What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see pictures when it is done. It looks really promising and sounds yummy! :w00t:

Thanks! Here you go.

$734232_517095758322565_1451489531_n.jpg

And a slice to go. I should have let it bake for another 5-10 minutes the center isn't quite done. It's still delicious.

$74324_517096048322536_344983940_n.jpg

Mapo Tufo, inspired from the other thread here at B&B...although my huge mound of Garlic and greens fried down to almost nothing, lol!

proxy.php

I'm making chicken marsala tonight and will be serving it over whole wheat angel hair. I dislike whole wheat pasta but I need to eat more whole grains. :[
Marsala was good, could have reduced it more but I was hungry and everything else was done. The whole wheat spaghetti wasn't its undoing, it just didn't soak up much of the sauce. A slice of whole wheat bread did the trick.

The chicken scallopi portion was excellent with a dredge of flour, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Roasted some parsnips and carrots to go with and wished I had a nice pinot grigio or mellow chardonnay to go with it but alas, I had a Imperial Rye Ale I brewed up.

My house host loved the meal so much he text me over his lunch break wishing he had more of it and how good it was last night.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Two very nice looking mapo tofu dishes there. :thumbup1:

Sprinkle a little cilantro on it and fill up a plate for me. :drool:

lovely pics guys, ive been lazy lately .. i need to get back on the ball and start posting pictures again!

Italian Sausage crumbles, onion, garlic, tomato sauce and some cream made up tonight's sauce for the whole wheat penne.

Tomorrow night will be Koshary!!!!! :D

Herbed chicken and rice, done up in my microwave pressure cooker. Love this recipe, been making it for years. Simply a mix of rice and wild rice, along with onion, celery, parsley, herbs, and chicken stock. Add skinless chicken thighs then pop it into the microwave for a half hour.

Parsnip/walnut ravioli with a shiitake/cremini sauce. Crazy good - the sweetness of the parsnips well balanced by some red wine and mushroom umami. I'm looking forward to the leftovers tonight!

didnt take pics again grr.. sorry gents..

pulled out my wok today, Stir fried brocolli, with ginger garlic and finished in sesame oil.

Got a 3/4 lb piece of vaccio and marinated it in soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic, touch of sesame oil. seared it whole in the wok to medium rare, nice crust. sliced very thin with my deba. in the wok again coconut oil, whole birds eye chillis, szechuan peppercorns, fresh cara cara orange zest , some sugar, added the beef for 5 seconds , finished with sesame oil.

served on brown short grain japanese rice (kagayaki) ..

was a nice tip the butcher gave me for stirfrys, doing the meat that way. I actually had a perfect medium rare chinese stir fry dish... usually its overdone when sliced thin and stir frying.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Tonight, was a little bit of everything for Mrs. Gold and I. First off, 6 "colossal" shrimp prepared scampi style from allrecipes.com. After reading reviews, most people said to triple the recipe for the scampi sauce and they were right. I didn't do it but next time I will. Anyway, that was the appetizer.

Second course was penne alla vodka ( again, from allrecipes.com). It came out fine but again, after reading the reviews wherein a lot of reviewers recommended a 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper, I put 1/2 tsp. A little spicey for my taste, but the missus enjoyed it very much.

The main course was two beautifully marbled cuts of N.Y. strip steak. They were seasoned with freshly ground black pepper and coated with sea salt. Then, they were given the Griswold #10 treatment on the stovetop, about 7 minutes a side and then put in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes (turned over at the midway point). Afterwards, they were tented under foil for 5 minutes. The missus and I split one and sliced the other one up for tomorrow. As Jim says, they were PDG.

Dessert was zeppoles (another one from allrecipes.com) with ricotta, flour, 2 eggs, baking powder, vanilla, salt and sugar). They were sprinkled with granulated sugar and some with cinnamon sugar as I didn't have any confectionery sugar. Nevertheless, they were sinfully delicious.

As I type this, the sound of an Alka-Seltzer is fizzing away in a glass of cold water.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Last edited:
$DSC03378.jpg$DSC03381.jpg

Brunch just now: frittata with turkey bacon and mozzerella. Saute off "lardons" of turkey bacon (we have a Muslim kitchen!), then in with finely chopped garic, onion and julienned red and green pepper. Saute until softened. Lightly beat together 6 large eggs, season. Add to the pan and in with a pack of thrifty brand grated mozz. Cook for about 5 mins until the top is still a little wet and when you shake the pan it still wobbles.

Under a hot grill for a couple of minutes and serve.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today, I sliced up the second steak leftover from last night and put it on a roll. I ate it cold with some tomato, lettuce and mayo and it was PDG. :yesnod:

The bride bought some killer parsnips at the farmer's market so I roasted winter veggies with olive oil, S&P, rosemary, and thyme, and then tossed with a lemon caper vinaigrette after it came out of the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom