What's new

What was your first shave rig/routine when you started (I mean first!!)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow, this thread's been buried for awhile.

Dad's '40s style super speed.
Probably Gillette blue blades.
Gillette canned goo.

Then Trac II.
Then Stick Schick.
Then Sensor.
Then a couple of electrics.
Then Mach III.
Then Fusion.
Then str8s.
Now back to super speeds, 3 piece old types, and a few Gem and Ever Ready SEs.

And a few Bic and other disposables along the way.

Last edited:
I was 13...
....Promptly tried to cut off my upper lip (seems I had a hand-eye issue)
Decided to grow a mustache so I didn't have to shave my lip anymore.

Same thing happened to me:laugh:At age 13 all I had was some gray fuzz on my mouth corners and I tried shaving it of with no lather/foam/gel whatsoever...I cut myself and decided that shaving is not for me:laugh:
My first actual shave was in my late 16s with a Gillette 2-blade disposable with pivoting head,Top Ten(cheap bulgarian SC)with no brush and some AS that hurt like a mother:laugh:

Gillette Mach 3
Asprey's Silvertip Badger Brush(My Father's)
Noxema Sensitive Skin Shaving Foam Red Can-Applied with Brush(I didn't know that tube shaving creams or shaving soaps existed!)
Hermes Caleche EDT for Aftershave(Ouch!)

So long ago! I believe my first encounter with the Blade was in my 15th year; used Dad's trusty injector with either canned goo or Williams soap. I remember a nasty experience getting at that little bit just beneath my nose (columella-labial junction), shaving against the grain . . . . twisted the blade just at the finish . . . Help! Medic!

Pinched my old mans stuff.

Very first shave was.
Bic Sensitive (orange) razor
Faulding shave cream

Basically, wet my face, rubbed some cream on my hands, then my face, then attempted to cut. Didnt turn out to bad.

Not long after that moved to Foam in a can, and then Gel in a can. Changed to some two blade, then three blade disposable razors.

Then moved into a Mach three, and a cheap Boar shaving brush and Shaving gel, but not in a can (King of shaves). During this time tried mach 3 turbo, and the Schick Quattro, both of which i got for free.

Then moved into DE shaving.

Hot shower or washing my face in hot soapy water and then shaving with a Gillette good news disposable and colgate aloe shave cream

First shave at 13 was with an electric razor....

First wetshave:

Mach 3
Nivea sensitive gel
Nivea asb (still using the bottle I've had for the past 5 years :001_rolle)

Man this makes me feel young, I'm part of a generation that started out shaving with 3+ blades :bored: I started around 13:

Hot shower (never any direct attention to my face)
Gelette Mach 3 Turbo
Gelette chemical goop-in-a-can
Suffered with the driest skin in the world :glare:

My first shaving tool was a hand-me-down electric from my Dad. Totally worn out, and hurt like hell to use. I believe that I then switched to a Mach 3 and gel, which I used for the next 10 years until now!

Very first shave rig was

Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Blades
Williams Mug Soap
Boars Hair Brush
Old Spice After Shave

Wow that's weird I've gone full circle :001_smile

Not sure, but maybe for my first couple of shaves I used my dad's stuff. This was a 3-piece razor, probably Gillette. I seem to remember an open comb design, but I could be wrong. Gillette blue blades. Williams soap, boar brush. Or maybe he just had the soap and brush and generally used stuff in a can.

For my own stuff, I think the first razor was a Gillette adjustable TTO. I could be wrong about the adjustable part for my first razor. It was definitely TTO with chrome or nickel plating.

Gillette blue blades. I don't remember them very well, but I remember that when the Wilkinson stainless blades came out, they were a huge improvement.

Stuff in a can, probably Barbasol, but I remember Noxzema in there somewhere.

Sometimes Old Spice aftershave.

Left it for the hippie years of not shaving at all, then I probably figured that whatever was currently out was better than the old-fashioned DE.

Last edited:
First shave:
Mach 3 turbo (hacking against the grain only!!) ---> i would wait 4 days between shaves!
Gillette Foam Goo
Lastly, Hot shower. (to seal up weepers!) LOL! I had no clue how to shave!

First DE shave:
Hot shower
Merkur 34HD with Derby steel
Shavemac #177 21mm Silvertip Brush
Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood Soap and Cream
Armani Code Arftershave Balm
:thumbup1:

Way back in early seventies I think !!!!

It was my father's Fat Handle Tech nickle loaded on a 7'O clock Blade and lathered with Godrej Shaving soap

BOY !!!!!! felt like an Adult for the first time !!!

AND THE SHAVE WAS A DISASTER.....

Vijay

My first shave was just after my 16th birthday. My Gran decided I looked like a "communist" and insisted I started shaving. She bought me a Gillette Sensor, a tub of Wilkinson Sword soap and a Wilkinson Sword Boar Brush. I still have the brush. When the WS soap ran out I changed to Erasmic which I have used every shave up until I recently discovered creams. The Sensor uprgraded to a Sensor Excel and then a Sensor 3. It was with the Sensor 3 the troubles started, the burn, bumps and ingrowns. So I decided to swap to a Wilkinson Sword Quattro, which made my face even worse. I plugged on swapping between the Sensor 3 and Quattro for quite a few years, until I a work mate suggested a DE razor. So I then tried a Wilkinson Sword Classic to see if I could get on with it and I did, so the quest for a decent razor started, that is when I found this forum and soon after that I bought a Muhle R89. I am hoping that the R89 will be my only razor now until they are nailing my coffin shut.

Top Bottom