What's new

Inexpensive way to try a straight?

question is, what's your budget? I have never used one of these disposable blade straights, and can't give an opinion of them. What I do have are five months experience with real straights after about a year of using a DE. Ruprazor.com has some beginner straights, as well as thewellhonedrazor.com (they have Wapienicas for $45.00, this is the straight I started with and is still my best shaver; although mine came from Ruprazor) Sorry, I don't know how to put a link on here. Either of these places can get you started with a real razor for less than $100.00; and if you decide it isn't for you, I am sure you will have no problem selling your razor to someone else. I myself am constantly looking for good deals on Wapis.

-JLW

There have been some reasonably good prices on this site.
If you go to E-bay get one that is "shave ready". If it is not, it will have to honed, another $ 20-30 expense.

you can find some shave ready shavers on this site for 30-50 usd that will provide a good shave. put up an add in the buy/sell/trade subforum titled WTB(want to buy)

question is, what's your budget? I have never used one of these disposable blade straights, and can't give an opinion of them. What I do have are five months experience with real straights after about a year of using a DE. Ruprazor.com has some beginner straights, as well as thewellhonedrazor.com (they have Wapienicas for $45.00, this is the straight I started with and is still my best shaver; although mine came from Ruprazor) Sorry, I don't know how to put a link on here. Either of these places can get you started with a real razor for less than $100.00; and if you decide it isn't for you, I am sure you will have no problem selling your razor to someone else. I myself am constantly looking for good deals on Wapis.

-JLW

As far as I know, The Well Honed Razor has been inactive for quite sometime, just so you know.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would advise a shave ready razor from BST. It would give you an idea. Always depend on your budget.

Or, you can always borrow one. I was lucky enough to be able to do that and I was hooked!

I saw a packet of Gillette disposable straight safety razors recently. They cost about $3 - you might look into that. I haven't tried them so can't make a comparison - but I'm sure it would give you some idea.

on the eBay you can get a decent vintage for ~$25, then send it out for honing(there are ppl that do that for free, try the SRD forum)) and you are set.

I can tell you from personal experience that although you can get ecent shaves from the disposable blade straights like the ones at Sally, you cannot justly gauge the straight razor experience by them. I used a couple of the disposable blade straights from march until recently and I will tell you now that your time and money are much better spent getting a shave ready straight from the B/S/T on here. A real straight is so much more forgiving that comparing the two types is like comparing a Ford Festiva with a Cadilac. Don't waste your time.

I spent less than $5 on one had a couple of shaves. Than I knew I could do it. I didn't expect a great shave but was surprised at how well it went. I think the small investment in confidence was well worth it. I ordered my Dovo immediately there after.

Top Bottom