What's new

Zamak hating seems to be trendy these days

Oh I agree completely on this. I'm just starting to see instances of people here not recommending razors as if the fact that it's made from Zamak means you shouldn't consider it or even worse it will shave differently due to the base metal.

BTW as far as muhle goes, if you don't like the handles (I'm not a fan myself) consider only buying the head. It's $25 shipped for an R41 head at Connaught

Hmm, gotta say I never seen this complaint before.

Hmm, gotta say I never seen this complaint before.

+1

As far as I can remember, nobody ever said the shave itself is inferior. The metal? Sure it is, without a doubt.

Actually, it is not that the metal is inferior. The metal is not the best choice to make razors. Why? Because Zamak is sensitive to alkaline substances. Once the plating is compromised, it is only a matter of time, it won't last long.

Why? Because shaving soap/cream is alkaline.

FaTip makes brass razors considerably cheaper than any Merkur/EJ/Muhle.
True ... much more aggressive too.

Not that the discussion is relevant for me; my razors are all plated brass.
But if a zinc alloy was good enough for German car door handles and mirror studs, then why should it not be tough enough for razors?

True ... much more aggressive too.

Not that the discussion is relevant for me; my razors are all plated brass.
But if a zinc alloy was good enough for German car door handles and mirror studs, then why should it not be tough enough for razors?

See my other post.

IMO, Zamak is not an inferior metal, I am sure it has lots of better applications, but not to make razors.
As far as making razors go, Zamak is a very , very poor choice, IMHO.

What I find interesting is that my travel razor is a 50 year old Gillette because I can trust it to be rugged and reliable. I wouldn't dare travel with my Jagger Zink headed modern marvel because it's just too darned delicate.

Gillette produced thousands of those brass razors in three piece, TTO and TTO adjustable models without the benefit of NC Mills or any other "modern" production aides and they sold them for under $5.00 generally.

Here we are, 50+ years later in the age of digitally controlled everything and the best we can do is a pot-metal shaver with crappy plating and if we want a half-decent one of those we have to pay $35+ and be prepared to replace it every few years. Progress?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't see it as hate, just a fact. Pure and simple. Seems to me that these days, in many milieus, people conflate facts with hating or loving/endorsing a particular item or policy.

Bravo.

Bob: "I find that paper is not as durable a material for bed sheets as cotton."
Frank: "Why all the 'paper hate'?"

I don't hate zamak...I shaved with an EJ for years. But I will only use brass/bronze or SS. I don't want to worry about my razor rotting or breaking. And I prefer rhodium, and I have been told zamak cannot be replated.

FYSA, a dollar bought a lot more back when the vintage Gillette of today was new.

$5 in 1945 -> $65.46 in 2014

$5 in 1955 -> $43.64 in 2014

$5 in 1965 -> $37.35 in 2014

That is just inflation. In the US and some other markets the cost of labor is probably much greater today compared to then, even in constant dollars.

I don't have anything against Zamak. I think if a Zamak razor is made well and you take care of it, it will last a long time. I don't know how long, yet, maybe longer than I last.

Another thought: The US made Weber at $70 is a bargain. My grandson, I hope, will be using it one day.

Source: http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom