What's new

Why are Western straights so darned long?

Stumbled on this thread after asking myself the same question. I like a shorter razor.

Are folding kamisori generally a bit shorter, like their straight-handled ancestors?

Stumbled on this thread after asking myself the same question. I like a shorter razor.

Are folding kamisori generally a bit shorter, like their straight-handled ancestors?
Yes, typically. I have a couple and one is about 53mm and the other is about 50mm. Most of the monosteel asymmetric ground razors seem to run in the 50 to 60mm range based on the many photos I've studied while shopping.

I'm about 50/50 with western straight razors vs Kami's. Around 20 razors or more. That being said, what is more important to me is the quality of the steel and the grind. The quality of the edge for me is paramount and how well the razor hones. I enjoy shaving with all of them and for me the Picker 1 1/2inch blade kami get into areas on my face that have to work and stretch to get with for example, one of my Bokers 8/8th. I like verity but quality in the blade and its material is a must.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

All else being equal, if an effort is made to use the full length of the edge evenly, the longer of two razors should be able to withstand more shaves before honing is necessary. On average, a Japanese man has less and thinner facial hair than a European. When head shaving, meaning a considerably greater amount of cutting, was expected as part of the pre Meiji era traditional hair style, Japanese razors were Orihi type and had longer edges than modern kamisori. Causation, or only mere correlation? I couldn't say.

When using a western style straight, my thumb is usually just behind the heel. When using a short kamisori, I often grip such that a certain amount of tang protrudes in front of my thumb. If I grip the kamisori directly at the heel, it becomes awkward to shave around the gonial angles of the jaw and near the ears. The end result is that the amount of razor protruding from my grip when shaving is about the same whether I'm using a western or a kamisori. That being the case, if the increased steel used per blade is not an issue, why not just make the edge a little longer?

Top Bottom