What's new

What is your favorite Bible translation?

I know this information from a true alchemist : the only correct & reliable translation edition for English language, even if it contains errors, is :

--> the King James version

Nothing else.

I know this information from a true alchemist : the only correct & reliable translation edition for English language, even if it contains errors, is :

--> the King James version

Nothing else.
As someone who can read Hebrew and Aramaic, I know the KJV is good. However, it's impossible for a single translation to be accurate as each Hebrew word has many meanings depending on the context. It takes an excellent Jewish commentary to get the full meaning.

I've never read a bad translation. They all have their positive points.

I am writing a commentary on 2 Peter and Jude and doing my own translation from Greek as I go. It is hard to translate better than the NASB, but of course, I have to use some synonyms for words or it would be the NASB. It is a fun project and though I check my work against all of the major translations, that is the one that is always good. The NKJV is also good. I like the ESV except in a couple of places where the translation is really weird, possible, but weird.

There are a few translations that are pretty good, but reflect a liberal higher criticism that purposely mistranslates verses, especially in the Old Testament. They are possible, but miss the cultural understanding of the words and context. So, I stick with tried and proven.

Thank you all for your comments :)

A friend of mine, who lives in US was kind enough to send me an used pew NKJV bible, because they decided to change translation. It is much more comfortable for me to read hard copy paper book than from phone/internet. For now I read what I have in my hands, the God's word is important for me.

In beginning I stuggled a little with some words like "bear a son" or "brought forth", because they were not known for me (till then bear was just mean animal), but I this is just my weakness of language, not translation problem.

I would look for NASB and NIV in paper, seems they are popular, but till now the only option for them is bible app.

God bless you !

Thank you all for your comments :)

A friend of mine, who lives in US was kind enough to send me an used pew NKJV bible, because they decided to change translation. It is much more comfortable for me to read hard copy paper book than from phone/internet. For now I read what I have in my hands, the God's word is important for me.

In beginning I stuggled a little with some words like "bear a son" or "brought forth", because they were not known for me (till then bear was just mean animal), but I this is just my weakness of language, not translation problem.

I would look for NASB and NIV in paper, seems they are popular, but till now the only option for them is bible app.

God bless you !
The New King James Version is a good translation. Its only problem is that it tries to follow the KJV structure and is choppy because of it. Still, it is very good and is one of my top three or four choices. I think the NASB 2020 and the NLT flow better.

What is your native language?

The New King James Version is a good translation. Its only problem is that it tries to follow the KJV structure and is choppy because of it. Still, it is very good and is one of my top three or four choices. I think the NASB 2020 and the NLT flow better.

What is your native language?
Bulgarian

Bulgarian
Hmmm. I don't know anyone there who could get a bible to you. That is what I was thinking.

You know, the New Living Translation is a good, easy to read translation. It is the one I usually recommend to non native English speaker (and to a lot of native English speakers). It is much better than the NIV or some of the others that are easier to read. There is even a Catholic Edition for Roman Catholics (I think it is still in print, but I'm not sure). Anyway, it would be reliable, but much easier to read than the NKJV or NASB.

As someone who can read Hebrew and Aramaic, I know the KJV is good. However, it's impossible for a single translation to be accurate as each Hebrew word has many meanings depending on the context. It takes an excellent Jewish commentary to get the full meaning.

I've never read a bad translation. They all have their positive points.

Most English translations of the Old Testament are based on the Masoretic Text which was compiled by Jewish scholars between 6-10 AD. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were found, they confirmed the accuracy of many of the passages in the Masoretic Text.

The differences between English Translations of the New Testament are usually due to the foundational texts used for the translation. The KJV and revisions of the KJV are based on the Textus Receptus, which is a Greek version of the New Testament dating to 1516. That Greek text was the basis for all of the early Protestant translations of the New Testament. Since that time, archeologists have discovered other documents which predate the Textus Receptus. Some of the new translation of the New Testament are based on these older texts. Since we do not have access to the original documents written by the New Testament authors, we have to rely on copies. Since there are many copies and there are minor differences between them, scholars have to make a judgement as to which are likely to be the most accurate copies. This can lead to interesting differences.

For example, in the Lord's Prayer (Our Father) as recorded in Matthew 6:9-13, the KJV ends the prayer with the doxology: "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.". A similar prayer is quoted in Luke 11:2-4 which does not include the doxology. When earlier copies of the Greek text of Matthew were discovered, the oldest did not include the doxology. Thus, when some newer translations such as the ESV were published, they left out the doxology included in the KJV, but included a footnote that references the doxology being included in some texts. Although I love concluding the Lord's Prayer with the doxology, I appreciate the way the ESV presents the information from a scholarly viewpoint.

I remember Leonard Ravenhill getting up to preach in a large church we visited to hear him, and the first thing he said after praying was "I'll be reading from the Living Bible" and proceeded to read from the KJV.

I've always believed that you cannot go wrong except to NOT read the Bible, regardless of version. That being said, my primary text now is ESV and NASB when reading/studying, and NLT when teaching.

Hmmm. I don't know anyone there who could get a bible to you. That is what I was thinking.

You know, the New Living Translation is a good, easy to read translation. It is the one I usually recommend to non native English speaker (and to a lot of native English speakers). It is much better than the NIV or some of the others that are easier to read. There is even a Catholic Edition for Roman Catholics (I think it is still in print, but I'm not sure). Anyway, it would be reliable, but much easier to read than the NKJV or NASB.
I think shipping is very expensive from US

KJV, there are just good high quality versions from Cambridge (Concorde wide margin) and historical prints from Oxford press. When I had the time and energy I'd cross check against NJKV and ESV

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a very fine Oxford KJV, wide margin edition w/ leather cover. I had a friend order it for me when I was in Indonesia... from Australia. It was my main bible for years until I switched to the NASB. I have several copies of the New Inductive Study Bible (NASB) wide margin w/ leather covers. I prefer the paper on the Oxford but that edition of the NASB was the nicest I've ever found. It's out of print but available on eBay.

I have a very fine Oxford KJV, wide margin edition w/ leather cover. I had a friend order it for me when I was in Indonesia... from Australia. It was my main bible for years until I switched to the NASB. I have several copies of the New Inductive Study Bible (NASB) wide margin w/ leather covers. I prefer the paper on the Oxford but that edition of the NASB was the nicest I've ever found. It's out of print but available on eBay.
Cambridge has a NASB that is superior. I have a Clarion. It is just the right size.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Cambridge has a NASB that is superior. I have a Clarion. It is just the right size.
I like the feel of the Inductive NASB, but it's subjective. It's a big, thick Bible that lays very nice. It's always about personal preference when it comes to how a book feels in one's hands. I would guess the Cambridge, which I've never seen, has much better leather. Bonded leather was the best available from Harvest House when I purchased my copies.

When I was a kid, my sister got a Cambridge KJV as a Christmas present. It had a seal leather cover.... Hard to forget that one. My, how times have changed. I got a Zondervan Study Bible (KJV) that same Christmas in 1965.

The quotations from the KJV Bible have been absorbed into English speaking languages as figures of speech quoted by even non Christians without realizing it. The KJV translation has a 'ring' about it, since the original translators tested the text by reading it out loud before the text was finalized. However portions of the Jacobean text can be a challenge to reading portions of it today. It's still my number one translation, especially for reading out loud, but the NASV and J B Phillips translation for the new testament letters can be of tremendous help IMHO

The first study bible was the KJV Companion Bible by E W Bullinger whose notes are very very informative I also keep handy when I don't understand a passage
To many people the KJV is the only one and the rest are imposters. I can understand that. The whole book is written as if by a poet.
I have no problem with thee, thou etc., but then I read Pilgrim's Progress with all the esses as effs and loved it all the more for that.

Top Bottom