What's new

What's a mother to do?

Oh, and no offense luvmysuper, but Personna blades are terrible! (in my opinion at least) Get Derby blades on Amazon or something. Those Derby packs last over a year for me.

It's funny you say that because, for me, Derby's are only one step above those Personnas. Of course, YMMV.

I think the Injectors are very, very easy to shave with and do a fantastic job.

I agree. I lack the manual dexterity that most men are blessed with, and yet I can get flawless shaves out of my Injectors.

If you go the injector route, it may be worth nothing that the more modern injectors are not only easier to find, but also are more mild shavers than the older ones.

That is a good point. If you were to ask me specifically which Injector to recommend, I'd point to the "type I1" from the link that Dennis provided. That particular razor is lighter than most, which makes it easier for learning. That said, just about any Injector from the "type I" on is going to be a mild razor (true Injectorphiles correct me if I am wrong, please).

With regard to blades, I buy the Schick branded blades from drugstore.com.

If you prefer going with a double-edged razor, a Gillette Super-Speed "blue tip" is a nice mild razor. Folks who insist on using new razors often start with a Merkur HD.

Regardless of which route your young men choose, it is good that you are involved--way to go, Mom! :cool:

P

Pogo

nhcowboy,

I strongly endorse the post of Jim (#39) to get your son involved in making the decision. If you do it unilaterally, a 13-year-old is likely to resist.

His first decision is logically wet or electric shaving. In either case, at 13 years old, the first investment should be minimal. He will change his mind later and you don't want to waste money.

If wet shaving, my suggestion is a bag of Bic Sensitive disposables and a can of Barbasol or Colgate foam.

If electric shaving, my suggestion is a Braun Series 1, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...3Daps&field-keywords=braun+series+1&x=20&y=15, less than $45 or a Norelco 7310, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ield-keywords=norelco+shaver&sprefix=norelco+, also less than $45.

You could also take him to a barber for a first shave and ask for the barber's recommendation. It would make your son feel important.

Hope this helps.

Pogo

Last edited by a moderator:
First, in response to those who say I should let the kid decide this himself . . . well, yes, you're probably right. But, he's so eager to get started, he'd probably go with whatever he could get his hands on at Wal-Mart and not give it a second thought. So, for the time being, I'm going to try to (gently) push him in the right direction with something easy to find and inexpensive. Once he gets started, I'm sure he'll compare notes with friends who shave - and he'll either decide that old school is cool or . . . ???

So, the three starter razors that you all seem to prefer are the Tech, the Superspeed (1940's or blue tip), and the Schick Injector. At that point, I guess it comes down to personal preference. The one difference, though, if I'm correct, is that the Injector blades are not readily available and would have to be special ordered. (Although, from what you've said, good DE blades would have to be ordered also.)

I guess it's time to start checking the local antique shops . . . .

Both CVS and Walgreens (at least the ones near me) carry injector blades. If you have a have one of those near, or a half decent drug store, you should be able to find them.

Yeah, I'm gonna jump on the 'let him decide' bandwagon here. If he wants to try a DE, then great, but it will end badly if he has a DE forced on him, hates it and ends up buying cartridges. Could be years before he even considers 'that horrible razor mum got me' especially when none of his friends use anything of the sort. If a Bic sensitive goes over well, get him a DE for Christmas down the road so he can venture out. To start I'd explain the differences between disposables and DEs, and the pros and cons of the two. Then he'll feel more involved and will try to make the best of his decision in either case.

I'd insist on a good brush and soap/cream though.

Not knowing any better, my parents started me on an electric. (And I suppose because my dad gets along fine with one) So he's lucky to have a mom who's up on this stuff :cool:

I will chime in with my 10 cents, adjusted for inflation since I was 13, way back in the last millennium.

BICS? I remember those. I called them face killers. Even at dollar stores my cheap soul sneers at them.

Canned Lather? Gents, I have never used anything worse than Barbasol.

Of course, everyone is different and we are uniquely an experiment of one.

What is also important is the type of beard/stubble the fellow has. Is it thick, and coarse like barbed wire? Or is it fine and soft? That makes a difference, imho, as to what he should start out with.

I remember eagerly awaiting being able to shave. And then being bitterly disappointed at the results. I resigned myself to a lifetime of poor shaves whether from electrics or mulit-blade cartridges.

When I found this forum, I rediscovered the joy I had anticipated in shaving. I get rich, warm lather even on a cold winter's morn. I get close, smooth, comfortable shaves. This is something I look forward to every day now, instead of dreading and trying to get done in the absolute minimum of time.

My vote is for a starter boar brush and VDH Soap. That costs under $20, and he gets to experience the thrill of making his own lather, to his tastes, every time.

As to a razor, I will with hold until we know more about his stubble.

I know what you mean about experimenting ... but the face is actually easy to shave with a DE, at least most spots. The neck is where you need to know what you're doing, imho. But, even then, it's not like he's gonna slit his throat, just maybe a few nicks and bleeders at worst. That too will dissipate/disappear as his technique improves.

That's what styptic pencils were invented for. :biggrin:

Not being a "Mom" myself, however, I have been 13 years old- you may take this with a grain of salt.
Hand the mouse to your son and step away from the PC, let him research his own options.

Some things will be the result-

You will be empowering him to make good personal decisions as a young man about his apearance and self esteem.

He will respect your support for him at this critical time in his transition to manhood when,it could just as easily be rejected in a spat of young rebellion/ independence.

Besides he will feel much more acomplishment if HE decides the route to take. It is much cooler to say to his friends Yeah, I am so old school I decided to shave this way, than "My mom made me do this".:lol:

I am not saying abondon him or be disinterested.

Best of luck to your Son.

That's great advice, Jim. Why not turn him lose? He's a teenager and probably would appreciate the opportunity to explore his options and make the decision where he wants to go with this. Besides if he peruses B&B long enough on his own, there shouldn't be a problem making a wetshaver out of him. :wink:

Both CVS and Walgreens (at least the ones near me) carry injector blades. If you have a have one of those near, or a half decent drug store, you should be able to find them.

They carry them out my way too. So if he goes that route acquiring blades shouldn't be problem no matter where you're at.

You can also on occasion get AOS (Art of Shaving) starter kits for about $20 at your local CostCo-type store. IIRC, the kit includes a brush, shave cream (the lathering kind), and after shave balm.

Sounds like a great guy bonding experience . . . if we lived a bit closer, I'd send my kid to your house once a month!

If you were closer he'd be more than welcome...... :001_smile

If you were closer I'd sent you a razor and some blades too.............. ( I'm assuming you're on the other side of the world )

Everybody seems to be using their own experience rather than a kids here.

Thinks to remember:

1. He's only doing his top lip at the moment
2. The hair really is only peach fuzz.

As mentioned from my son's experience even two "very poor" passes will get rid of the fluff no problems, and he'll be wandering around faceturbating his top lip for the next couple of days :tongue_sm

As long as he's lathered up ( at this stage pre prep like showering, hot towel isn't actually necessary, in fact you don't even really need to teach him to lather at the moment really, IT'S ONLY PEACH FUZZ ), and he puts no pressure on the razor ( why ppl are recommending you need a mild razor ) there is almost NO chance of cutting himself and being put off DE shaving and since he's nowhere near his neck there's NO chance of decapitation :tongue_sm

You can ask him to make his own decision but at that age decisions normally just confuse them.

"Mild razor" and "forgiving blade" . . there have been several suggestions thus far, but if someone could make (or direct me to) a short list of what does and does not fall into these categories, that would be very helpful!

I wouldn't blow too much money on a new Merkur or something..................

Go out and buy a second hand Tech or a Superspeed ( there should be someone here than can help on the BST or something ) and some Derby blades, some soap/cream and a cheap ( like $2 ) brush and just go with it.

Or even go to the local hairdresser/tobacconist and get him a Weishi or a Seagull Chinese Twist to Open.

Here's the sort of thing you need to find on BST

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99918
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99302
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99906

or Chinese Razor

http://www.amazon.com/WEISHI-9306-W...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1248129769&sr=1-1

It's all about the experience at this age, NOT the technique !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What is also important is the type of beard/stubble the fellow has. Is it thick, and coarse like barbed wire? Or is it fine and soft? That makes a difference, imho, as to what he should start out with.

Upper lip is thick, dark fuzz. Sideburns are soft, but nonetheless long. So, length is an issue more than coarseness. I'm inclined to think that a once (or twice)-a-week shave should be adequate for the time being.

So, which razor does that suggest? My inclination, as always, is to give him something inexpensive (but correct) to start, and then have him try it out for a while, do his own research and figure out where he wants to go from there.

And - yippee! - I have finally found a male friend who doesn't think I'm nuts to give the kid shaving cream and a brush. (It took a lot of phone calls . . . .) Since this is someone the kid's close to and respects, that should help a lot.

By the way, DunEdinRanger, thanks for recommending a brush that I can afford!

Welcome, and call me Lou.

By the way, you'll know something's afoot when the kid starts to splash on aftershave to smell great for the ladies.

Upper lip is thick, dark fuzz. Sideburns are soft, but nonetheless long. So, length is an issue more than coarseness. I'm inclined to think that a once (or twice)-a-week shave should be adequate for the time being.

That's probably a fair assessment.

So, which razor does that suggest? My inclination, as always, is to give him something inexpensive (but correct) to start, and then have him try it out for a while, do his own research and figure out where he wants to go from there.

Well like a lot have suggested something like an old Gillette Tech could fit the bill. You might want to try the BST section of the forums and see what comes up. You should be able to find one for an inexpensive but fair amount of money there.

And - yippee! - I have finally found a male friend who doesn't think I'm nuts to give the kid shaving cream and a brush. (It took a lot of phone calls . . . .) Since this is someone the kid's close to and respects, that should help a lot.

That's great! I'm glad you found someone, although I can't say I'm surprised a number of people thought you were nuts. If the masses only knew what they're missing.

I've procured a few razors with the inclination to pass them on to a good cause and you sound like just the ticket.

I have an aluminum-handled Tech (made in Argentina) that should be right up his alley. I would send 10 blades or so with it. If you think you want to try this razor, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

The thing about the Tech: they are VERY mild razors (meaning the blade gap is very narrow). This is very good in your case because it is very difficult to cut himself. But, it's bad because the angle has to be precise to make sure the blade touches his skin and not just scrape lather off with the safety bar.

If you want it, let me know and I'll mail it out tomorrow. Good Luck, and great job, Mom!

What a wonderful offer, Danek - thank you! (I've sent a PM.)

Just curious, you say it's from Argentina - does that mean it would have a distinctive design?

Just curious, you say it's from Argentina - does that mean it would have a distinctive design?

It has "Gillette" inside a diamond shape etched onto the top face. On the bottom of the base plate is stamped "Made in Argentina". The handle is a ball-end, but made of aluminum, which makes the razor very light.

I don't think it is a unique or very distinctive design other than the "Made in Argentina" stamp on the base plate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom