What's new

T-I Jacob Holtzer melt of steel

I have a 1950s 6/8 half hollow grind T-I though not so marked, I got in Paris at a cutlery shop years ago.The guy who sold it to me said it was from a batch of steel cast by Jacob Holtzer of Chatellerault, a very famous steel worker, d 1900. I notice in a current T-I catalogue that one of their premier razors is supposed to be made of this same melt of steel. Anyone ever run onto such a thing before? This is a nicely made razor with a file worked spine and jimping, no markings at all. I have seen older identical razors with T-I markings. I thought maybe with the barber's nose it was intended to be sold to a barber supply shop and etched with their name.

I have a razor with Holtzer on the tang stamp.
The blade face has a very faded Double Evide Sonant
label identical to the ones on the Le Grelot 363.
The ends of the scales resemble TI scales with the tips ground flat.

That sounds like it I think Holtzer was a sort of buzz word for fine steel in the early 1900s. I have seen several T-I identical to mine but with stampings. Is your razor fancily file worked on the spine? They seem to be an up-market sort of tool.

That is the guy, but no markings of any kind and the scales have the typical T-I angles at each end.

Oops. Here is a picture. The first one did not go.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Top Bottom