What's new

What's a mother to do?

Well, I chickened out. Not entirely, but I decided it would be nice if my son's first shave could be a traditional barber's shave, complete with hot towels and straight razor. So he'd have a better sense of what he was aiming for (other than his nose :biggrin:) when he starts shaving on his own.

This was an undertaking, as it turned out, that was easier said than done. Partly because (as I was told), barbers are "traditionally closed on Monday" and partly because the barbers of New Hampshire are too chicken sh*t to do anything other than haircuts these days. I was told that, what with AIDS and all (no, I'm really not kidding!), they'd have to worry about disinfecting the razors. Yeah, well, duuuhhhh. (Remind me to bring my own scissors the next time I get my hair cut!)

I finally found a brave soul who was willing to both cut my son's hair and give him his first shave and, all in all, it wasn't bad. The hot towel prep was great, the products used were g-d-awful, and the shave itself was a few passes away from really clean . . . but it was my son's first shave and he come out looking fantastic! A good three years older than when he went in. He 's now on his way to a retreat that we go to every year, and I'm sure he'll get lots of comments from the adults on how grown up he looks.

I think he was pretty pleased with the experience also . . . He couldn't get over how good his skin felt (despite the tingly-stinging after shave). So I am hoping he learned a good lesson about much of a difference good prep makes . . . and I think he'll be even more impressed when he discovers that, with better products, he can have all that without it hurting. :tongue:

Razor, shaving cream & "My Nik is Sealed" all await his first shave when he gets back home next week.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I have a car for sale and managed to get a good dozen pictures of it on my cell phone . . . before I realized I'd killed the battery and had no way to get a picture of the kid's first shave!!! Ooops . . . . :blush:

Although I'm a bit older than your son, I'm just starting off with a DE myself. Just make sure he watches most of those Mantic videos and takes his time. If you're looking for an inexpensive starter brush and bowl, Van Der Hagen has both along with some soap for just about 10 bucks, and has treated me well so far. I found them in Bed Bath and Beyond but apparently you can find them all over the place. On top of that I tried the Wilkinson Sword brand blades, which seem to work very well.

Good luck!

Hi,

Greta posts so far from what I've read, but one thing that struck me, I don't know about the states, but over here, you can't buy DE blades until your 18/21 (depending upon shop), and also getting caught with them may cause some bother over cartridges...... I'm thinking school trips etc. teacher sees a razor blade and what do they think? Especially with a 13yo...... Hadn't seen anyone mention this point so thought it was worthwhile considering.

I wish I'd never touched a cartridge razor now, awful bloomin' things that should be thrown headlong into a volcano, they really arn't gentlemanly somehow.

ATB,
Tom

I think he was pretty pleased with the experience also . . . He couldn't get over how good his skin felt (despite the tingly-stinging after shave)

Fantastic effort, though not self "inflicted" , still a great start.

Keep us informed how he goes trying to emulate the barbers shave !!!! Just remind him slow and steady and tell him if he takes less than 6 passes he's ahead of my boy's first attempt :001_smile

I'm sure he'll be fine, my 13 is now up to shave 3 by himself and his top lip is easily as smooth as a hobo's bum :001_tongu

Last edited:
I don't know about the states, but over here, you can't buy DE blades until your 18/21 (depending upon shop), and also getting caught with them may cause some bother over cartridges...... I'm thinking school trips etc. teacher sees a razor blade and what do they think? Especially with a 13yo......

Oh no, you're quite right - it's probably even worse in the States. In many public schools, that would result in automatic expulsion, no questions asked. (Although you'd have had to make it past the metal detectors first . . . )

The one thing you're not considering, though, is that he's only 13. So the chance of his needing to shave more than once a week, much less more than once a day . . . well, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon! :biggrin:

Also, hell would freeze over and thaw again before I'd put a razor in his hand and tell him to go shave himself at school with a bunch of his friends standing around heckling him. I actually like the face he was born with!

Right now, the once a week shave ought to do it - and if he ever has a school field trip that lasts more than a week, he'll just have to live with it.

oh no, you're quite right - it's probably even worse in the states. In many public schools, that would result in automatic expulsion, no questions asked. (although you'd have had to make it past the metal detectors first . . . )

the one thing you're not considering, though, is that he's only 13. So the chance of his needing to shave more than once a week, much less more than once a day . . . Well, i don't think it's going to happen anytime soon! :biggrin:

Also, hell would freeze over and thaw again before i'd put a razor in his hand and tell him to go shave himself at school with a bunch of his friends standing around heckling him. I actually like the face he was born with!

Right now, the once a week shave ought to do it - and if he ever has a school field trip that lasts more than a week, he'll just have to live with it.

lol...... :d

I don't know about the states, but over here, you can't buy DE blades until your 18/21 (depending upon shop), and also getting caught with them may cause some bother over cartridges...... I'm thinking school trips etc. teacher sees a razor blade and what do they think?

That's really interesting. I don't think blade control is really on the radar here in the states (outside of metal detectors at the schools). There most certainly wouldn't be an age check to purchase blades of any type, as far as I know.

Outside of switchblades, I don't think there's any regulation of blade/knife carry around here (any LEO's can chime in if I'm wrong).

- Chris

TOutside of switchblades, I don't think there's any regulation of blade/knife carry around here (any LEO's can chime in if I'm wrong).

Oh there are rules and regulations and they vary by state. Take Michigan, for example:

Michigan -750.226... Carrying with unlawful intent
Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully
against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol
or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or
knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any
other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall
be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in
the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine
of not more than 2,500 dollars.

- 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
any person who shall have in his possession any knife
having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
his living requirements.

- 750.227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk,
stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of
any length, or any dangerous weapon, except a hunting
knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about
his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in
any vehicle... except in his or her dwelling house [or]
place of business... (3) A person who violates this
section is guilty of a felony...

- 750.222a Double-edged, nonfolding stabbing instrument defined.
(1) As used in this chapter, 'doubled-edged, nonfolding
stabbing instrument' does not include a knife, tool,
implement, arrowhead, or artifact manufactured from stone by
means of conchoidal fracturing.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an item being transported
in a vehicle, unless the item is in a container and inaccessible
to the driver.
History: Add. 2000, Act 343, Imd. ***. Dec. 27, 2000 .

- 259.80f Possessing... certain items in sterile area of airport;
(1) An individual shall not possess, carry, or attempt to possess
or carry any of the following in a sterile area of a commercial airport:
(a) Firearm.
(b) Explosive.
(c) Knife with a blade of any length.
(d) Razor, box cutter, or item with a similar blade.
(e) Dangerous weapon.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), an individual who
violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable
by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more
than $1,000.00, or both.
(3) An individual who violates subsection (1) while doing any of
the following is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for
not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both:
(a) Getting on or attempting to get on an aircraft.
(b) Placing, attempting to place, or attempting to have placed on an
aircraft an item listed in subsection (1).
(c) Committing or attempting to commit a felony.
(4) [Exempts most officials]...
(7) As used in this section:
(a) 'Commercial airport' means an airport that has regularly
scheduled commercial flights to and from other destinations.
(c) 'Sterile area' means that term as defined in 14 C.F.R. 107.1.
History: Add. 2001, Act 225, ***. Apr. 1, 2002 .

- 380.1313 Dangerous weapon found in possession of pupil...
(1) If a dangerous weapon is found in the possession of a pupil
while the pupil is in attendance at school or a school activity
or while the pupil is enroute to or from school on a school bus,
the superintendent of the school district or intermediate school
district, or his or her designee, immediately shall report that
finding to the pupil's parent or legal guardian and the local
law enforcement agency.
(2) If a school official finds that a dangerous weapon is in the
possession of a pupil as described in subsection (1), the school
official may confiscate the dangerous weapon or shall request a
law enforcement agency to respond as soon as possible and to
confiscate the dangerous weapon. If a school official confiscates
a dangerous weapon under this subsection, the school official
shall give the dangerous weapon to a law enforcement agency and
shall not release the dangerous weapon to any other person,
including the legal owner of the dangerous weapon. A school
official who complies in good faith with this section is not
civilly or criminally liable for that compliance...
(4) As used in this section, 'dangerous weapon' means a firearm,
dagger, dirk, stiletto, knife with a blade over 3 inches in length,
pocket knife opened by a mechanical device, iron bar, or brass knuckles.
History: Add. 1987, Act 211, Imd. ***. Dec. 22, 1987 ;--Am. 1995,
Act 76, ***. Aug. 1, 1995 .
Popular Name: Act 451

And here you thought it was just a simple as not possessing a switchblade. :biggrin:

Hi,

Greta posts so far from what I've read, but one thing that struck me, I don't know about the states, but over here, you can't buy DE blades until your 18/21 (depending upon shop), and also getting caught with them may cause some bother over cartridges...... I'm thinking school trips etc. teacher sees a razor blade and what do they think? Especially with a 13yo...... Hadn't seen anyone mention this point so thought it was worthwhile considering.

I wish I'd never touched a cartridge razor now, awful bloomin' things that should be thrown headlong into a volcano, they really arn't gentlemanly somehow.

ATB,
Tom

What about cartridge razors? Is there an age limit for them?

Now technically there should be, but it seems you can purchase them at any age because they are encased in plastic........ daft huh. I got patted down by some policeman a few years back and had to inform the copper what the law was he trying to tell me about......... great police force we have :D. I get ID'd from time to time, but usually I've got beer at the same time :D

Tom

Oh there are rules and regulations and they vary by state. Take Michigan, for example:

And here you thought it was just a simple as not possessing a switchblade. :biggrin:

Michigan -750.226... Carrying with unlawful intent
Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully
against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol
or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or
knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any
other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall
be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in
the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine
of not more than 2,500 dollars.

The intent needs to be proven first, is what my take out from this is. And there's another bunch of stuff from the airports, where you can't even carry your aftershaves, forget your Col. Conks. Mine round of Conks was confiscated by security. And to boot I had by DE razor too. They wanted to take that away, but I convinced them to just be content with the blades.

All said and done, great way to go nccowboy. A real mans mum.

Top Bottom