What's new

What would be the slickest soap ever?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
In my limited experience, Cella red is dollar-for-dollar the slickest I’ve tried. More so than Tabac tallow. But the slickest regardless of cost is Santa Maria Novella. Hands down.

IMG_1621.jpeg

With the creams and grease that I use pre shave my hands still feel slippery after a soap washing. The alum is liberally applied to my wet hands before reaching for brush or razor.
I think the op means use right out of the tub. You could vaseline as pre shave and your the slickness would be beyond measure.

I think the op means use right out of the tub. You could vaseline as pre shave and your the slickness would be beyond measure.
Yes he did mean slickness from soap tub. I used Vito’s exclusively for a year. An excellent soap and lather. Very good in slick and glide. My first shave switching from Vito’s to Saponificio Varesino felt like I had roller skates on. An added application of shea butter pre shave felt like I had ice skates on. Good, Better, Best. Soaps I’ve used in the three price range categories all performed adequately as in good or better. Non of the lower or higher priced offers got to be best, for slick and glide. My shave requires best, slick and glide, unobtainable without a greasy pre-shave.

There are many gents who apply anything from Arko Stick lather to bar soap to enhance slick and glide, as a pre shave, or speed boost. Quick lathers are the most efficient.

Looking for and exploring the limits in any software or hardware products will eliminate a few competitors. Dramatic changes often require adding or changing something.

Kiss my Face moisture shave is one of the slickest products I've used, that is currently easily available. It readily brush lathers. And at less than $1 per ounce, one of the best cost to performance ratios out there.

The absolute slickest I've used is the long discontinued Williams shaving cream with lanotrate25, a concentrated lanolin extract.

For soaps, it would have to be the tallow Mitchell's Wool Fat, now discontinued and reformulated. The second place soap would be Saponifico Verisino.

Williams was personally the slickest soap I've ever used, at least the slickest lather I"ve been able to make. Basically a layer of snail snot, if done right.

John, are you talking about an official "pre-shave" product, or any shea butter lotion type of goop? If pre-shave, which one?
I’ve tried quite a few pre shave preps at the beginning. When I made the switch to Saponificio Varesino products exclusively. I started using their Shea Butter as my pre shave prep. It is butter hence greasy. I make sure it is well massaged into my skin. I also let it penetrate my skin for at least ten minutes. Any greasy pre shave will affect your shave soap. My lather is put onto my skin thick and I adjust it from a thick yogurt consistency to where I like it. The extra lathering ensures that the grease does not overwhelm the soap. The pre shave is as much a skin conditioner as it is pre shave blade protection. I’ve read other gents using some of the different shea butters available on Amazon. I had tried one of those which was not refined. If I were to try another I would select one of the refined shea butters. You do have to be careful using greasy pre shave preps they can overwhelm your shave soap. A little goes a long way. Taking the extra time massaging it into your skin is also very helpful in having your skin very supple for the shave. I really enjoy the massaging as it is also a comfort. I spend more time on pre and post shave preps than the actual shave. I have very sensitive skin. The extra effort has my skin feeling and looking great with excellent comfort.

I'm so used to canned goods like Barbasol (I know, I know) that I find the slickness of shaving soaps almost strange. Even budget soaps like Vitos feel very slick to me.

Williams was personally the slickest soap I've ever used, at least the slickest lather I"ve been able to make. Basically a layer of snail snot, if done right.
Came here to say pretty much this. Williams was the first to come to my mind.
That being said, while it was stoopid slick, it didn't offer the cushion or protection I would have liked.

Slick is necessary, but not sufficient.

Hair conditioner
I think there is much truth here. A few weeks ago I applied some conditioner to my face before getting out of the shower. This is normal for me, as I keep it on the stubble while I build lather. Usually, I just brush on the first application of soap directly onto the conditioner. That time, I shaved with just the conditioner.

It worked just fine. Similar to something like VDH Shave Butter.

I still went back to soaps though.

Top Bottom