What's new

Why Spend more than $100 on a Brush?

I only effectively* own one brush. I thought it was on the expensive side, but I wanted quality and did not want to experiment (AD is more expensive than one good brush). Could I have gotten an equally luxurious experience at half the price? I have no idea. But I'm curious about Christmas gifts.

* I say effectively because when on vacation without a brush I bought the cheapest brush I could find. The knot fell out of the handle. I use the knot when camping.

My most expensive soap (GFT) is my least favourite. One of my cheapest soaps (Cella) is my favourite.

Beats by Dre are expensive headphones of inferior audio quality but many believe of superior style. There are numerous ugly headphones of superior audio quality between a huge range of prices. I explained this to a would-be-gift recipient. She didn't care: Style was most important. And it had to be white.

My wife wants a pair of Beats. Please suggest some nicer sounding fairly stylish ones though.

She needs style but I can't see paying that price for looks without substance.

Wow. After three pages, I guess the answer to the OP's question is: Because you might want to.

As a new wet shaver, I currently have one brush. Am I deprived? I must be, since I asked for another brush for Christmas. But just to try a different experience. I may or may not be able to tell the difference. If I can, I'll probably try some other brushes eventually. Obviously I have a lot of reading to do on the subject, but I like the previous posts that say 'if you like it and can afford it, do it' - after all, that's what consumerism is all about, is it not?

I enjoy some of the fine things in life but don't obsess over any of them. There are some of the 'finer things' that are worth it to me, and others are lost on my plebian tastes. So if I find value in something, I'll spend the money. If not, I won't. It's really that simple if you ask me.

To tie into some of the other posts, I have a few pairs of Ferragamo shoes. Worth the money to me. And although I could afford a nice German sports sedan, I choose to drive a Mini JCW. More fun and less money. I'll spend good money on single malt scotch and cigars, but not so much on craft beers. It's all a matter of personal taste.

So if you want to spend $200 or more on a brush and it makes you feel good, by all means, do it!

I always thought a Mini JCW was a nice German sports sedan?

My wife wants a pair of Beats. Please suggest some nicer sounding fairly stylish ones though.

She needs style but I can't see paying that price for looks without substance.

B&W P7 is very elegant and has the audiophile credentials to boot. NAD HP 50 is also extremely good and will knock Beats in the audio department. If in ear headphones I recommend the final audio heaven 7.

Math takes all the emotion out of decision making.

There are lots of things that people should use maybe but don't.

But if you do the math I have wasted about 50 plus minutes on this thread. That's 50 minutes of my life I will never get back. I could have washed my car and saved $5.

Please elaborate. I didn't think it necessary to get into high level statistics, calculus, or finance for a $100 shaving brush, but if you have the time and energy, I'd love to see your more accurate quantitative breakdown. Or, are you simply saying any/all math is no good for decision making, and you base your decisions on qualitative factors alone?

First I want to clarify I had no intention of offending anyone. It was a quick reply after a long day (no justification, just context).
I agree with you that rationality is certainly not always into play when we decide on certain things, particularly when they do not play exclusively an instrumental role. We all occasionally put the math on the side and just go ahead and make a choice.

That being said, I was under the impression that some rationalization was being brought to the conversation; which I very much appreciate. For example, weighting qualitative attributes can bring things into perspective. I am not a brush expert so am very interested in learning from everyone else in the forum. It is obvious that we all have different perspectives, preferences, aspirations, and wallets. I find post like this one on soaps and creams particularly illustrative and useful. My ideal for making an informed decision would be to add to that a weighted qualitative analysis with variables like scent or a general score by the "evaluator".

Not offended at all.

When someone asks why someone should spend more than X on something they are setting their own bias in the question. It could have been $50 or even $200 in the case of a brush.

But if we really do what to discover where the need becomes more of a want or a because I can then we need to agree on some limits.

Max softness. Max size, shape and holding of water or lather.

Once we have agreed on those we can find the cheapest brush that fills the bill and have a point at which everything else is excess. Something which I occasionally am girly of myself.

Honestly it comes down to density. My TGN finest already has "gel" tips (can we find a new way to describe that by the way? It always struck me as silly) and strong backbone, but more expensive knots pack in more hair for a luxurious feeling. That's about it.

Why spend more than $100 on a brush? Because the brush you want costs more than $100.

Quality, hair type, knot size, handle style, etc. If I want a 30mm high mountain white brush it's going to cost more than $100.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I think Rolex watches are cheap, I drive a Mercedes and I drink single malt whiskey. Some call me a wanker, some call me discerning. I've spent $20 on a brush and over $200. Buy what you want, do what makes you happy and don't give a toss what others think.

Well - if your $200 or $400 brush makes you happy - then I am happy. But I personally see no utility in a high end (well over $100) brush. 150 - 200 is ok if you want a huge knot (28mm), or some exotic material for the handle (ebony, rose wood, mamouth tusk, iron wood, etc). That to me is a different scenario.

Look - a brush wears out. It is not a family heirloom. You will not hand it down to your relatives. A nice DE razor on the other hand - different story. You can and will use it your entire life. I own 8 vintage re-plated DE's in rhodium, silver, gold, and bright nickel. This is where I put my money. High end brushes don't do it for me. Esp. when I can get the best boar bristle brush on the planet for $45.

Last edited:
Hell, why spend more than $50 on a brush?
My boar is a Semogue 830 and my badger is a "shaving.ie" custom Silvertip (their own brand, basically).
I want for nothing else. And each of them came in way under $50, delivered to my door!

Why spend more than $100 on a brush? Because the brush you want costs more than $100.

^+1 I've teetered on the edge of a $100+ brush purchase from time to time. Then I open the cabinet and grab one of my favorite vintage reknots and the urge passes.

my most expensive brush is a $15 tweezerman...cheapest is a VDH deluxe kit brush(***)...last purchased was an Omega Pro 49...less than $12

I can't imagine paying more than $20 for a brush...

my most expensive razor was a merkur slant for $39 that I sold for $40 because it just didn't do much for me...

my favorite straight is a $4 Gold Dollar I made bone scales for...

I've spent thousands of $ on a tattoo sleeve...guitars...amps...a few thousand $ building a motorcycle I didn't need...and more on a 1986 harley than I could have spent on many new bikes...

I guess "to each his own" is the only real explanation for all of that...

Top Bottom