What's new

Why do YOU use a fountain pen?

I love the way it makes my handwriting look. :) Writing pre-fountain pen was atrocious as I had forgotten how to write. Now people compliment my writing. I hate cheap ballpoints now... HATE THEM! :)

Colors of ink, style of pen... all great things.

I had all of my fretted instruments regretted with jumbo wides. It makes slides much easier too.

Bingo. Same reason I like guitars with jumbo frets, and even scalloped fretboards.
It forces me to play (and write) with a lighter touch, which improves my pathetic playing (and penmanship).

Many years ago I won a case for a client. His one complaint was my handwriting and he ended up buying me a Waterman fountain pen as a gift. I loved that pen and still use it. My handwriting did not improve :001_huh:but it caught folk's attention.

Simply because it is cool and demands attention from on lookers and I am old enough to remember when they taught cursive in school

What he said. And ballpoints are just uncivilized. And really, which pen would you rather write with?

Attachments

• $bic pen.jpg
    $bic pen.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 111
  • $Imperial.jpg
    $Imperial.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 112
If you are looking for a smooth writing pen, you owe it to yourself to at least see if there is a local store nearby and try one. You'll really be impressed, a ballpoint can't compare. There's no "trick" to writing with one, low pressure and correct angle (mmm, sounds like shaving) and you are good to go. I was worried that I would have to learn a lot about maintaining them, but there is really not much to it. Plus, you can start with cartridges before you decide you want to go the converter route.

Based on your original question, sounds like you will enjoy a fountain pen.

It is a great question, it does not take an artist touch to write with. I'm left handed and I use fountain pens exclusively to write with. A fountain pen has improved my writing dramatically since I began using one. I have less hand fatigue because it requires less pressure to write with. I write primarily with vintage pens I sense the history in each one. Fountain pens that you fill have a rainbow of colors to chose from to write with.

There are many pens to choose from both vintage and modern. Pens such as the Esterbrooks from the 50's have interchangeable nibs you can buy. Plus they are a bargain for a vintage pen, most can be bought under $50. In fact most every pen I use I have purchased under $50. You a variety of nibs to choose from from fine to extra broad , flex, italic, stub nibs to express your writing.

15 years ago, you still could get Esterbrooks practically for free! (I wouldn't pay $50 for one personally)

I also think the people around me would start looking weird at me if I suddenly switched to ballpoint pens ... many know that I always carry one or more fountain pens with me.

Also, I never have to worry that my pens will walk off.

People don't intentionally steal pens, they simply use them and take them with them.
I can leave a $200 FP out in the open on my desk and I know it will be there when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks.
People will pick it up, see it's an FP, and immediately put it back down and look for a G2 or 206.

for me .. mostly because its so easy to write compared to a ball-point .. don't need to press at all :) I used to always have a callus on my middle finger when the pen rests from to much pressure while writing.

When I was a young lad in school and it came time for us to be taught how to write with pens they taught us with fountain pens. That was my first introduction to writing with pens.

As I got older, I came appreciate how using a fountain pens really improve my writing. I love how I can change the inks or the nib so I can get just the writing style I want.

Wow these are some great responses. And after reading them I think I might get a FP. I've seen a few on ebay for a couple bucks, i might get one to test out. Thank you all for your responses.

Wow these are some great responses. And after reading them I think I might get a FP. I've seen a few on ebay for a couple bucks, i might get one to test out. Thank you all for your responses.
Jake, don't blindly start buying stuff on eBay until you've had a chance to read up on fountain pens in our Wiki. The Nib Wiki

eBay has a lot of great bargains, but it also has a lot of trash. I'd hate to see you turned off on fountain pens because of a bad first experience.

It certainly is not for the convenience. They weren't convenient in high school when I played around with them (Schaeffer cartridge school pens and a Pelikan). They weren't convenient in my 30's when the interest resurfaced and I got two (one purchased, one a gift) and they are not now (same two plus one I inherited plus two others I purchased as an every-day-carries). In another thread I explained that my day is spent more scribbling than writing. Ball points, pencils, gel writers and roller balls are far move convenient than fountain pens.

It's not about the handwriting improvement. Mine is an ugly blend of printing and cursive that has only gotten slightly better with fountain pens.

There is, however, something elegant and old world about fountain pens; even with black or blue ink. I long to be my own man. To be apart from the herd. Fountain pens and DE shaving allow some of that expression.

You already know the answer to this.

Why shave with an EJ DE89/Fat Boy/iKon slant when you can (literally) scrape by with twin blade Bic disposables?

The high end razor performs better, is classier, looks cooler, has that 'blast from the past' factor. There are different companies/variations and experimenting is fun. It also opens up that whole potential cash-devouring vortex thing.

Jake, don't blindly start buying stuff on eBay until you've had a chance to read up on fountain pens in our Wiki. The Nib Wiki

eBay has a lot of great bargains, but it also has a lot of trash. I'd hate to see you turned off on fountain pens because of a bad first experience.

No worries I try not to purchase anything without review for my first. I was looking at the boaer 388 or pilot metro.(actually off isellpens or ebay. Any other good site recommendations would be welcome.)

There are a number of reason why I use fountain pens.
1. They look cool
2. I am slightly nostalgic for classic things and fountain pens provides a connection to the past.
3. Encourages me to carry a pen. Makes me feel both prepared and manly.
4.Way nicer feel when writing.
5. My handwriting looks better and this makes me want to practice to improve it even more.

Top Bottom