What's new

Your "go-to" nibblies to go with Port ... ??

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Soon enough, I'll be taking a bottle of LBV Port from my cellar and opening it to enjoy over the holidays. My plan is to enjoy it with walnuts and stilton cheese.

1605737218824.png

What's your "go-to" favourites to nibble on with port? I'd love to try some of your ideas ...

Soon enough, I'll be taking a bottle of LBV Port from my cellar and opening it to enjoy over the holidays. My plan is to enjoy it with walnuts and stilton cheese.

View attachment 1184074

What's your "go-to" favourites to nibble on with port? I'd love to try some of your ideas ...
You nailed it. Basically what is in your pic for me. Nuts, some dried fruit, crackers/bread sticks and Stilton and/or other blues. A great blue cheese is 100% essential IMO.

This thread reminds me to open a bottle of port soon. It is been a couple of years and I have a pretty good selection of Taylor, Fonseca, Graham and other vintage ports in my cellar. Damned COVID made me antisocial!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A cigar and an English cheddar.

No cigar for me, but the cheddar sounds good! (Were I a smoker, I might agree on the cigar!)

You nailed it. Basically what is in your pic for me.

To be fair, I got the photo off the internet.

This thread reminds me to open a bottle of port soon. ... Damned COVID made me antisocial!

Well, all the more port for you!

Fruitcake

I will have to see if I can get any from my Mum ...

I like to add some figs

Ah!

I wonder if medjool dates would work?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have never had Port paired with anything. So how do you do it? Enough snacks for the entire glass? Or just a few sips? Or whatever the heck you want.

Put the cheese on crackers or just eat it alone?

My mom likes Figs and walnuts with Port. I am good paring Port with some quejo Sao Jorge on a buttered papo seco. Also, I was served some god-awful fruit cake by a relative one Christmas eve and found sipping a nice port cut through that dry cake and made it palatable, lol.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My mom likes Figs and walnuts with Port. I am good paring Port with some quejo Sao Jorge on a buttered papo seco. Also, I was served some god-awful fruit cake by a relative one Christmas eve and found sipping a nice port cut through that dry cake and made it palatable, lol.
Better with wonderfully aged, not too sweet, very dense fruitcake that has been well aged with Sherry or brandy. A very thin slice spread with a bit of Stilton would be superb with well aged vintage Port.

You have inspired me to open a '94 Warre's.

Yikes this thread is dangerous... all good suggestions, and definitely making me want to open something if I could find enough people to help me drink it!
@Tirvine I'd love to hear how that '94 Warre's turns out, my oldest are a couple '00 Churchill's.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yikes this thread is dangerous... all good suggestions, and definitely making me want to open something if I could find enough people to help me drink it!
@Tirvine I'd love to hear how that '94 Warre's turns out, my oldest are a couple '00 Churchill's.
Well it will probably occur in December. Right now Austin is still hitting the 80s, not Port drinking weather, more like negronis on the deck.

I have never had Port paired with anything. So how do you do it? Enough snacks for the entire glass? Or just a few sips? Or whatever the heck you want.

Do it as you see fit. I usually put the cheese on a cracker or thin slice of French or Italian bread. It makes for a nice change of pace when you sip the port.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I think most people drink port (and sherry, madeira) in smaller glasses and smaller quantities, compared to "regular wine". So I just get "enough" nibblies to balance out the amount of the drink so I can enjoy a little bit of both together and have the tastes blend together in my mouth.

I'm a "cheese alone" guy rather than "on crackers" but that's personal preference.

1014B2CB-8589-444E-BE00-1D90B4BF55F5.jpeg

Snacks?! How about some grilled sardines with boiled potatoes and pickled peppers and onions!

Actually, absolutely bummed that I haven’t been able to get back to Porto since 2017

Last Thanksgiving we did Port with Rogue River Blue on a pretty good charcuterie board.

Nibbling dark chocolate with Port is also pretty delicious.

I wish I had obtained some vintage Port years ago. I will be in my 60s before my vintage Port is ready.

Last edited:
.... Damned COVID made me antisocial!

Good to read this. I thought I was the only one falling into a bout if misanthropy.

Port wine with Stilton cheese.. with it. I have to try that - so far, I cannot imagine having cheese with wines like Port wine or Madeira.

My experience in the field of wine and cheese is limited to dry and woody - bouquet red wines together with cheeses like Reggianito, Sardo and Provolone. Also Blue cheese with a piece of crusty bread - a baguette, for example.

These kind of cheeses eaten together with sweet stuff like grapes or quince are quite dangerous for me, seriously.

That does look like a nice bottle, though! Post a pic and review when you open it! I still haven’t tried Vintage Port. My oldest bottles are 2011. I will get a couple bottles from 2016-18 soon, but they will have to cellar awhile....

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I had a nice bottle of port from our honeymoon that was 10 years old. It was from Lakewood Vineyards on Lake Seneca. I had some very dark chocolate as I sipped it. I like the Stilton idea though. I had a white Stilton with apricot once that was quite good by itself.

Top Bottom