What's new

Zamak hating seems to be trendy these days

Okay ... Porsche door handles keep up for decades. Old ones are known for pitting, but it takes a long time. What do you do to your razors to destroy them in two years?

I shave with them, I rinse them off with running water, I carefully shake them dry. I don't drop them, I don't bang them against anything. I have softened water in the house. They aren't exposed to any kind of chemicals, cleaning or otherwise. I never over-tighten them. In other words, I treat them like they should be treated and I probably treat them more carefully than I need to.

I guess the point I'm making is that in the alloy head "lottery", if you will, I've had 2 bad draws in less than 2 years. Maybe I could buy 50 more alloy head razors and it wouldn't happen again but the worry and the doubt are still always going to be there. I know that I can be just as happy or happier with razors that don't have alloy heads and I know that I don't have to ever worry about them rotting or disintegrating during my life time so I'm just choosing to not subject myself to potential problems since I can easily avoid it. I'm done with alloys with the one exception of the one I already own which is most likely going to be sold anyway because I have more razors right now than I really want or need.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion. A lot of people have alloy head razors and like them a lot. Enjoy them! (While you can...:wink2::laugh:)

I see it more as people trying to justify their spending of hundreds of dollars on stainless razors.

There are thousands of people with these zinc alloy razors that have experienced no issues at all. In fact, there are many more people with good experiences than negative ones.

I read posts about these stainless razors and think that they're more of a vanity purchase to be bragged about than them being superior shavers. I see people saying that they will last many lifetimes, but I've only got the one, so what difference does it make.
i have a feather stainless, of all of my razors it is, sadly, my favorite shaver. Price in this case is not an excuse for me to enjoy this razor above the others.

I have a few of the zamak razors in my rotation. They shave well enough, but after having the two of the ones I bought early on pit out on me... I dry them, wax them and keep them in a drawer with desiccant after I am done with them. I have already lost one 2011 R-41 head to moisture, never again.

I thought they were vanity purchases myself until I started buying the more expensive razors. Toggle? No better than my fatboys. Bell tube aristocrat? Cant tell the difference between it and any other old type of the same weight. Double ring? Same as the bell tube. Regent tech, presidents, diplomats... All the same as a 48-50 aristocrat. British aristo #16? Same as... Ok that one is awesome! Second favorite. When I bought a feather stainless, I expected it to be similar to a tech. It is, but it is not. Whether it is the weight of the handle, the balance of the razor, angle of the head or some combination of the rest; that razor is my top favorite.

As to the "it will last many lifetimes"; I wonder how many of those comments are made by people planning ahead, how many parents or those who hope to be parents wanting to pass it along to their heirs, or even a few preppers. To some people, the longevity of something they love makes a difference.

Most Zamak razors these days aren't made to last a lifetime. We live in a disposable society where it's easier to just throw something out and get a new one. So Zamak razors have their place, and at their price point maybe they are the best choice for some people. I just don't want people buying an all metal razor and thinking that it will last a lifetime when it likely won't survive a drop or two.

In switching from a Zamak EJ razor to an ATT all stainless steel one, one of the things that stood out to me was just screwing the handle on. The EJ razor wasn't smooth at all, almost like their was some microscopic sand in the threads. I had two of these and both were the same. I was always careful not to over tighten the handle in fear of breaking something even when I had no idea what Zamak was.

The ATT is just as smooth as could be and I can crank it down as hard as I want to without fear of breaking anything. Along with the large price difference between these razors there is also an absolutely huge quality difference.

I have no doubt that if I kept using the two EJ razors I had that both would have eventually broken. I'm not telling anyone not to buy a Zamak razor, or someone new to buy a $185 ATT razor, just know that with many of the current production Zamak razors you are buying a disposable razor that will likely last three to five years or one good drop whichever comes first.

Zamak at the $25 to $30 price point might fit someone's current needs perfectly. If someone is looking at a $60 Zamak razor I'll usually suggest an all stainless steel Weber for $10 more.

I think it's more concerning that so may guys drop their razors. I can't recall the last time I dropped a razor. Back to the OP's question, I love my Edwin Jagger razor, will it last a lifetime? Probably not, but if and when it does fail I'll replace it for a reasonable cost. As long as I keep it clean and not soaking wet I expect it'll last a good few years yet.

Will there be Zamak razors around in 50, 75, 100 years? Perhaps, but I think it's a lot less likely than the number of vintage Gillette, Schick and Gem razors that reached old, or even ancient age.

There's also the price variable of when a razor fails. I will feel differently if I lose a Lord razor or cheap Chinese knock off as opposed to a $40-$70 Merkur or EJ.

Did the razor last 10 years or 1-2 years? Did I drop or bang the razor against something or did the chrome simply bubble up and fail?

Along with Weber PH Bulldogs, I'm a big fan of Cadet/RazoRock/Pearl razors, both open comb and safety bar versions. They provide excellent shaves for me, are inexpensive and look good. Do I expect them to still be around in 20 years? No. However, they are so inexpensive, that I've purchased back up Cadets just for such an occasion.

Do I expect my Weber PH to be around in 20 years? Absolutely, and much longer.

I haven't dropped any razors ::knocks on wood:: But if I did, I would rather try to bend a razor back into shape (I bought a razor that was bent when I got it and I was able to bend it back into shaving form) than to worry about some microscopic crack in the chrome plating where water will get in and cause the chrome to bubble and the zamak to rot.

I've been wet shaving for just under 2 years and in that time, I've had an alloy head snap off on me as well as had the finish bubbling up and chipping off of a razor I LOVED after only 2 weeks of use! My experience hasn't resulted in hate for alloys but it has soured me on them and I won't buy any more of them. I currently have 6 razors and only 1 has an alloy head. It's most likely the first one I'd sell.

The issue has nothing to do with the quality of shave you can get with an alloy head. My favorite shaver of all time had an alloy head that went bad and sadly, I can't bring myself to replace it only to worry about when it's going to happen again. An alloy head is only as good as the integrity of its finish. Once that finish is compromised, it's the beginning of the end for that razor head. If the finish on a brass razor is compromised, it's merely a cosmetic issue. The head will continue to last for multiple decades or longer.

That's exactly my point. The finish bubbling and chipping off in two weeks has nothing to do with Zamak. It's shoddy construction and terrible plating.

As people have mentioned I don't expect them to last a lifetime, but even then there a fair number of old merkurs around. It seems silly to me when folks start recommend someone doesn't buy a razor specifically because it's made of Zamak, or even worse claim the shave will be different (???). The only razors I can even think of costing more than $40 are the merkur progress/futur. People here tend to cycle through razors pretty rapidly anyway, it isn't like everything someone buys is going to be a family heirloom. Our dads/grandfathers didn't have a stable of razors.

Last edited:
I'll buy a cheap Cadet because I like the OC head, and besides Cadets have nice brass handles unlike Jaggers, Muhles, etc. If the zamak head rots or breaks, I'm not out much money and I still have a nice handle. But some zamak razors (Progress, Futur, Vision, etc.) cost far more than I would ever pay for something that has a fairly good chance of self-destructing within a few years. If I pay more than $30.00 for a razor, I want something that I'm sure will last. I like things that are finely crafted from high quality materials. This is simply my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it.

. If someone is looking at a $60 Zamak razor I'll usually suggest an all stainless steel Weber for $10 more.
Except that that Weber is only $70 in America. In Europe, you pay a lot more, and I think that is also true for other continents. Shipping and taxes.

I have heard of a lot more instances where someone dropped their Zamak razor and the screw head broke clean off than a brass or stainless razor head bent and could not be corrected.

Two of my favourite vintage gillettes has brassing/pitting and I have no desire or need to get them replated and expect them to last my lifetime. If they were made of Zamak, they would simply not exist today. Its not hating, its that Zamak is an inferior material when compared to Stainless or Brass.

Its not hating, its that Zamak is an inferior material when compared to Stainless or Brass.

Nuff said ...

I love my R41 but when it dies, I won't replace it. No more Zamak for me. Plus, there is always an alternative, perhaps more expensive, but to me that doesn't really matter. I want quality, be it vintage brass or modern stainless steel, which I do not own yet btw.

My Progress most likely will last a long time, I never use it so I expect it to last many years.

I don't expect my $50,000.00 car, my $$5,000.00 zero-turn radius mower, my $500.00 dishwasher, or my $50 jeans to last forever.

Why should I expect a $50 razor to last more than a few years??

If every razor was made to last forever, how long would the manufacturers stay in business? It might be the same argument as why don't manufacturers make "no-run" pantyhose, when it is obvious that they could?

I spend more on fast-food in a week (in a meal, if i have 2-3 people with me) than a decent pot metal razor costs. My Dodge Ram truck costs more to fill up with gas every week than 98% of all brand new DE razors made today. I can get a new stainless steel Weber, with shipping, for less than I spend on a tank of gas, too. A decent pair of Men's dress shoes costs as much as most "high-end" stainless steel razors, and 5 years from now, with daily use, the shoes will be long forgotten.

So what is my point? I forgot!!:laugh:

If every razor was made to last forever, how long would the manufacturers stay in business?

For how long has Gillette been around? Sure their main purpose was selling blades, the razors were often given away.
They moved on to cartridges because we allowed them to. But they produced quality razors for over 60 years. I am counting only until mid 60s ... :lol:

Nope, they didn't have to, they had brass or steel razors, no Zamak! (And they handed them down in most cases)
Stainless steel razors are newer than Zamak razors

People don't collect razors because they're going to break, they do it as a hobby. The point is its silly to worry about an heirloom when you have four different vintage Gillettes, two versions of an R41, two different ATT baseplates, etc. You really think people have RAD because they're worried about their R41 going poof?

I'll buy a cheap Cadet because I like the OC head, and besides Cadets have nice brass handles unlike Jaggers, Muhles, etc. If the zamak head rots or breaks, I'm not out much money and I still have a nice handle. But some zamak razors (Progress, Futur, Vision, etc.) cost far more than I would ever pay for something that has a fairly good chance of self-destructing within a few years. If I pay more than $30.00 for a razor, I want something that I'm sure will last. I like things that are finely crafted from high quality materials. This is simply my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it.
Oh I agree completely on this. I'm just starting to see instances of people here not recommending razors as if the fact that it's made from Zamak means you shouldn't consider it or even worse it will shave differently due to the base metal.

BTW as far as muhle goes, if you don't like the handles (I'm not a fan myself) consider only buying the head. It's $25 shipped for an R41 head at Connaught

Top Bottom