What's new

What's your most expensive pen?

I don't think I've paid over $100 for a pen that I've personally bought. That said, I have a Parker Vacumatic and Parker 51 that I've had restored by John Mottishaw. Those pens were my great grandparents' on my father's side. They're engraved with their names, so I doubt they're very valuable to anyone but me. I also have 2 more matching Parker 51s. Those are my grandparents on my father's side, and they're also engraved. I haven't had those restored yet. I also have my aunt's (dad's sister) Sheaffer, which has been restored. The only fountain pens my dad owns are from me. Both are modern.

I have a modern Conklin, Pilot Vanishing Point, Waterman Laureat, Cross ATX, Sheaffer Intrigue Whale Shark pattern, and several less-expensive pens, including a nice Esterbrook.

-Andy

A couple of Parker 51's and a Mont Blanc. Never thought they were worth anything as I have had them for 30 or 40 years.

I don't think I have anything that I paid over 120 for (That's about what my Lamy 2k was with shipping). My pelikan 200 was probably close, as it has a custom nib. Otherwise, I tend to favor user grade parker 51s. I am thinking about selling off a bunch of low end stuff that I never use and sinking the proceeds into whatever Pelikan is around the result, so long as it is green striated. I'm thinking I could probably swap the stuff for about an M600.

I am sure I have never paid more than a couple hundred for a pen, if that much. My most valuable pen is probably my MB 146 which I bought a long time ago. Its maybe worth $300 now. Or maybe some of the Sheaffers from my Mom and Dad, a couple of those maybe worth a couple of three hundred dollars. I have a variety of pens but I am a user not a collector. My fountain pens are my daily writing instruments.

About 25 years ago, I bought a couple of MB Roller ball Miesterstrunk in the burgundy color that was discontinued. They seem to be popular collector items now and sell for over $100. Also, I have a Schaeffer Snorkel in burgundy that was a gift in the early 1960's and has not been used. My Parker 51 Pen and Pencil set is also in the burgundy/plum color and in the case. It is like new and one like this sold on ebay for $250 several days ago. I do not use it because it has a fine nib and I like the bold or maybe medium. So, nothing high end to speak of but I really like writing with my English Parker Duofold with a 14 k gold nib and the German Online fountain pens but both are about or under $100 I would imagine. Probably, it would be to my advantage to sell the others and buy a really nice pen since there are only two or three that I use.

About 25 years ago, I bought a couple of MB Roller ball Miesterstrunk in the burgundy color that was discontinued. They seem to be popular collector items now and sell for over $100. Also, I have a Schaeffer Snorkel in burgundy that was a gift in the early 1960's and has not been used. My Parker 51 Pen and Pencil set is also in the burgundy/plum color and in the case. It is like new and one like this sold on ebay for $250 several days ago. I do not use it because it has a fine nib and I like the bold or maybe medium. So, nothing high end to speak of but I really like writing with my English Parker Duofold with a 14 k gold nib and the German Online fountain pens but both are about or under $100 I would imagine. Probably, it would be to my advantage to sell the others and buy a really nice pen since there are only two or three that I use.

If you're ever looking to get rid of that Snorkel, let me know. I'd be interested.

It's this one: the 'Louis' LE Platinum cap with leather covered body, by Cartier.

proxy.php

I just got a Parker 51 pen and pencil set in the box from the bay. Total cost including shipping under $90. Just came in the mail today. Can't wait to ink it and give it a whirl. Also had 2 Esties delivered today.

Well I have a Pilot VP it cost $140, that was the most I've ever spent. I do have a Sheaffer flat top that cost $10 in 1918, That's about $150 now. It's been appraised at about $125 or so. I also have a Lamy 2000 the list on those are at $140 or so now. If you count the extra nib set I have for the VP, I guess that's the most expensive. I'm still not in the "Montblanc" league...

The most expensive is my MB Writer's Series. I have the Thomas Mann and the Mark Twain Fountain Pens. Very expensive, but a joy to use.

I think Issac wins!!!!

I think mine is a Stipula Novecento Rex LE. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but that's probably a good thing.

What's my most expensive pen? Well, my wife's name is Pen, and while she actually is *fairly* low maintenance it definitely adds up after nearly 10 years of marriage...

Montblanc 149 that I bought 20 years ago. I think at the time I paid $200 but replacement value today is $800.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The LE Edison is my highest. Of course, I don't have it yet, but I've paid for it!

ditto

What's my most expensive pen? Well, my wife's name is Pen, and while she actually is *fairly* low maintenance it definitely adds up after nearly 10 years of marriage...

'"Does your wife like caligraphy?" he asked him, knowingly. Nudge nudge.'

The LE Edison is my highest. Of course, I don't have it yet, but I've paid for it!

Same here...and the Stipula Passaporto FPN LE is next on the list...but I could push the Passaporto back to three if I order the Modello T from Stipula...

My most expensive pen was probably a Pelikan M400. The two I wouldn't sell for anything are the Parker 51 I got from BrianW, my first fountain pen, and the Pelikan M200 my wife bought for me once she realized I really enjoyed writing with a fountain pen.

Top Bottom