What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
$IMG_0212.jpgChristmas Eve: a big day of eating and drinking ahead and I have been to the butcher's to pick up my fillets of beef for 2 wellingtons (some poor souls like theirs' medium!). I thought I would do something quick tonight and got a nice little lamb rack, some French new pots I could zap in the microwave and some carrots for cooking Vichy style.

Lamb rack, easy enough: a good dose of S&P, fry off in oil and butter then with an artistic scattering of fresh rosemary from the herb garden (aka a pot on the balcony) into a hot oven for 25 mins.

Carrots, peel and slice on a diagonal. Into a pan with salt, sugar, butter, enough water to cover and a small piece of fresh young ginger, peel it and smash it with the flat of a big knife. Put this in the pan as well and simmer for 15 - 20 mins until both the carrots are cooked and the water has evapourated leaving a nice glaze. Discard the ginger and dish up.

Zap pots as per instructions and then put in a bowl, toss with butter, S&P and finely chopped tarragon from the aforementioned herb garden.

Slice the lamb into cutlets and serve with a sauce made from red wine and (canned) veal stock. And a bottle of Cotes Du Rhone.

Redneck Quiche Lorraine...

In a muffin tin, place a Ritz cracker, finely chopped ham, and shredded cheddar.
Mix 4 eggs, worcestershire, salt and pepper in a bowl, then fill the muffin tins the rest of the way.
Bake at eggs are firm. Plate and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Sounds awesome. We have a tradition of having nothing but appetizers on New Years Eve. This is officially now on the list. Can't wait to try it :thumbup:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
With all the clearing of ice that I've had to do over the last few days and after some cleaning up for Christmas I was glad to have some pizza dough I made nine days ago.
$2013-12-241.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Planned on making this yesterday but ended up not being home in time. Tasted great today!
Just some lamb and veggies.

$IMG_0217.jpgEpic Jason.

The missus is cooking tonight: being Indonesian it will be something in that vein. Ayam (chicken) Manado - Manado the capital of North Sulawesi province. It has tumeric, chilli, lime leaves, shallots, garlic and fresh basil leaves in a sauce thickened with a touch of coconut milk. I dont have the quantities as I am banned from the kitchen when she is creating…

She will make a vegetable dish called orak aril, I have no idea of the translation but you can use pretty much any vegetable, shredded cabbage, carrot and green beens tonight which are stir fried in a little oil, seasoned with salt as opposed to the soy sauce which is frequently used in Indonesian dishes, and lots of white pepper. Just before serving, beat an egg in a ramekin then stir it through the veggies.

Serve with steamed white rice and a nice sambal, a chilli relish of which there are hundreds of varieties.

Last edited:
Day off from work today, so after finishing all the odd jobs I decided to have late lunch/early dinner.

Couldn't help myself, made a big plate of Spätzle.

I try not to eat it too often, as I like it fried in butter with onion and ham.

Anyone else a Spätzle fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom