What's new

Who has Da Book?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Who has purchased Frank Dubiel's pen repair book? Where did you buy it? Kinda pricey on Amazon, supposedly it can be had for much cheaper.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I got mine from Sam of Pendemonium at the LA International Pen Show. It was right after he passed away and mine is autographed -- fountain pen of course.

I was having trouble at the time with some Sheaffer Vac-Fil pens for which it helped. No help with German (Montblanc and Pelikan) piston fillers.

It wasn't all that useful but still a great read. He uses flame, not a heat gun, and other controversial methods!

I have "Da Book" and I have "Pen Repair" by Marshall and Oldfield. Knowing then what I know now, I would have not purchased "Da Book".

In the late 1990's, Frank's book was one of the few sources of information available on pen repairs. (apart from the Usenet group and the Zoss mailing list).

Yes, I know the story and the history and I keep my copy for the historical value. However, in my opinion, the volume has been overcome by better information.

My recommendation would be to gather more opinions than just mine and, if possible, look at any book you are considering. I am a hobbyist who has only been restoring and repairing my own pens for about five years. There are others here, and on other boards, far more experienced than I.

My most important point, however, is to know what you are getting before you buy it. "Da Book" has many techniques that, while the best information at the time, have been supplanted by better. By the same token "Pen Repair", while very good at what it presents, may not have the information you are looking for as it does not cover all techniques for all models.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for your input. I'd still like find a cheaper source for Dubiel's book. So if anyone knows of another source (other than Amazon) please pipe up!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just saw that Bender's site has it for $20.00. There are a couple of places for free downloads as well, but my antivirus software blocks them as potential threats.

Just saw that Bender's site has it for $20.00. There are a couple of places for free downloads as well, but my antivirus software blocks them as potential threats.

In memory of Frank, I would be happy if people would not get his work from free download sites. My highly personal opinion.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Twenty is the going price -- it's a classic and well worth it. No repair book will be just right, you need to take a little something from each and add that to your own experience.

I have it and find it interesting, although as mentioned above, it's far from comprehensive and some of the information has been superseded by other techniques and materials (such as his recommendations to use an open flame to heat sections for removal, or the use of clear nail polish for sac installation).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'd rather have a physical copy of Da Book, or any other for that matter, when available. I'll pony up for it eventually just to have it. Any other texts not already mentioned worth having?

Top Bottom