What's new

What was your first shave rig/routine when you started (I mean first!!)

I don't think I can remember. I think I shaved with a Remington Electric I got as a present in the mid 80s - this would include the powder and all that. Pretty sure I switched a Sensor and Edge or Foamy after that and used mostly the Sensor and Edge up until DEs.

Dennis

Gillette Slimboy/Gillette Stainless Blade/Foam (Mennen, Rise, or Gillette)

Last year, going back to DE shaving, I asked my mom where dad's old razor was. Twenty years after his passing, it was still in the medicine cabinet. It wasn't the gold Gillette I remembered as a child but a slimboy. After cleaning the soap scum and old whiskers, I checked the build date...it was my old razor. I had left the razor at home when I went to college. So I'm now back to using my first razor.:biggrin:

My other surprise was my mom saying "You might as well take the old blades too." It was a pack of Super Blues. As a beginner, I tried them once in place of stainless and hated them. I couldn't believe my dad was still using them 20 years ago since stainless blades were introduced around 40 years ago!

Jim

The first time I ever shaved, I think my Dad got me a Gillette Sensor (2 blades?) which was their newest razor, and a can of whatever Gillette foam was being sold at the time.

When I re-discovered proper shaving my first setup was Merkur Futur, EJ Best Badger brush, AOS Lavender soap bowl.

the absolute first rig-
plastic DE razor
waxed cardboard blade
bubbly soap
plastic bottle of mystery aftershave
i think i was 8 or 9 and bought it at a roses dime store.lol
came on a plastic coated cardboard display card

my first real shave, i have no idea what i used.

Noelco electric shaver as a Christmas gift and that was the shaver my dad used. That would have been in 1969.

I was 16 and had a face full of peach fuzz. I could never get a decent shave from it, and switched to a Gillette DE (I wish I had it back now) and can of Edge Gel. My first shave was a bloody mess.

Eventually I just grew a beard and had one all through college. After college I got another Gillette DE, a Surry shave brush and soap and mug as a gift. That was 1976. Shaving was painful and often just plain bloody. The styptic pencil and bits of toilet paper were my constant companions. I always shaved against the grain and had no clue on how to make a decent lather. A little warm water, a couple swirls, shave and bleed. That took me through the mid-80's and I again grew another beard. Shaving was for masochists, as far as I was concerned.

Wish I had had something like B&B back then. The younger generation has no idea how bad we had it. I have always wanted to use that line.

It would've been about 1962. It was a Gillette DE with TTO, I have no clue as to the model and probably a Gillette Blue Blade. As my dad used Williams Brushless Cream, that's probably what I used. I most probably finished it off with Old Spice A/S (and probably a number of tiny pieces of tissue stuck to the bleeders).

Sorry, Tim (Ratcheer), the Trac II was not introduced until 1971. Perhaps, you were using the same first razor I used when I started shaving in 1967, the Gillette Techmatic.

My first shave gig was this razor, Clubman Shave Cream and Mennen Skin Bracer. Back in the day, you could buy cheaply Old Sice mug and shave soap.

Cheers!
Porcine

started off at around 15 using a Gillette Sensor I bought by myself and fathers boar brush and Gillette SC. I think then came the canned goo and in between there was a time when I used up a pack o' disposables I got for birthday. Used an electric for some time (mostly during military service), afterwards I grew a beard, then switched to the Mach III until a few months ago when I wished it all to hell and insisted on switching to a straight :thumbup:

Wilkinson Sword Non-pivoting Atra-type razor
Boar Brush
Old Spice Shave Soap

I still have the mug and the brush. The mug currently houses a cake of Surrey Deluxe Shave Soap and the brush I keep for sentimental value. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Tim (Ratcheer), the Trac II was not introduced until 1971. Perhaps, you were using the same first razor I used when I started shaving in 1967, the Gillette Techmatic.

My first shave gig was this razor, Clubman Shave Cream and Mennen Skin Bracer. Back in the day, you could buy cheaply Old Sice mug and shave soap.

Cheers!
Porcine

Well, I said it was a long time ago. :tongue:

Maybe it was a Schick injector. :confused: I do know it was 1969 when I started.

Tim

Wilkinson Bonded cartridge razor, Rise Baby Face Menthol Shave Cream, maybe some Mennon's skin Bracer.

An excellent cartridge system.

Wow, memories......

My first would have bee about 13 too. I believe it was one of these Gillette blue twin blade disposables - Good News I think they were called. My father discovered he'd get more shaves out of the disposables than a safety razor and was a convert. Soon after it was those cheap Bic twins... Then Schick came out with one that had a little thingy to clean out between the blades. That was awesome for the first two shaves until the thingy caught a blade and, well... went in the trash.

I used a can of foamy whatever was cheap too. Dad on the other hand had the mug with a cake of Williams and a well (very, VERY well) used drugstore boar brush on the sink. (same ones they sell now- made by some company in TX)

The sound of the brush handle against the mug if forever ingrained in my memories!:001_smile

It;s funny, I'm learning, finally, to use a brush (my first attempts while well intentioned were seriously flawed, and for some reason I never asked him to teach me...) and he's useing a can of foamy and a Bic twin disposable!

We've both run the gammot, but now that I got him some Injector blades he says he'll go back to that (hoo ray!!), since he only stopped useing it for lack of blades.

Hi Tim,

I meant no disrespect; I often forget what I did yesterday. The Techmatic is imprinted indelibly in my mind, like several scars it left on my face!

Cheers!
Porcine

15 years old, Good News disposable, Ivory soap and some Stetson aftershave that was part of a gift set I had receive a couple years before because my PE teacher had sent a note home to my parents (and other kids parents) telling them that teachers were complaining about how we smelled after gym class.

The only thing that stands out about that shave is I remember dropping an F bomb as soon as the aftershave hit my face! I asked dad about it later and got the typical response, "Son, if it doesn't burn it isn't doing you any good...just buck up and get used to it!" :rolleyes:

Well, I'm old enough(43)that I can say that I used a Gillette Superspeed(60's vingtage)of Dad's and whatever canned foam he had. I certainly didn't realise then what a huge circle I would be making. Truthfully if we hadn't lost Dad's DE to a house fire I might have stayed with it. My earliest memories of the cartridges(Trac II)is that they were complete ****e. I started when I was 15 and lost the DE a little later. If I would have progressed to a mature beard using the DE and understanding it's proper use, I may not have spent 20+ years before I got tired of cartridges and started looking for a cheaper alternative. Re-enter the DE and I fully understood why Dad grew a beard after losing the Gillette.

BTW, I do remember my first experience with A/S. Some alcohol based splash that lit me up like I was on fire! Don't remember the brand.

Regards, Todd

Early 70's...my dad's Schick Injector (it had a brass head and white handle), his canned foam, and his aftershave...Old Spice I believe.

1st shave was at 15 (12 years ago). I used a Gillette Sensor with Williams mug shaving soap, and a very cheep brush. I used this setup until my jump to a Mach 3. Last year I found what good soap, and preshave oil was. That is also when I upgraded to a really nice razor and brush set. I still use the brush, but an now using a DE razor.

Kirk

Can't really remember all that well. Although I think I stole one of my mum's boyfriend's Bic disposables (or could've been something like a Gillette Blue II) out of the bathroom cabinet and just started shaving without any shaving foam. I think it went on like that for a month or two, when I was quite probably just shaving dry skin without any lubrication (although I really can't remember if I at least applied water to my face beforehand..). I think at the time I was simply too naive to understand that it's maybe better to shave with some kind of shaving foam etc....

Ahhh yes, naturally, I thought it was clever at the time...

And sure enough, it makes me shudder to think of that now......:shocked:

Top Bottom