What's new

Wilkinson Sword "Straight Razor" available on store shelves in Canada

I had posted about this in a reply elsewhere and thought you fellows here might find it of interest, despite the fact that Wilkinson is calling this shavette a straight razor (I don't use these types of razors but have gathered that this is a point of contention amongst your kind:biggrin1:)

While many of us were surprised to see Gillette and Wilkinson Sword resume selling DE handles in North America and Europe (though Wilkinson had still carried on selling a plastic/metal core DE in Europe), it was all the more surprising for me to see a Wilkinson Sword "Straight Razor" sitting on the shelf of a Walmart in Canada. It's made in Germany, wood finished handle. According to the Schick Canada website, they're also available at a major Canadian pharmacy chain. I had seen this razor in Europe a couple of years ago, now Canada, so maybe they'll become available in the US too at some point, does not appear on Schick USA's website as of yet. Anyway, I would think that this bodes well for the state of straight razor shaving, even if only as a "gateway drug".
1687846550692.png

1687846570750.png

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
A large chemist/pharmacy here in N.Ireland, has also been carrying these for a few years now. Some one must be buying them. Because they keep going out of stock, even if its only two at a time. Like you said it would be nice to think that the purchase of these will lead down the path of wet shaving, with soaps, brushes and different blades.

Interesting. Have never noticed these on my trips to Germany, where I always tend tio visit department and drugstores that carry shaving goods.

Regarding the line between shavettes and straight razors, the Dovo ones are pure bred shavettes to me and classic straight razors are - well - straight razors razors to me.

In-between these two there are many variations, ranging from the Parker ones, Wilkinson one, the new Mühle Enthusiast, to the Feather AC series. Especially the latter one and to a slightly lesser degree the Mühle one handle and feel because of their heft and balance much more like straight razors, than the first two.

There is a divide somewhere in above list, but as there is no universally accepted definition where that line lies, I accept the Wilkinson straight razor term, partly because of the clientele they want to appeal to.

When I talk about these razors, however, shavettes are shavettes, straights are straights, and I call razors in-between “disposable blade razors”.

B.

Addendum: should read “disposable blade straight razors”

Regarding the Wilkinson straight, I found it on the German Amazon website, where the packaging sports the name “THE PIONEER” [sic], but it does not show on the German Wilkinson website.
I sells on Amazon for €14.95 ($16.37 or C$21.53), which includes in Europe the VAT.

What’s the price in the Great White North?

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom