What's new

What is up with the insane prices of Charcoal Goods Razors?

Charcoal Goods was a well known brand in the wetshaving industry. CG's razors were worth their prices when they were available from the official website. I was watching the CG razors being offered on ebay and multiple CG razors have been offered in the last few months. The latest one is being offered at a whopping 1750 dollars! (check the image that I attached). This is not a one-off case. I remember two other CG razors being available for sale last month with one being offered around 600, while the other was around 800 bucks.

This was not the first time a well known and out of production razor was overpriced. Some of you may recall the an R41 2011 version was being offered for 600 dollars on ebay. I know CG razors are highly rated. But are they worth more than double the prices when they were in production?

1702994851801.png

I saw the announcement carefully, this one seems to be from a member of another forum... where a big mess happened

I am very interested in Charcoal Goods products
having it polished and engraved in Switzerland makes the product lose a lot of value, the original version was not polished... so it is absolutely not worth the price

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the announcement carefully, this one seems to be from a member of another forum... where a big mess happened

I am very interested in Charcoal Goods products
having it polished and engraved in Switzerland makes the product lose a lot of value, the original version was not polished... so it is absolutely not worth the price

It looks to me as though the polishing may have rounded the edges somewhat too, which I’d think is quite detrimental.

It has always seemed the weirdest thing to me that there’s so much shaving stuff people didn’t especially care about buying when it was produced, but as soon as it’s out of production it is suddenly the best thing ever made and everyone scrambles to buy one.

It looks to me as though the polishing may have rounded the edges somewhat too, which I’d think is quite detrimental.

It has always seemed the weirdest thing to me that there’s so much shaving stuff people didn’t especially care about buying when it was produced, but as soon as it’s out of production it is suddenly the best thing ever made and everyone scrambles to buy one.
I know this razor well. Wouldn’t pay 600 for it.

I know the market for CG well enough. Looking for a Gen1 LvL 1 BP in copper, I know what someone will say, good luck. Well, it’s not about luck…

There is a lot to this story. I won’t go into it but a prudent google search would disclose a lot.
Is it the guy who was buying CG handles and stuff that other forum members were offering at generous prices for fellow forumites, and then immediately flipping the same items on the same forum for top price? I remember that and, while it was not against any rules, he was hounded out of the forum by the other members. I do love these forum dramas when they happen.

Is it the guy who was buying CG handles and stuff that other forum members were offering at generous prices for fellow forumites, and then immediately flipping the same items on the same forum for top price? I remember that and, while it was not against any rules, he was hounded out of the forum by the other members. I do love these forum dramas when they happen.
No, the seller wasn’t happy as it doesn’t have the original handle (should be a Bishop v1) and it as modified. He didn’t like that he paid less than his asking price, etc but he’s trying to sell it now for more than I believe he paid for it.

The guy selling it is not the guy who was flipping handles.

Oh man that guy was such a d-bag. Another guy and I made a joke on one of his listings and the mods there got all huffy about it, which was annoying… but I definitely know who you’re talking about.

Top Bottom