What's new

What is your favorite beer??

I don't drink very often (maybe a beer/drink every month or two) but....

Relaxing Smooth/Summer beer = Boddingtons, Wexford, Beamish

With Pizza = St. Peter's (organic or golden), Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock, Blue Moon, Anderson Valley Poleeko Gold Pale Ale

With strong meats/food = Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Stone Double Bastard, Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Amazing beers that will totally blow your mind if you're a connoisseur (and if not, you'll likely hate) = Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Westvleteren, Delirium Tremens, Kate The Great - Russian Imperial Stout, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, and lastly - the great Samichlaus, which tastes more like a cognac than a beer.

+763578246278 on Westvleteren. It's very hard to get though. The monks of Westvleteren sell all it alsmost exclusively at the gates of the abbey only. And one of the terms is only one case of beer per license plate. You have to call to make an appointment, the monks write down your plate number and you can only pick up your case on certain days of the week. Even the best known beer taverns in Belgium like Kulminator in Antwerp, don't always have Westvleteren on stock.

Blue Moon
Guinness
Sapporo
Stella Artois
Dos Equis Lager
Pabst Blue Ribbon
not in that particular order.

Cheap and handy regular stock:
Killians
Michelob Amber Bock

Occasional indulgences:
San Miguel (my overall favorite)
Newcastle
Shiner Bock (not available in my area)

I also enjoy Guinness and Bass, but only on tap.

My favourite beers that are commonly available at the liquor store here include:

Fuller's London Pride
Newcastle Brown Ale
Caledonian 80
Kilkenny Cream Ale

I probably should have been born in England since I'm a huge ale fan and all the common lagers which dominate the market either do nothing for me or are plain unpleasent to drink.

Something like Pilsner Urquell which is considered a classic and highly regarded by those who like it, I just can't drink it, there is something to it which just makes me gag. I think it is high hops content in some of them.

There's a bitterness to ales as well, but it's more a bitterness that you taste as it hits your tongue, not that aftertaste bitterness in a lager which triggers the gag reflex. Stella Artois is one of the worst for this I find.

Some special beers they've brought in for a limited time which I've really enjoyed are

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and the 3 Chimay trappist beers.

If you ever find yourself in Visalia, CA go to Brewbakers on Main St. and have a Sequoia Red...best beer I've ever tasted.

my everyday beer would have to be Newcastle Brown Ale.

I'm definitely an Ale man...I just don't that much enjoyment from drinking a Pilsner. Not even the high end ones. I'm just not much for blondes. Not in my women or my beer.

If I had to pick a favorite that I always go back to its Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I've had beers that I've enjoyed more than SN, but for some reason I just keep coming back to it. I also love Stone's Imperial Russian Stout, Delerium Tremens, and Dogfish Head 60. I really just love almost any beer I drink so these answers aren't that accurate I guess :001_smile.

[QUOTE/]Wherever I am I'll drink whatever's local that the locals drink - they usually know best... that doesn't work in the UK generally though as they're all drinking the previously mentioned fizzy cold water stuff.[/QUOTE]

I agree that a lot of UK drinkers tend to go for palate/taste bud freezing lagers, however those of us in the know tend to seek out cask conditioned ales. Most pubs seem to have at least one worth trying and they are served cool (cellar temperature) rather than chilled. One of my own particular favourites is Sharp's Doom Bar, a classic beer by anyone's standards. Having said all that, I much prefer a genuine, real, honest-to goodness Somerset cider, one of those ones with lumps in :drool:

--
Paul

Top Bottom