What's new

Your input requested Edmond Allens belt quality

Recently purchased a new Cordovan dress belt from Edmond Allens. The belt is unusually constructed having 3 sections with vertical seams connecting the sections. Have never seen this type of construction in a dress belt and certainly not at this price point.

Photos of both vertical stitch lines attached. What say you?

IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3513.jpeg

I've never had anything made of Cordovan, but for whatever it's worth I have had several Allen Edmonds leather belts over the years. That said, I've never seen a belt made that way. Guessing so they can use smaller pieces of leather?

Reactions: ctr
It is functional, but I would not like the look of those seams and their potential to snag on belt loops. Horse is harder to get in longer lengths. I may be misremembering and confusing Beltman with another belt craftsman but years ago he charged something like +$8, +$15, ... for horse hide belts when their length got beyond 36" or so. Now his website indicates that if you want one longer than 38" that you will have to wait. Looks like AE has found a different approach.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Strange....but I actually like it. I'm trying to think of a practical reason for it....I can't think of a GOOD reason for the longitudinal seams, but could it be to keep your holster from slipping around when you take off your pants? Just brane stormin' here...

Strange....but I actually like it. I'm trying to think of a practical reason for it....I can't think of a GOOD reason for the longitudinal seams, but could it be to keep your holster from slipping around when you take off your pants? Just brane stormin' here...

Downside is the belt snags pant loops every time putting the belt on. Not to mention just looks plain weird.

What would frustrate me is that you can’t see the vertical stitching from the images on their website.

I don’t mind it, but it makes the belt more casual and might not be what you want.

As others have said, I expect it is to be able to use smaller pieces of leather - I don’t know a lot about cordovan but isn’t it from only a single part of the horse’s rear and therefore finding it in a belt length is probably not that easy?

What would frustrate me is that you can’t see the vertical stitching from the images on their website.

I don’t mind it, but it makes the belt more casual and might not be what you want.

As others have said, I expect it is to be able to use smaller pieces of leather - I don’t know a lot about cordovan but isn’t it from only a single part of the horse’s rear and therefore finding it in a belt length is probably not that easy?

Feel misled by the website. Would have chosen another option if all information were available.

As a practical matter, I believe that each shell is about 15" in diameter. A good shoe maker can get one shoe out of each shell (2 shells per hide). Maybe more for wingtips that use smaller pieces sewn together. The trimmings are used for watch straps, wallets, keyfobs and small items. I don't think that AE is cheating you, it's just the nature of the material. Plain old horse hide you could easily get a 72" belt in a single run, like normal leather. That's not the case with shell. Probably not an ideal material for belts for the reasons that you point out - some joins will be required. AE is very reputable so it should be easy to get a full refund.

I’m not a fan of those pics, especially for a dress belt.

I used to be able to go into one of their stores and bought some shoes from them at the time. I always thought their belts were overpriced for the product given.

The last couple pair I bought from them were poor quality (one went back the next day, it’s replacement pair showed the same issue later) and went along with their slipping quality reputation that was starting to float around. I think production went offshore.

But yeah. I’m not looking to buy anything else from them.

I’m not a fan of those pics, especially for a dress belt.

I used to be able to go into one of their stores and bought some shoes from them at the time. I always thought their belts were overpriced for the product given.

The last couple pair I bought from them were poor quality (one went back the next day, it’s replacement pair showed the same issue later) and went along with their slipping quality reputation that was starting to float around. I think production went offshore.

But yeah. I’m not looking to buy anything else from them.
I have A width feet so am their prisoner. Have had good luck with shoe purchases so far but awful luck getting a good pair of dress boots. Serious construction flaws and obviously no quality control. Lots of their stuff is from overseas but the stuffy dressy styles I prefer are still made in Wisconsin.

I have one of their belts, color and broguing to match my dress boots. OK belt, I guess. Not for the price point, probably, but I wanted the right color.

Top Bottom