What's new

What would be the slickest soap ever?

Two notably slick ones for me were the Arko stick and the body shop’s Macaroot.
All the soaps I’ve used have been fine, I used hand soap last week in a hotel room as I’d packed my brush away and even that did a job, but those two I mentioned stood out.
When I shave with these two I don’t have to relather to touch up and I use a straight razor.

What would be the slickest soap ever, the one so slippery that...

This:

proxy.php

Not this one:

proxy.php

Ohhhh, I love summer... We are almost there. Three more months...

Last edited:
Any decent soap should provide enough slickness if the lather is built right, as many have already stated. Frankly, if you're not getting enough slickness from any half decent soap, then I'd wager you're doing something wrong.

That said, some factors that people don't often mention is how thin you like your lather. People with finer facial hair that use DEs can get away with a less hydrated lather, and some lathers are super slick when highly hydrated (Barrister and Mann) wheres others can be quite slick with a wider hydration range (Tabac). In other words, if I only had a few minutes to shave and didn't want to spend a lot of time on a lather then I'd likely reach for tallow Tabac over Omnibus, as you can get decent slickness even with a half assed lather, where Omnibus, for me, has greater slickness potential at the cost of lather forgiveness. Inversely, on days where I'm willing to spend a long time building a lather I'd take a perfectly made omnibus lather over just about anything. La Toja is another soap that will provide decent slickness at lower levels of hydration... something you won't experience with, say, the Fat, which demands boatloads of water.

This, I speculate, is one of the many factors that induce such a wide range of answers from people beyond outright bias and favoritism. Some people under hydrate, and certain soaps are tolerant of that lathering style. Some people will dump water into lather until it the peaks collapse under their own weight, and entirely different soaps are tolerant of that.

Another example of an oft unspoken variable....Some people load light and only build what I'd call foam, rather than lather, and certain soaps are tolerant of that. Others load for a minute solid and chase Greek yogurt or marshmallow fluff consistency and other soaps are ideal for that. MdC, for example, will allow very light brush loads, whereas PDP will not.

We don't know if you load heavy and build dry lathers, load light and build wet lathers, load heavy and build dry lathers or any shade of grey in between...and mind you, these variables are only two ransom examples.

I'm rambling...but my point is, this question is basically impossible for us to answer in a way that will be useful to you as an individual. It takes some people years of experimentation to find their own answer to this question. We will never have enough information about you, your shaving style, lathering methods, skin properties etc to answer this question in a way that's applicable to you.

This is an age long question but a good one nonetheless! i will say this, and i can be wrong of course, in order to find the slickest soap FOR YOU, you must use it with a straight razor. I've found that DE's and SE's are forgiving and can tolerate a less slick soap! it's only when use a straight that you must have the best, slickest and most protective soap. This could very well be due to mediocre skills using a straight, not denying this.

in light of this i found the slickest soaps for me which are unfortunately discontinued are the old AoS tallow soap and iColoniali mango soap. keep in mind my soap experience is somewhat limited compared to other memebers. in the last 12 years since i started wetshaving i may have used about 50 soaps total where more experienced members used 100's. I do love XPEC, SMN, MdC, Antica Barberia Colla and Savonniare du Moulin shave sticks to mention a few

Top Bottom