What's new

Lux Razor

*sigh* you are all just making me want to add a lux to my collection. OK, it is more aggressive than a tech. Even the older tech's with the triangle slots and the NEW top?

How do they compare with the feather portable?

Hardly:
It just that the detail is so small there's nothing really to see.
Only a sledge hammer could make a mess of a Lux.
But since you insist.
proxy.php

Thank you. Closeup photos are nice to see.:001_smile

*sigh* you are all just making me want to add a lux to my collection. OK, it is more aggressive than a tech. Even the older tech's with the triangle slots and the NEW top?

How do they compare with the feather portable?

More aggressive than either. To me it felt like a Slim Adjustable at about an 8 or even 9 setting. And that was with a gentle blade i.e. red personna. Can't imagine it with a Feather. Yikes!

I've seen people complain about the quality of construction of these. Since I've had mine several months now, I've got mine figured out. It used to seem like it had a rough spot as cooncatbob mentioned, but I must have smoothed it out with my face.

The thing with mine is that you can shift the blade some before it's tight. I have to make sure the blade is even on both sides or it will tear me a new one.

The other thing is that one side of it is more aggressive than the other.

It's even replaced my Merkur classic for daily use.

BTW- I've had excellent results with Polsilver blades. Maybe they work well together being both made in Poland

Well I was purchased mine before that last post was made, so hopefully I won't have those problems. I think their shipping estimate is cracked. I purchased it Saturday, and the shipping estimator thinks it will be here on Monday. I can't even get a letter across town in that much time.

Oh well, I can't wait to try it, I have been sitting on the fence for a month or so on this one.

Well I was purchased mine before that last post was made, so hopefully I won't have those problems. I think their shipping estimate is cracked. I purchased it Saturday, and the shipping estimator thinks it will be here on Monday. I can't even get a letter across town in that much time.

Oh well, I can't wait to try it, I have been sitting on the fence for a month or so on this one.

I never intended that to come across as a bad thing. I use it to my advantage. Just have to keep the blade even when I change it. I use the soft side on sensitive areas and the aggressive side to really take care of the stubble :biggrin:

I measured the pins on my Lux and they are actually larger then the pins on my HD.
.191 vs .188
The out side to out side measurement on the pins is 1.186 fr the Lux vs 1.190 for the HD.
The blade on the Lux cap doesn't seem to be any sloppier then the HD.
Both of my Lux measure out the same.
The blade sits much flatter on the cap with the HD making the blade more self centering.
The high arch and lack of flat setting points make setting the blade evenly more more up to the user.

Cooncat, how is the shave? What blades are you using in it. Is it forgiving at all? Any cuts, nicks, even when being careful. Looking forward to your insights.

Cooncat, how is the shave? What blades are you using in it. Is it forgiving at all? Any cuts, nicks, even when being careful. Looking forward to your insights.

I use an IP.
I had no problems on my face but I did get a weeper above my right ear while shaving my head.
This shave took place before I polished the edges of the guide bars.
This is a more aggressive razor and I'm not sure if it's because it has more blade gap or because of the extra arch in the blade.
It did seem to require a higher hold (more perpendicular) to the face then my Gillette or Progress razors.

Shaved with it again and polishing the edge of the guide bars made a big improvement, it glides now.
For those of you without a buffer you could 1st wet sand the edges of the guide bars with 320 grit then polish it with 600 grit.
This razor is aggressive and has a very light head so it's a bit different then any of my other razor.
A Feather might work really good or really bad.

Cooncatbob your probably getting tired of the questions but can you tell me if this razor is as aggressive as a slant?

If I were anybody who was curious about it, and I once was, I would go ahead and pick one up. They're only about $6 US plus postage from open_razor on ebay.

Besides, if you don't like it, you could always send yours to me! :wink:

I shaved with a Red IP in my Lux today (I bought one from Pauldog but never got around to using it; then I moved; then I couldn't find half my stuff for a month).

Because of the blade exposure (not the gap, but rather how much of the blade is protruding from the head) and a bit of carelessness, I did get a nick under my nose, but it shaves well. I would not call this razor as aggressive as a Slant, and I think that it's not as aggressive as a Slim on 8 either. I'd say it's about as aggressive as a Slim on 4 or 5, and a bit more than a Feather Portable. I like the weight of the razor, though as noted above I'd like a heavier head on the razor.

I'm impressed with the performance of the Red IP in this razor, and in the Feather Portable. I have been really ambivalent about the Red IPs in the razors I had matched with the blade before, but I might be more inclined to purchase the Red IPs again, now.

Overall, I got a good shave out of the gate. I missed a few spots during touchup, but with a bit more experience I think I will do better; it's a different razor, but I like it.

Guys,

I actually had a problem with this razor or it was the combination i used with the razor. I won this on the den on a newbie give away. So i dicided to give it a wirl, but unfortunatelly it didn't go well. I have big hands and since this razor has a small handle, I was not able to hold right. The blade i used was a ST301 which I do so well with my Lord Smart, it feel like it was tugging and i didn't even finished my shave. I tried switching blades with a personna and wow, it was worst. 5 minutes later, I just used my razor to finish what i had started.

Any ideas why this is? Was it my combination?

Thank you guys,

Dark

Guys,

I actually had a problem with this razor or it was the combination i used with the razor. I won this on the den on a newbie give away. So i dicided to give it a wirl, but unfortunatelly it didn't go well. I have big hands and since this razor has a small handle, I was not able to hold right. The blade i used was a ST301 which I do so well with my Lord Smart, it feel like it was tugging and i didn't even finished my shave. I tried switching blades with a personna and wow, it was worst. 5 minutes later, I just used my razor to finish what i had started.

Any ideas why this is? Was it my combination?

Thank you guys,

Dark

Due to the extra arch in the blade you need to adjust how you hold the razor. More perpendicular.
I 1st tried this razor with an IP and it was kinda rough, I smoothed out and polished the guide bar and put a Bic in it and it was much better.
Also this razor has the lightest head of any razor I know, lighter then a tech.
So this razor a different technique then the razors we are used to Gillette and Merkurs.

Top Bottom