What's new

What is the most beautiful DE razor in the world?

That razor, or more specifically the blade that it was meant for, caused Gillette to give away the entire company to Henry Gaisman.

Gillette getting caught cooking the books during merger discussions was the last straw that gave Gaisman control but yes indeed. And in further irony the Gaisman patents Gillette blew itself up over did not stand up in later litigation.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has brought up the Otto Carter engraved Wolfman owned by @HDSledge here as of yet!! I thought it was at the top of everyone's list...

Someone asked me to post this one here too :thumbup1:

F9E413BC-11C2-4AF8-B6C0-484C831D61A4.jpeg

Beautiful razors in here. A perfect opportunity to give credit to James Dufour and Otto Carter for their workmanship.
Carterized Wolfman 1.JPG

Carterized Wolfman 4.JPG

Another set is in the works in mirror stainless steel. Different design, same razor set except with a handmade mirror stainless steel brush handle. Another opportunity for Otto to show his stuff on a Wolfman.

Last edited:
Lots of amazing razors here!

Some might call the ornamentation or design frivolous, but beauty does not need to make excuses. And most guys don't do jewelry like women do. Expensive watches are extremely passé in my book. Once, they were useful status symbols of the well-healed set watch "Die Fledermaus:); now they are signs of insecurity and pretension, and easily counterfeited, plus they don't keep as good time.

So if a guy wants a beautiful, or even ostentatious, razor, I say, go for it!

Speaking of ostentatious trinkets of the elite, remember John F. Kennedy's razor?

link:

I was hoping that members might know of other razors owned by famous people to post. Anyone? Any insight regarding this type of razor set?

I've heard there was a famous Gillette razor customized by Tiffany jewelers years ago. Anyone know about it, or have a photo?

JFK had a basic New Standard flat bottom set, but monogrammed, and perhaps enhanced. Did Gillette customize razors for the rich? Did they put additional gold plating on, or other plating? It looks like the New Standard had a heavier gold plating as standard, though. It is far more heavy duty than the Old Type Single Ring. And it can give you an amazingly close shave, if you can tame it. Ever see a photo of JFK with a 5 o'clock shadow?

I wonder if JFK used this razor during the Second World War when he was captaining PT-109? Perhaps it would have set the wrong, er, tone with his crew.

To me, Gillette got it right with the gold New Standard, with form and function melded perfectly and beautifully.

Beautiful razors in here. A perfect opportunity to give credit to James Dufour and Otto Carter for their workmanship.
View attachment 1286896
View attachment 1286903
Another set is in the works in mirror stainless steel. Different design, same razor set except with a handmade mirror stainless steel brush handle. Another opportunity for Otto to show his stuff on a Wolfman.
I think we need to disqualify you from these threads. There is your razor and stand ... and there's everything else.

Can I ask how much it set you back to get that engraved?

I think we need to disqualify you from these threads. There is your razor and stand ... and there's everything else.

Can I ask how much it set you back to get that engraved?
Not too much: An arm and a leg, only a flesh wound. Ni!

Seriously though my favorites are the vintage Gillette's. Contemporary is cool but those take the cake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom