What's new

Which steel - carbon or stainless?

Yeah, I'd like to try a ZDP razor as well. But my impression is grain size is a big issue with stainless blades. Not saying it can't be done and I don't even know how the grain size of ZDP or M2 compare to the grain size TI currently achieves but (again, just my impression) is that TI does a really good job of keeping their carbon steel grains very small which, IMO is a big part of why they shave so well. They take a great edge, whatever the reason.

Ken

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do not believe that TI makes stainless blade.

Hmm ... you appear to be right about that. They do make some razors out of 'silver steel', but we already know that's not the same as stainless.

Hi Gents,

My name is Mark. I'm new to Straight Razors, having only started 2 days ago. I'm a bit of a steel junkie with respect to kitchen and pocket knives. I recently posted on the spyderco subforum of Bladeforums asking Sal to make straight razors. He is feeling the water so to speak. The grain structure of ZDP-189 is on par with Japanese Blue steel, but it is harder to sharpen. Spyderco use it at a hardness of 65 and there have been no reports of it being brittle. VG-10 is another relatively new stainless which takes a superb edge and is usually hardened to over Rc 60 without problems.

If you want Spyderco to enter the market(possibly in cojunction with Tim Zowada who is agreeable) follow this link. I have no comercial interest in either spyderco or Tim, just a love of good steel.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495868

Top Bottom