What's new

What to offer?

I stopped by a local antique store today for DEs and they had some straights. Now I know nothing about straights as far as brands are concerned. There were 3 in a leather case marked $29, 2 in a tube marked $22, and one marked $21.

I was wondering what may be a good price to offer for all of them? This woman seemed to not know anything about them, nor do I. I just remember a couple of them saying Massachusets on them. All the handles were that simple black or ivory smooth finish, except the single one was a bit "fancy". As I remember only one blade had a chunk out of it, they all opened and closed(some loser than others), and the fancy one had a chunk out of the handle, which when realized she quickly marked down to $10.

I figured if she marked one down that quick, I may be able to get a good deal on all of them. BTW-I'm hoping to use some of these someday if possible.

Thanks guys.

Leave the ones with the chipped blades and handles and get the best one. Have it honed up by someone one the board and get a strop and start shaving.

bj

For me $10 a razor is not bad for antique stores around here but they need to be rust (and that includes black rust which looks like heavy silver tarnish) free and have blades not ground down to nubs. I would pick up which ever have the largest undamaged blades and possibly the nicest one since it usually has a decent blade if the scales are cool. Who knows you might not need to replace the scales at all.

Top Bottom