What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
French onion soup tonight, came out pretty well.
$photo(62).jpg
$photo(60).jpg
$photo(61).jpg

I felt like having beef last night so I picked up a ribeye and a russet potato when I went to the super market.

Nothing fancy, I roasted the potato at 500 degrees for an hour. Crazy crispy skin, and isnt that the point of a baked potato.

I let the meat come to room temp. About a half hour before the potato was done I threw my cast iron skillet in the oven for 15 minutes, then put it over my hottest burner for 5. I oiled and S&P the steak. Threw it in the skillet, 30 seconds, flip another 30. Pan in oven, 2 minutes, flip, another two minutes. Let the meat rest for 5 until medium rare deliciousness. Great crust on that bad boy. Took out the potato, a little olive oil and S&P.

Now I think I should eat nothing but vegetables for dinner tonight.

Herbed chicken and rice, done up in my microwave pressure cooker. Love this recipe, been making it for years. Simply a mix of rice and wild rice, along with onion, celery, parsley, herbs, and chicken stock. Add skinless chicken thighs then pop it into the microwave for a half hour.

I am intrigued I have never heard of such a device.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife and I live within close range of Maple Lodge Farms. Huge producers of chicken products in our area. The onsite store has very good prices on IQF (Individual Quick Frozen) chicken breasts by the box so it has become a staple. Here is a quick meal using some wonderful brown basmatti rice I cooked the day before and some frozen stir fry veg. I used some Thai Chilli sauce . . . a short cut but if I had the ingredients would have been quick to put together.

$Stir Fry.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Refrigerator soup! :)

Yep . . . I totally understand. Apparently we waste . . . pick a number . . . 40% of what we buy on average in North America . . . . Not in my house . . . if I can help it. Soup and stews and other things make good use of things that are in our fridges.

Yep . . . I totally understand. Apparently we waste . . . pick a number . . . 40% of what we buy on average in North America . . . . Not in my house . . . if I can help it. Soup and stews and other things make good use of things that are in our fridges.
I try not to waste anything in the house or the work kitchen... I'm always making vegetable broth from carrot ends, celery crowns, onion peels, etc. I go through more onions, celery and carrots than any other single man I know.

I watch whats on sale, buy a lot and freeze it if I can. Buying in season helps too with the produce!

But yeah, what else are you going to do with a quart of chx broth, a single link of andouille, a zuchini, onions, celery, a small russet potato and carrots? I think I had two small parsnips too...

Herbed chicken and rice, done up in my microwave pressure cooker. Love this recipe, been making it for years. Simply a mix of rice and wild rice, along with onion, celery, parsley, herbs, and chicken stock. Add skinless chicken thighs then pop it into the microwave for a half hour.

I am intrigued I have never heard of such a device.

Nordic Tender Cooker. http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/22688074-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7

I bought mine a good 25 years ago at K Mart for half of today's price. They fully support the product, every part can be replaced. I have only ever needed to replace the gasket once in all of the years I have used it. This pot does require a microwave with a large (tall) cavity.

Sausage with bell peppers paired vodka white/red sauce over pasta. Dessert will be bread pudding with rum sauce.

Attachments

• $2013-01-15_17-36-34_755.jpg
    $2013-01-15_17-36-34_755.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 135
I forsee myself posting alot in this thread... thats a good thing.. Wife and I gave Ted Allens Baked Chicken Breasts with Parmesan Crust out of the Food Network Magazine... its still in the oven so no idea how it will turn out but i imagine it will delicious

Edit: It was amazing...

Last edited:
I forsee myself posting alot in this thread... thats a good thing.. Wife and I gave Ted Allens Baked Chicken Breasts with Parmesan Crust out of the Food Network Magazine... its still in the oven so no idea how it will turn out but i imagine it will delicious

Edit: It was amazing...

Where are the pics? It sounds delicious

A giant caraway and nigella seed crusted boule. The dough was 800g of flour at 65% hydration so it sprung up pretty well!
proxy.php

Dayum! That sure looks delicious. I can imagine how good the kitchen smells...a warm piece with some home churned butter...so good it'd make a house cat hug a hound dawg.

Yetidave thats beatiful... :) nice pic!!

I again failed to take a pic as SWMBO tore through the meal and would not wait, hahaha..

Grass fed rib eye, roasted mini ret potatoes , roasted carrots and gold beets, Roasted zuchini chunks.. The base for the veg is coconut oil, pink salt, and cubeb pepper. I put the garlic in (whole unpeeled) half way in, thyme 10 mins before they are cooked. I add smoked hot paprika for the potatoes and smoked sweet paprika for the carrots and beets as well to accent them. Also used red wine vinegar in my oil spritzer to spray a thin layer of vinegar onto the potatoes when i added the garlic to give it extra tang.

cooked in emile henry bakeware and steak in my trusty Erie #10

im thankful for such a great meal, hopefully pics will come..

Rib eye! Oh man, I'm hungry and I just ate!

Yetidave thats beatiful... :) nice pic!!

I again failed to take a pic as SWMBO tore through the meal and would not wait, hahaha..

Grass fed rib eye, roasted mini ret potatoes , roasted carrots and gold beets, Roasted zuchini chunks.. The base for the veg is coconut oil, pink salt, and cubeb pepper. I put the garlic in (whole unpeeled) half way in, thyme 10 mins before they are cooked. I add smoked hot paprika for the potatoes and smoked sweet paprika for the carrots and beets as well to accent them. Also used red wine vinegar in my oil spritzer to spray a thin layer of vinegar onto the potatoes when i added the garlic to give it extra tang.

cooked in emile henry bakeware and steak in my trusty Erie #10

im thankful for such a great meal, hopefully pics will come..

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Peppers and black bean sauce on rice for me and red curry chicken on rice for my wife. . . both meals were left overs from the last few days. Usually we would have half of each each but she thought the pepper dish came out too sweet . . . the caramelized onions were sweet but I mix my stir fry together whereas she eats her's separately.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Dave that is a stunning loaf of bread. Personally I'd be ok with sitting in a corner ripping pieces off . . . How did you eat it? Sandwich? Bit of butter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom