What's new

Why there may be very few Swedish straights in Missouri....

I've been hunting razors for the better part of 4 years now. First I was searching for DE's, which are common in central Missouri(if you know where to look). I had good luck, at times I had REALLY good luck. In the last year I've become attracted to Straight Razors, so I've spent some time searching in all the usual places with some luck. Often you'll find a few straights at a time, most of them or over honed or rusted to obscurity. The nicer razors I have found were almost all either made in St. Louis or made in Germany for hardware stores in St. Louis or St. Joseph. The German Razor is king in this area seeing as the German population in my region was at one time and is still to a degree quite dense. English razors can be found but at very high prices, though there is the exception of stores looking to move their products faster at lower prices. I've found a few French and Spanish razors down near the boot heal of my state near the Mississippi, which makes sense(none of them were in user grade condition.
Now, what I haven't seen at all in the wild is a Swedish Straight Razor. Granted I've only really been looking at Straight Razors closely for the last 4-5 months, but I would have thought I'd find one, maybe rusted up or broken. This morning I did some searching and came across this map of Swedish population distribution in the United States. It seems to explain the missing Swedish straights in my region and in the southern parts of the US. Though this map is not a be all end all. Americans, English, German, French, name a nationality could have purchased a Swedish razor and brought it to this area. So then maybe the total distribution of these razors was less than the production of all other razor manufacturing countries...

Do any of you see Swedish razors more commonly or are they just as much a rarity in other parts of the country? $IMG_6244.jpg

I know that spread on the map very well. The Swedish emigrants mostly settled by the Great Lakes. The climate and nature was as close to what they were used to as they could get. Most of them of course brought their razors with them when they emigrated, but the main reason to why you have difficulties finding Swedish razors is that they never were produced in the same volumes as French, British, German and American razors. The Swedish razors may be sought after by B&B members, and thus quite common here, but I guess that it goes about ten Solingen razors on every razor made in Eskilstuna.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Pretty interesting. I've never seen one in the wild either, and given your post I can see why.

As you and Arne have pointed out, Swedish blades aren't as common as German and English, but they are quite common on auction sites and vintage razor restorers-sellers. I would also observe that England, France and especially Germany were always close enough geographically, that their market in Sweden was substantial and competitive. In today's market, I would guess that fewer razors were produced in Sweden overall and their numbers are still relatively smaller than the larger European makers. It is still an interesting question.

Lots of swedish razors here in Norway. Unfortunately everyone who sells them seem to think they have found the holy grail itself and are charging accordingly. (90+ USd for user-grade specimens). Perhaps I will have to look harder

Up here in the way north of the country I have never found one in the wild. But next time I'm visiting the folks in MN I sure will be looking.

They truly are an illustrious and scarce breed. I've searched high and low for a MK 31 in "restorable" condition and have found a few, however, none of which were remotely close to a being a "fair" deal. I've often wondered why this was, but your research is very enlightening. I had assumed that they all resided with Dan (doc47), :lol:.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I am the exception to the rule. According to the map, I am in a Swedish desert but I have found in the wild over 20 Swedish straight in great condition and passed of double that number due to condition. My ivory MK 30, two 31's and 32 were all wild finds. All my picking is between Florida and Texas. They don't come around every day, but I find them in a ratio of about 50-1 with other razors. One that I have not found yet in the wild are Japanese Straight but I keep hunting.
It is being in the right place at the right time.

Most of this area was settled by Swedes, I'm 1/4 myself. Swedish steel abounds in the antique shops. Bengals are snatched up when I see them, I found a Genco Swede too.

German razors are available, but much rarer. English razors, Gillette or otherwise, don't exist here.

I am the exception to the rule. According to the map, I am in a Swedish desert but I have found in the wild over 20 Swedish straight in great condition and passed of double that number due to condition. My ivory MK 30, two 31's and 32 were all wild finds. All my picking is between Florida and Texas. They don't come around every day, but I find them in a ratio of about 50-1 with other razors. One that I have not found yet in the wild are Japanese Straight but I keep hunting.
It is being in the right place at the right time.

Wow, very interesting. I figured there must be exceptions due to people moving around and hardware stores carrying them in stock.

Legion

Staff member
Most of this area was settled by Swedes, I'm 1/4 myself. Swedish steel abounds in the antique shops. Bengals are snatched up when I see them, I found a Genco Swede too.

German razors are available, but much rarer. English razors, Gillette or otherwise, don't exist here.

Bengalls are what we find most commonly here (Luckily, as they are good), since Cadman made most of their product for export to the British colonies. I should set up a Bengall for Swede exchange route with you. :lol:

Top Bottom