What's new

Pen review: Omas 360 vintage arco

Good [time of day], my fellow nibblings!

I decided to take the plunge today and experience my first Omas pen a little further from the shallow end and invested, screaming YOLO at the top of my lungs, a beautiful specimen in the form of the 360 body in a vintage brown arco celluloid. Nib is medium sized in 14k gold and pen came completed with a beautiful rhodium trim and piston filler to boot! Excuse me for this review; I've never done one nor have any planned direction where I'm going in advance...

The pen came packed in an ostentatiously large presentation box. It's a beautiful two-toned grey on black exterior in a rather substantial cardboard or some such material. Nice and minimal with only a hint of flourish by way of the Omas logo embedded on top in black.

Inside I was greeted by a lovely faux suede-meets-velour detailing in a soft grey with the underside of the lid reading my motto of the minute: "Italian creativity, history, craftsmanship. The pleasure of writing." My Japanese pens grew jealous and bubbled ink in their caps, I'm sure.

$That box interior.jpg

The presentation of the pen itself is quite pleasing. It came wrapped in plastic inside a little suede-like pen case as seen here:

$That presentation.jpg

Now, the pen itself is quite the beauty. The arco celluloid has a glorious wood-grain look when viewing from the top and a sunburst effect as we see it cut along the bias along the bottom. I remember reading that the way it's created is by stacking layer after layer of celluloid on top of one another and then carving out the finished piece. Don't ask me where I read that.

$That pen top closed.jpg
$That pen open.jpg

The nib is a medium gold in 14k with a surprising amount of spring. I purchase very heavy to Sailor and Visconti and am not used to the way the nib glides and bounces along my paper. It feels like I'm writing with a Lamy but the flow from the pen reminds me very much of the Visconti Dream Touch on the HS. I'm not a huge fan of their nib detailing but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I'm not the best writer but here's an example of the trash I turn out with beautiful pens:

$That handwriting.jpg

I was a bit nervous of the triangular body to the pen but it feels great in the hand. The section is not slippery and the nib seems to be at just the right angle for my style of writing. I experienced a skip only once and only when I was angling the pen on purpose to see what sort of "give" I had with respect to writing angle. The hard edges work right in the space my thumb and index finger make when writing and it actually feels like I could write for months with this thing without cramping.

The pen is also incredibly light. So much so that I even posted the cap. :blink: (I don't post caps.) It feels like nothing when fully loaded with ink and almost worries me that I may lose it at some point as I won't feel it missing from my pocket like I do some of my more substantial pens. It's about as long and as wide as a TWSBI Vac 700 when the cap both are capped and closed. Width isn't far off either, at least on the body. The cap is wider and I've nothing to really compare it to.

The piston filler on mine is a little sticky and a bit awkward to use. Imagine spinning a cylinder to raise or lower a piston but then add three major bumps that, when not spun to the same degree each time, become a bit of a bother to manoeuvre your fingers around to continue the fluid motion.

Pen clip is stiff but it's probably for the best. The cap is also incredibly tight to snap on. I'm used to twisty caps (Visconti's HS quarter-turn system is my favourite of all the pens I own) so this took a little getting used to. I chose the tight fitted one because I wanted to be sure the pen wouldn't fall out and shatter or, worse still, stain the inside of my jacket pocket. Oh lawd, just the thought gives me palpitations!

It's a limited edition pen. Three finishes available: gold, rose gold, and rhodium in fountain pens. Each finish has 36 pieces made so I was pleasantly surprised to be able to purchase a low-numbered pen. Lucky number 7!!

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I encourage everyone to give the 360 a shot at their local pen shop and see if you enjoy the experience of the hand-feel as much as I did. The brown arco is absolutely stunning in person and my picture(s) don't do it any justice as the depth is mesmerizing.

Alas, enough from me. Hope someone enjoyed the review.

i got to handle one of these at the Toronto pen show, that material is so much more beautiful in person then any picture i have ever seen. that's a great pen thank you for sharing it with us

Great review on a brand that we don't hear enough about on here.I don't own one but have heard nothing but good things about them.Alas, another pen I need to buy.

Do most Oma's pens have that triangle design?

They do not, only the 360 models. There's another arco brown celluloid in the Ogiva line that they do which I believe is a 12-sided pen. I've no first hand experience though I'm seriously considering picking one up after my experience with the 360 thus far (in a fine nib next time).

They do not, only the 360 models. There's another arco brown celluloid in the Ogiva line that they do which I believe is a 12-sided pen. I've no first hand experience though I'm seriously considering picking one up after my experience with the 360 thus far (in a fine nib next time).

[emoji106]

Top Bottom