What's new

What was your first shave rig/routine when you started (I mean first!!)

I was issued a DE Gillette in boot camp at Parris Island in the USMC.
The year was 1972 & it had a black handle. As for the shave cream; it was in a can.

I was 13, Schick injector, Barbasol Menthol
and Aqua Velva Ice Blue which I thought should be called fire-in-glass.
Promptly tried to cut off my upper lip (seems I had a hand-eye issue)
Novacaine for the stiches.
Decided to grow a mustache so I didn't have to shave my lip anymore.

I don't really remember what I started shaving with. I think it was a Schick (which I still have) using dual blade cartridges. I can never remember the name of it, but I think it was something like "Mark II"? Used foam out of a can and whatever aftershave my mother bought for me. :rolleyes:

I was 12 or 13, and I REALLY needed to shave that crappy mustache that you get when you're younger. Used one of those orange Bic disposables, no water, I think I used old spice aftershave. In short, it was painful.

barbasol "beard buster".
a blue disposable twin
brut "after bath splash"

13 years old. I took about 2 N-S passes, then about 3-5 S-N passes. It actually felt good, all numb and funny until I put on the "aftershave"......It was downhill from there for 17 years until about 2 months ago.

My shaving history:
I first started shaving using the Gillette Sensor Excel and a can of goo (Edge, I think).
Around the end of high school and first part of college I upgraded to the Mach3 (still with the goo) and began to get the combo of next irritation and ingrown hairs.
Looking for something better, I tried the electric norelco as my father and grandfather have both used them for as long as I can remember. I went with one of the norelco razors that you can use dry or with a goo that dispenses from the top and use it either in or out of the shower. While the intention was there, the results were not. Using the goo (in or out of the shower) left me with more razor bumps and ingrown hairs than ever before, and using the razor dry left my face dry and sensitive to anything put on it afterward (ASB, cologne on the neck, etc.)
Finally, enlightenment! Toward the end of med school/beginning of residency I had to find a cure. That cure ended up being the good 'ol B&B. Ingrown hairs and razor burn are mostly a thing of the past and now I have a new hobby in wetshaving. The razor count is now upwards of twenty, two brushes (with two B&B's on the way!), and a cabinet full of fragerant shave soaps and creams ready to go to work.
If only I could rewind the time and start over with this setup ten years ago...at least any future children of mine will not have to make the same mistakes.
Lastly, along the way I have converted my brother and a few friends from the dark side:a45:

Whatever disposable my mom had on hand (I think it was the white handled Bics) plus goo-in-the-can. Then, I graduated to a Gillette Sensor plus goo. Along the way, I tried a base model Norelco. The way it left my skin was horrid, but it was ok if I wanted to be left with that scruffy look. Most of the time, though, I would just use a beard trimmer and get it as close as possible.

Spring of '64 or perhaps just a bit earlier. This predates Goo and Disposables and cartidges.

Schick injector
Rise foam (remember that?)
No aftershave or cologne

--John Gehman

I remember Rise shaving cream very well. I used it for my very first shave in the spring of my sophomore year in high school, which was in 1963, along with a Gillette razor-I know now that it was a Super Speed-and a Gillette Super Blue bade. There was no after-shave, although I had to make heavy use of little bits of toilet paper and my dad's styptic pencil to stop the bleeding. I continued to use Rise off and on for a number of years. When I was in basic training at Ft. Dix, NJ, I couldn't find any other brand of shaving cream in the PX branch closest to my barrack.

nelson

A Gillette DE (not adjustable, that was Dad's razor!)
Canned foam, brand not remembered
Old Spice aftershave

After that first shave, I had a selection of razors to choose from, Gillette DE, Schick Injector, Gillette Techmatic, and twin blade cartridge razors, just NOT Dad's Gillette adjustable! But somehow, the Norelco became my "goto" for many years.

I've always been blessed with a light beard, although at 14, it didn't seem like such a blessing!

Anyway, the first rig was:

Gillette Techmatic (the dial-a-ribbon thing).
Some goop in a tube.
Water.

The goop was laced with menthol, eucalyptus, moisturizers and God knows what else. Every time I used it (every 6 months for a couple of years), my face broke out and wouldn't calm down for at least a week. :crying: :crying:

Sophomore year in college, I bought the old spice mug/soap and matching brush. I have used only hard soaps ever since. Somewhere in there I stepped up to a Schick injector, and later (can it really have been 30 years now?:eek: ) a badger brush.

In 1980, I was staying with my grandfather, a proper old gent whom I will always associate with the smell of Dickinson's witch hazel. He suggested I try a new razor he had bought a few days before. Something called "ATRA". I liked it, he gave it to me, and it was my daily razor until I bought my first DE last Fall.

Petrveliki

First rig:

Gillette sensor excel :sad:
Nivea from the can :001_unsur :crying:
Nivea sensitive ASB

First 'real' rig:

Merkur Futur
Trumper rose soap
Plisson EW
Coral skin food

Gillette Sensor ("appropriated" from Dad, who had grown a beard)
Gillette canned foam
Gillette AS gel (or, on a good day, Chanel Egoïste AS lotion - first stirrings of expensive tastes :biggrin:)

Yes, I, too, had somehow formed the idea that shaving before the shower was a good idea. With that and the above kit, why was I surprised at having a sore face for so long?

Shockingly, variations on this theme (think M3, think Neutrogena) played at various sinks in several countries until last autumn. Though I had, by then, at least realized that to shower beforehand was a good idea.

A Remington electric. I think I borrowed my Brother's, and eventually got my own Norelco. Man, I hated using that thing when I'd let it go a couple days.

-Mo

M

modern man

What ever my dad had

Bic disposable
Barborsol foam
Afta

My first REAL rig

70's SS
Burma Brush
Burma/Williams mug soap
Clubman