What's new

Lux Razor

Well, the Treet Blue Special didn't cut it today with the Lux. I worked on one cheek and then decided that it was time to grab the conveniently available and already loaded Slant with Feather. Yeah, I got a little slice (it's not easy changing to a Slant first thing in the morning), but it's a little bump/scar on my neck that sometimes gets scraped anyway.

OK, so though I continue to very much like the Lux, (a) I must say that I guess the Treet Blue Specials are not for me, and (b) the Slant is a seriously powerful tool for shaving. (yeah, I know -- "DUH SOAPBOX!")

I had my first shave this morning, with Derby (used 2xs before). Not bad at all, quite excellent. I'm going to use a fresh IP tomorrow and see how it goes. I like the LUX.

I like the LUX for N-S, S-N. But for some reason I am having a bit of trouble E-W/W-E. I just can't get the angle right for some reason. Oh well, it shaves very well... I got BBS this morning. it will just take some more work on my part to get the E-W strokes down.

I like the LUX for N-S, S-N. But for some reason I am having a bit of trouble E-W/W-E. I just can't get the angle right for some reason. Oh well, it shaves very well... I got BBS this morning. it will just take some more work on my part to get the E-W strokes down.

I have trouble with the angle too.
I think it's a combination of the super light head and the extra arch that makes shaving with the Lux different then the razors were used to.

3rd shave - Better control and better feel. I had fewer problems with the E-W/W-E passes and the angle. It wasn't as prone to dig or skip. I am quite pleased with the results, although I did nick myself slightly under the ear (human error not a problem with the razor). I am currently waiting the results of the insurance claim on some damaged razors before I try cleaning up the New and then the NEW LUX will be tried.

Thanks for starting this thread. It pushed me off the fence and got me to try this great razor!

The Lux arrived today so I loaded it with a Red IP and lathered with J.M. Fraser's. I did 2 passes with it and would have to say it wasn't all that bad,with no cuts or weepers. The blade angle will take some getting use to because it's different than my SS and HD. It's more aggressive than what I was expecting but that can be a good thing sometimes,like when you have 3 days worth of stubble to shave like I did today. All in all it's not a bad little razor and it would be great to travel with since it lays almost flat when broken down.

A couple of shaves with the Derby reveal that the Derby still isn't my favorite blade in any razor I've tried.

I put a Croma Diamant in the Lux yesterday and used it yesterday and this morning. A little irritation, and not as smooth as I'd like. The blade has potential, but perhaps not in the Lux. I'll see how the Croma does tomorrow and then switch to a Bic, like I threatened to do over in this thread.

I received one of these too from Open-Razor... It's really well constructed, but I tried several times to get an irritation free shave from it... I got close, but not perfect. I'm not sure if it's the angle of the head or some other aspect. I only used a Derby blade - so I may need to go back and try again to eliminate the blade from the equation... But, I love the handle and I've stuck a Merkur classic head on it and I've been using that way for two weeks now.

I haven't tried many of the popular blades, however Bics and Polsilvers have worked well for me in my Lux.

My verdict on the Croma is that, well, it's just okay. I got a DFS (more or less) this morning with a third-shave Croma, but I paid for it with quite a bit of irritation on my neck. I like to think my technique with the Lux has settled in, but either the Croma is short-lived and a bit harsh, or else I've got more work to do. Tomorrow I think I'll try the Bic (like I've been saying I'll do for a while).

I had real good luck with the LUX and the 7 O'clock green. However, when I went back to other razors, I ended up with irritation. I guess I got too used to the LUX angles (that and I did stupid changes to my prep that weren't needed)

I have not been too impressed with the Croma. Yes, I got DFS; however, I just didn't like the feel of my skin afterwards, I didn't get bumps, but it still felt a touch irritated.

I had real good luck with the LUX and the 7 O'clock green. However, when I went back to other razors, I ended up with irritation. I guess I got too used to the LUX angles (that and I did stupid changes to my prep that weren't needed)

I have not been too impressed with the Croma. Yes, I got DFS; however, I just didn't like the feel of my skin afterwards, I didn't get bumps, but it still felt a touch irritated.

Hey, thanks for the confirmation of my observations! I appreciate it. I should have some 7 O'Clocks around to try, so perhaps I'll do that next, after the Bic.

Yeah, the Bic and Croma rate "Average" to "Below Average" (though with the number of blade brands and makes available to purchase dropping like a steel safe, "Average" is going to get pretty crappy pretty soon). The contrast between these two and the Czech "Tiger" I used this morning was no comparison. The Tiger blades are just fan-damn-tastic, and they, too, have been cut from production. They're not worth what "people" are currently charging for them, since you can get Feathers for less, but it's a mighty fine blade and pairs up nicely with the Lux.

Sad to see them go.

This razor & a NOS Aeterna blade gave me the closest shave i've had in my life:eek::eek::eek:

I will have to repeat what I did last night but change one variable at a time to see....:tongue_sm

**** Pommes Frites:w00t::w00t: As kids in Sweden said last year :001_rolle

All the BEST!
:smile:Magnus

Yeah, the Bic and Croma rate "Average" to "Below Average" (though with the number of blade brands and makes available to purchase dropping like a steel safe, "Average" is going to get pretty crappy pretty soon). The contrast between these two and the Czech "Tiger" I used this morning was no comparison. The Tiger blades are just fan-damn-tastic, and they, too, have been cut from production. They're not worth what "people" are currently charging for them, since you can get Feathers for less, but it's a mighty fine blade and pairs up nicely with the Lux.

Sad to see them go.

Well you don't inspire me to try the Bic blades I got in dridiot's sample pack.

I keep seeing mention of blades going out of production... Is there a thread that lists what blades are currently still in production? I don't see any point in trying out a blade that I will have to bulk order or never get again.

Well you don't inspire me to try the Bic blades I got in dridiot's sample pack.

I know some people like them, but I think there are a lot better blades available. from dridiot's sampler pack, I really, really like the KAI blades.

I keep seeing mention of blades going out of production... Is there a thread that lists what blades are currently still in production? I don't see any point in trying out a blade that I will have to bulk order or never get again.

Good point. Perhaps you should start a wiki page...? :smile: I'll be happy to help.

WOW I got a spectacular shave with the Lux and the Tiger (Czech) this morning. I mean, BBS and comfy. I used the inexpensive Godrej "Cool" (mentholated) shave cream. A few weepers on my neck and minor/moderate sting with the alum block. But oh JOY the shave. Wow.

I'm really gonna miss these Tigers. I mean, Feathers are fantastic blades, but a little variety is nice now and again. Perhaps the Aeternas that Mace has sent will be a nice consolation--if they stay in production!!

Top Bottom