What's new

Yaqi stainless steel Mellon razor head.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tuesday October 7th 2023

Razor : Yaqi 2nd Generation or V2 316 SSP Mellon head with a 316 SSP tear drop handle- Mfg 2023>, mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC. This razor is based off the Grand king double open comb razor from the 1940's self lubricating, it works off the idea of when rinsing the razor it traps water(top cap comb) and when brought back up to start the stroke it lubricates the soap(it works and V1 works slightly better IMO) With a light touch the shaves are great and issue free.
Blade : Treet platinum (4), sharp and comfort smooth with good longevity. Reasonable blade for a DFS.
Soap : Yaqi "the Green", very pleasant refreshing nature scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Coat tails" 24mm G4 synthetic. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Closest synthetic to a badger brush IMO.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi The Green splash(similar to Lacoste Green cologne scent)+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi 316SSP Mellon head with a Treet coated blade.
SOTD November 7 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, November 23rd 2023

Razor : Yaqi DE 2nd generation Mellon head 316 SSP , with a Yaqi teardrop 316 SSP handle (looks like a cannon barrel from the old sail ships). Mfg 2023>,tame mid range. Well designed, machining and finish QC are excellent. It is similar to the Grande Shave King razor from the 1940's that uses the concept of self lubricating as you rinse the razor it carries residual water to remoisturize you lather making it slicker. Had a stellar comfortable close shave this morning. The razor sang to me with a nice audio feedback of a sizzling sound as it snipped those whiskers.
Blade : Gillette Polsilver SI (2), sharp and smooth with great longevity.
Soap :Cyril R Salter Wild rose cream- nice rose scented cream 5-6/10 strength with excellent lather qualities. Very nice cream.
Brush : Yaqi " Lucky dice" 26mm brown whiskers fan knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice large handle for large hands, 26mm knots are awesome.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : I.B Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :
Dial 10 stellar.jpg
or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Mellon 316SSP V2 razor with a Gillette Polsilver SI blade.
SOTD November 23 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, December 5th 2023

Razor : Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head razor 316SSP with a teardrop 316SSP handle- Mfg 2023>, tame mid to mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC with great design from the past and latest better future upgrades. The razor performs well and is one of my favorites from a large rotation of other stainless steel razors. The audio feedback is a unique sizzling sound of whiskers being snipped off, they did not stand much of chance with razor & blade combination IMO. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Polsilver SI(5) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Polsilver is performing well with this razor.
Soap : Yaqi "The Green" nice fresh unique natural scent(Dupe of Lacoste green cologne" should of bought a tub of this great soap.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm 3band badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + great lather painter. Great little handled brush.
Post shave : Yaqi the Green aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Mellon head 316SSP razor with a excellent Polsilver SI blade. (It does not get much better for myself in shaving!).
SOTD December 5 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I placed my first order on AliExpress for a SS Mellon head from the Yaqi Factory Store and, after various signup discounts and lots of email order updates, it arrived in the UK after 10 days.
First impressions are positive as it seems to be nicely made and is a very similar shave to the aluminium RR SLOC2 that I once owned. I am using it with a RR SS Super Knurl handle that I had spare. It might be a little bit more aggressive but that could be down to the weight difference and it's still within the mild to medium range. Overall it makes me happy although I would prefer it if they hadn't put their brand on the side as I could pretend that I had a RR SS SLOC and forget I had to buy parts from China.

Ron R

I placed my first order on AliExpress for a SS Mellon head from the Yaqi Factory Store and, after various signup discounts and lots of email order updates, it arrived in the UK after 10 days.
First impressions are positive as it seems to be nicely made and is a very similar shave to the aluminium RR SLOC2 that I once owned. I am using it with a RR SS Super Knurl handle that I had spare. It might be a little bit more aggressive but that could be down to the weight difference and it's still within the mild to medium range. Overall it makes me happy although I would prefer it if they hadn't put their brand on the side as I could pretend that I had a RR SS SLOC and forget I had to buy parts from China.
For myself the more I used the Mellon 316 SSP head the more I realized it was a winner. The audio feedback is also nice, not sure it is because of the double open comb making a slightly different pitch like a sizzling sound. Regardless it shaves well and will be around in my den for a very long time. Enjoy!

For myself the more I used the Mellon 316 SSP head the more I realized it was a winner. The audio feedback is also nice, not sure it is because of the double open comb making a slightly different pitch like a sizzling sound. Regardless it shaves well and will be around in my den for a very long time. Enjoy!
Thanks yes plenty of audio feedback which adds to the experience. I was pleased with the aluminium RR SLOC2 but it was too light for the way I like to shave. I was surprised there wasn't a RR version in stainless steel given it's such a good design and they seem accomplished at using the material.
Within my mild to medium collection I would say this Mellon is more aggressive than my PAA-Meta4 but less aggressive than my RR SuperSlant L2. I've been thinking of selling my Feather ASD2 (the only razor I have sold and purchased again) as I can't think of a situation where I would choose it above these three razors (or my Rockwell 6S or EJ 3one6). I might use some of the proceeds to buy a milder SuperSlant base plate as the L2 does leave me needing balm.

Ron R

Thanks yes plenty of audio feedback which adds to the experience. I was pleased with the aluminium RR SLOC2 but it was too light for the way I like to shave. I was surprised there wasn't a RR version in stainless steel given it's such a good design and they seem accomplished at using the material.
Within my mild to medium collection I would say this Mellon is more aggressive than my PAA-Meta4 but less aggressive than my RR SuperSlant L2. I've been thinking of selling my Feather ASD2 (the only razor I have sold and purchased again) as I can't think of a situation where I would choose it above these three razors (or my Rockwell 6S or EJ 3one6). I might use some of the proceeds to buy a milder SuperSlant base plate as the L2 does leave me needing balm.
Razorock or I.B might come out later with a SLOC, they have been producing very fine machined razor products over the last 7 years.
I don't think the next SLOC will be aluminum, stainless 316 polished is more desired product folks want and they have the know how to produce one if there is a market for it. Yaqi had the Yaqi Mellon head in Zamak(mild to tame mid range ) and they sold a ton of those and now the 2nd generation 316 SSP Mellon head works. PAA also makes their Version of the Grande shave King razor so lots of companies to compete with.

Yaqi had the Yaqi Mellon head in Zamak(mild to tame mid range ) and they sold a ton of those and now the 2nd generation 316 SSP Mellon head works. PAA also makes their Version of the Grande shave King razor so lots of companies to compete with.
AliExpress suggests Yaqi have only directly sold 73 of the stainless steel Mellon heads which doesn't seem much for the investment they must have made in the production. Are they likely to have sold many via other channels?
There was a note in the package asking if I wanted to be a Yaqi distributor saying there would be a big discount if I committed to a minimum order of 100 units. I do buy a lot of razors to try but it would be a push to try out 100 of their products...
I don't really understand why people buy aluminium razors they just feel a bit cheap and inadequate even compared to zamak. I've stopped buying anything that's not stainless steel now as it seems to be the best option.

Ron R

AliExpress suggests Yaqi have only directly sold 73 of the stainless steel Mellon heads which doesn't seem much for the investment they must have made in the production. Are they likely to have sold many via other channels?
There was a note in the package asking if I wanted to be a Yaqi distributor saying there would be a big discount if I committed to a minimum order of 100 units. I do buy a lot of razors to try but it would be a push to try out 100 of their products...
I don't really understand why people buy aluminium razors they just feel a bit cheap and inadequate even compared to zamak. I've stopped buying anything that's not stainless steel now as it seems to be the best option.
I would not take sales #'s from Ali_express to serious because they every once in a while they start back at zero for sales and posts, like my post are also gone and it is just the way they operate. At the moment or very recently they have posted 2 Romulus razors ads on Yaqi home site with one ad selling 8 and the other over 160 pcs and why?

Ron R

DE SOTD, Wednesday, December13th 2023

Razor : Yaqi 2nd generation 316SSP head with my 2nd purchased Yaqi Chippendale 316SSP handle (Darwin handle looking, close to resemblance to that time era for "The Grande shave King razor",1940's existence)-
Mfg 2023>, mid range. What a nice well machined and finished razor head with excellent QC. The audio feed back is a nice sizzling sound of snipped whiskers is best way to describe it. The razor is delightful to use and performs well + results do no lie. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette Perm-sharp(1):001_wub: great sharpness and smoooth with reasonable longevity. Defiantly top tier in my den! Great blade and razor match for this mornings shave.
Soap : Razorock The Dead Sea, nice unique bright scented with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar bristle. Excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. My best boar brush to look at and performance is great.(soak boar brushes in warm water for 2>minutes for softness to excel IMO.)
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Mellon 316 SSP razor with a Perma-sharp blade + cotton ball tested. (It does not get better a shave for myself.)
SOTD December 13 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, December 19th 2023

Razor : Yaqi 2nd generation Mellon head 316SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale SSP handle- Mfg 2023>, mid range. Machining and finish are excellent QC. I enjoy this Darwin looking handle from the 1940's (Darwin handle was stainless also!) The audio feedback is nice and helps indicate the sweet spot angle IMO. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette Perma-Sharp(4) very sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade for sure in my shave Den.
Soap : Razorock M.F, nice cologne scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Very interesting luxury scent IMO, great post shave skin feel.
Brush : Yaqi "Lucky dice" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic fan knot. Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Very nice 26mm fan knot(rare one ) that was bought on a sale.
Post shave : Razorock M.F splash:thumbsup: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi 316 SSP Mellon head razor with a Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD December 19 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

lasta

Blade Biter
I gotta say, there is not enough love for this razor!

Mine the THE absolute shiniest razor I have ever seen. I don't think steel can be made any shinier than this.

But, as a frequent Tech user, this is a mid-high on my scale of blade feel. Needs to be in rotation with a milder shiny shiny.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I also love this one a lot. I guess there are still reservations regarding Chinese made razors, even if many US brand premium razors (think of Paradigm and the Stirling that was not so made in USA) are manufactured over there already.

@lasta @Ron R I am tempted to buy the Duomo, if you are interested as well, just saw it on more sale than usual sales price, 73-ish instead of close to 100 European Union Rupies.

Edit: Ha, this stoopid blue smurf ordered it. 62,25, there was a 12 EUR extra rebate in their "New Year Bliss" sale.

Last edited:

Ron R

I also love this one a lot. I guess there are still reservations regarding Chinese made razors, even if many US brand premium razors (think of Paradigm and the Stirling that was not so made in USA) are manufactured over there already.

@lasta @Ron R I am tempted to buy the Duomo, if you are interested as well, just saw it on more sale than usual sales price, 73-ish instead of close to 100 European Union Rupies.

Edit: Ha, this stoopid blue smurf ordered it. 62,25, there was a 12 EUR extra rebate in their "New Year Bliss" sale.
I have Seen "Subie shaves" on Youtube using the Duomo razor and he says it has some aggressiveness, It is similar to a 1940's Italian designed razor I believe that is hard to find today to purchase. Looks like you can use a steep angle(riding the bar) also with the Yaqi Duomo. @Iridian I believe you enjoy a blade feeling razor as I recall + steep shaving(might be a perfect match for you.) enjoy!
Yaqi Duomo razor2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Wednesday, December 3rd 2024

Razor : Yaqi 2nd generation Mellon 316 SSP head with a Yaqi Chippendale (Darwin looking) 316 SSP, Mfg 2023>, tame mid range to mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC on head and handle. Very enjoyable audio feed back, sizzling sound of whiskers being snipped. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp, sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade in my den.
Soap : Razorock XXX- nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle hair. Excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristles, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock XXX splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi 2nd Gen 316 SSP Mellon head with a Gillette Perma- sharp.
SOTD Januray 3 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SE SOTD, Thursday, January 18th 2024

Razor : Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head 316SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2023>, mid range>. Excellent machining and finish QC. With the Chippendale handle it is a nice razor to use with a little blade feel. I used a fresh blade this morning and received a stellar close comfortable shave. This razor is going to be used more in my large rotation as my technique has matured over the years.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock Permasharp(1) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, a nice masculine scented soap of lavender with excellent lather qualities. 3rd tub but has been discontinued.
Brush : Yaqi "Chianti's" 24mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my with my Yaqi Mellon razor 316SSP with a fresh 7oClock Permasharp blade.
5SOTD Januray 18 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Jan 29th Tuesday, January 29th 2024

Razor : Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head 316SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2023>, mid range>. Excellent machining and finish QC. With the Chippendale handle it is a nice razor to use with a little blade feel. The audio feed back is great if a person enjoys this. The top cap and safety bar trap water and regenerate the lather was the original thought back in the 1940's (self lubricating). Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning even after a close shave yesterday!
Blade : Perma-Sharp(2) sharp and smooth with good longevity. Top tier blade in my Den space.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scented with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Black marble" 24mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury soft pillow tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Great handle for a silvertip that has a large bloomed knot, works the face well and very enjoyable to use.
Post shave : Razorock XXX splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Mellon 316 SSP with a Gillette Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD Januray 30 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, February 13th 2024

Razor :
Yaqi 2nd generation 316SSP head with my 2nd purchased Yaqi Chippendale 316SSP handle (Darwin handle looking-Mfg 2023>, mid range. Mellon head is close to resemblance to the time era for ("The Grande shave King razor",1940's existence)- no blade overhang + dual open comb. Self lubricating was the concept by originator by carry water up while rinsing to rejuvenate lather.
What a nice well machined and finished razor head with excellent QC. The audio feed back is a nice sizzling sound of snipped whiskers is best way to describe it. The razor is delightful to use and performs well + results do no lie. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp , sharp and smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Yaqi "The Green" very natural refreshing type of scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm Husky synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Great brush for my shaving needs and a interesting handle.
Post shave : Yaqi "the Green" splash:001_wub:(similar to La Costa Green cologne scent) + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a Stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Mellon 316 SSP head razor with a Perma- Sharp.
SOTD Febuaruy 13 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom