Ortiz:

"If guys use TRT, they need to retire."

Last edited:
Apparantly Jones and Cormier got into a brawl during a staredown for the press. Cormier shoved him, Jones threw a punch then they crashed through the backdrop. Apparently they both were throwing punches and kicks.

I just saw the video (phone), standard-issue staredown taunt gone bad...most likely to generate even more publicity.

Just watched the scuffle in a few different videos.

kind of funny actually.

Edit: even more funny...

NSAC looks like they want to take action on jones/cormier scuffle.

"This is certainly not a proud moment for the UFC organization. We expect more from our athletes, especially these two gentlemen, who are very well-trained and highly educated professionals. Their actions were clearly a violation of the UFC's code of conduct. The Nevada State Athletic Commission has requested a video copy of the incident, and the UFC is cooperating fully with them in order to come to a quick resolution when it comes to possible penalties for both fighters.... We are going to reserve our right to penalize both fighters after the commission has made a decision. We expect more from our athletes and we are prepared to levy sanctions to reinforce the appropriate behavior. There are going to be ramifications. Whether you're the champion, or this is your first fight in the UFC, there are going to be ramifications from the UFC for these actions."

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/4/59...-footage-ufc-code-of-conduct-santions-ufc-178

Last edited:
Reminds me of the first primetime Strike force card when they had the big hoopla kurfuful post fight (on Fox I think).

It was Mayham Miller and someone and the commentators were even saying "come on guys, we're on national TV".

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, that post-fight brawl was between Mayhem Miller and the Diaz brothers/Melendez/Jake Shields

Also i kind of feel that more of the blame should be put on cormier, he likes to instigate anyway.

remember the cummins staredown

proxy.php

I wish they'd start handing out large fines for shoves etc at the staredowns. I think it makes MMA look bad.

The brawl on CBS was bad. Coker (or other strikeforce brass) sent Mayhem into the cage to try to book a fight with the newly free agent Shields. (In their previous bout, Mayhem had Shields in a deep rear naked choke only for Shields to get saved by the bell). Mayhem goes into the cage, and says "How about a rematch, buddy?" to Shields, then his gang, I mean teammates, Diaz 1, Diaz 2 and Gil Melendez got him down while they all stood around kicking him. I think charges should have been filed or at the very least investigated. That was the last MMA event on CBS.

Last edited:
Also i kind of feel that more of the blame should be put on cormier, he likes to instigate anyway.

remember the cummins staredown

proxy.php

I agree. There was no need for Cormier to shove Jones, it didn't look like Jones was instigating anything. The difference between this recent incident and the Cummins shove is that Jones actually retaliated a bit. He seemed to clip Cormier and get the better of him before Cormier decided he would be better off leaving the scene in a hurry:lol:

These encounters are awkward and probably don't need to happen that much. Maybe a photo-op between the 2 fighters right after the weigh-ins should be the extent of their direct interaction before a fight. They shouldn't have to have a staredown at every press event leading up to the fight - it's unnatural. These guys are paid to pit their bodies and skill against their opponent in a cage, we shouldn't expect them to hug it out in the days leading up to the fight.

Top Bottom