What's new

What is your favorite Bible translation?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Great question. I don't know if my preferred translations are in your language, so that will certainly make a difference. For very a very solid translation, not a paraphrase, I prefer the New American Standard Bible (NASB). The people who wrote this translation worked hard to take the original language and translate it to current languages. For readability and keeping to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Common Greek, the English Standard Version (ESV) is very good. The New King James Version (NKJV) is also very readable and holds to the original language. If you are interested in reading these in English, BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages. - https://www.biblegateway.com has them online. They also have a list of Bulgarian bibles, but I am not familiar with them and do not know how well they hold to the original language.

Edit: I should add, to fully answer your question, the reason for my choices is due to how well they hold to the original language. The bible is fully reliable and without error in the original form. Translators can either keep it true to the original, which was traditionally the case, but some of the newer ones, as mentioned in other comments, have strayed from this. Also, while I don't have any issue with a good paraphrase, it should help supplement one's understanding of God and who Jesus is and not the the primary source.

Well said 👍

Great question. I don't know if my preferred translations are in your language, so that will certainly make a difference. For very a very solid translation, not a paraphrase, I prefer the New American Standard Bible (NASB). The people who wrote this translation worked hard to take the original language and translate it to current languages. For readability and keeping to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Common Greek, the English Standard Version (ESV) is very good. The New King James Version (NKJV) is also very readable and holds to the original language. If you are interested in reading these in English, BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages. - https://www.biblegateway.com has them online. They also have a list of Bulgarian bibles, but I am not familiar with them and do not know how well they hold to the original language.

Edit: I should add, to fully answer your question, the reason for my choices is due to how well they hold to the original language. The bible is fully reliable and without error in the original form. Translators can either keep it true to the original, which was traditionally the case, but some of the newer ones, as mentioned in other comments, have strayed from this. Also, while I don't have any issue with a good paraphrase, it should help supplement one's understanding of God and who Jesus is and not the the primary source.
Actually I use mostly apps (tecarta, olivetree and youversion), due fact I have not paper copy here (usually I prefer physical books). For sure it help me to improve my English. Bible gateway is fine for online reading too !

Actually I use mostly apps (tecarta, olivetree and youversion), due fact I have not paper copy here (usually I prefer physical books). For sure it help me to improve my English. Bible gateway is fine for online reading too !
I've used YouVersion in the past. It is also a great app. I haven't used the other two, but will certainly be looking into them.

Biblehub.com is a great resource for multiple translations, cross-references and commentary. Chabad.org is an excellent resource for the Tanakh/Old Testament.

I don't remember which translation is my favorite. Aesthetically, I think it's the New English Bible, but so many have names that are almost identical I can't say that's it for sure. I went to look for it on my bookshelf last night and found an English Standard Version I don't remember buying instead. I'm either confused or may have given it away. For reference it's the Oxford Annotated New Revised Standard Version.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Z-2:
1644550854430.jpeg
Being Catholic, I use the New American Bible (NAB), and my favorite translation & passage is from Matthew 16:18…for God stated (always in Red),

“And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it”.

Having said that, let’s hope the Mods don’t shut this Thread down (you know the ‘olé’ saying…at reunions, Thanksgiving, etc…never discuss politics & religion ‘at the table’), so let’s all be civil & respectful for all Faiths. 🤷🏽‍♂️

proxy.php
Faith is an act of acceptance and not one of explanation”. Author Unknown

Last edited:
For a good Roman Catholic literal translation try the English Standard Version. This is also what the Ignatius Study Bible is based upon. Scott Hahn and others did the study notes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't owned one for a couple of decades, but when I did own one (in a phase of curiosity), I believe it was King James. Despite its antiquated vernacular, it seemed to be the "proper" one to have, somehow. More modern translations seemed kind of dumbed down almost. I admit, I didn't look at many others, and couldn't even tell you what they we're, but the written content being more accessible, seemed to lose some of the gravitas.

Traditional (e.g. Latin Mass) Catholic orders/parishes still use the Douay-Rheims Bible, the English translation of the Latin Vulgate Bible, especially in the Liturgy.
A priest I know who (is still "allowed" to) celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass was recently told to start reading the "modern translations" of the 3 Scripture readings during the Mass. He mentioned to me that he would go with the (Ignatius) New Revised Standard Version (NRSVCE) which is what I use at home as well.

But I digress. My favorite Bible verse is of course, 1Pet5 :) Here are verses 6-11:

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you. 7 Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. 8 Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, and strengthen you. 11 To him be the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I primarily read the KJV most of life. Recently I got the NIV and am enjoying it, but think I may prefer the NRSV that I’ve been reading in an app.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Being a Minister of Religion in Australia for over four decades. I was often asked which translation was the best. This is a problematic as all are translations. Some translations are better than others. Accuracy of translations is the stuff of scholars.

My answer was use the one that speaks to you.

What did I use? I used many different translations but fortunately the Greek I learnt stuck and I nearly always used my Greek Bible alongside my translation of choice when preparing a sermon or study.

Many years ago I was one of many who were asked to proofread a new Bible translation. It was an interesting process.

My first Bible was a KJV version. I think received an NIV, which I read most of the way through HS. In college, I got what I believe is a NAS version, which includes some key definitions from the original Greek translations. To be honest, I haven't looked in any of them for years.

I really chimed in to share a story from my college days. I was speaking with an older gentleman who decided to bring up religion (I'm originally from TN, so it happens). After sharing our "mutual" faith, he asked what version of the Bible I read. I informed him of reading from the NAS. He got a slightly concerned look on his face and told me that I should read the KJV, as "that's the version Jesus used". I chose to not carry the discussion any further.

For devotions and following along in church I use the ESV. For actual study I use a parallel bible with has KJV, ESV, Amplified and The Message side be side across facing pages for the same passage. I enjoy the depth and breadth it adds to my studies.

I'm a theology prof and I personally prefer the ESV but honestly pretty much all the mainstream modern English translations are quite good.
I agree, most are pretty good. Some have things I like better than others, but I could be happy with any of them (except for the new NIV that purposely mistranslates in order to be politically correct). I still prefer the NASB and the new 2020 update looks like it reads on a less difficult level than previous versions. The jury is still out as I am still reading through it. However, it looks pretty good. The ESV is good, but it has a few odd translations that, while possible, I think were done just to be different. I use the ESV quite a bit, though. It is very readable, especially when reading out loud. The 2020 NASB may supplant it, though.

Interesting posts. I prefer the New English Bible and the Jerusalem Bible for their highly readable contemporary text. (The Message is too contemporary for me.) My church uses the NRSV which sounds great at the lectern but can turn puzzling at home.

Top Bottom