What's new

What is the best way to apply cologne from a tester vial?

Hello fragrance board,

I have accrued a number of tester vials of cologne from various fragrance houses (particularly Floris (off hand I can remember Elite and No. 89)). I'm excited to try them out, but haven't done so mostly because I don't really know how. While other cologne samples I've seen have come in spray vials, mine have a cap and (for lack of a better term) a dipstick. Is there a best practice for applying cologne from this type of vial? Should I rub the cologne from the dipstick onto my skin (I think I read somewhere that rubbing cologne in can damage the fragrance)? Should I splash the cologne directly from the vial? This shouldn't be as difficult as it is for me but since this is B&B I know I can ask questions that are probably quite stupid and still get considerate, reasoned responses. I'm sure some of you know how I should be doing this, so I leave this question in your well-scented hands.

For reference, I've attached a picture of this type of vial.

Attachments

• $5000106834.jpg
    $5000106834.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 151
That's a good question. You can apply this sample from a tube in several ways. One you mentioned, just dipping the "dipstick" in the tube and wiping in on your skin. Sometimes I will do it this way if I want to apply just a tiny bit to get an idea of how it smells. If I want a regular wearing, I'll usually hold one finger over the open tube top and turn the tube upside down to get the juice on my finger tip, then rub it on my wrists and the back and/or sides of my neck. This takes repeating several times on each location to get enough applied. Occasionally I have carefully poured a little of the juice onto my wrist then spread it around. Another method some use is to transfer the juice to a spray atomizer and then spray it on just like you would out of a spray bottle.

So there's not really a wrong way. Enjoy!

Oh, and welcome to the fragrance forum! :thumbup1:

Great question! I know how I do it, but have no idea if it is the best way. Looking forward to answers! -- Seconds later! Thanks for the info, Randy! That is what I do and feel better knowing that others do the same thing. Have never tried transferring the fragrance to an atomizer. Don't have any to transfer it to is the main reason.

Last edited:
I find these vials to be very annoying and cumbersome. So much easier with a spray. That's why I throw away most vials without sprays.

I prefer the sprayers, too, but mostly what I don't like about the little tubes or vials is they are usually so small the quantity of juice in them isn't enough to get 2 or 3 wearings, and sometimes I'm not sure if I really like or don't like a fragrance on just one wearing. Sometimes I even change my mind after a few wearings, and these little tubes just don't provide enough juice for me to really give the juice a thorough evaluation.

I prefer the sprayers, too, but mostly what I don't like about the little tubes or vials is they are usually so small the quantity of juice in them isn't enough to get 2 or 3 wearings, and sometimes I'm not sure if I really like or don't like a fragrance on just one wearing. Sometimes I even change my mind after a few wearings, and these little tubes just don't provide enough juice for me to really give the juice a thorough evaluation.

My thoughts exactly.

Hate the tubes myself...but any port in a storm, and free is,..well, free. If there's something I want to try that I think I'll like, I tend to buy from TPC and get their little 2.5ml spray vial. Offers at least 2-3 tests.

I've seen some fairly credible arguments made by BNers that assert there's a difference between a scent dabbed vs sprayed.

Personally, I just gauge everything by sprays... How many "dabs" equal four sprays... I dunno.

But to the OP, any method is probably going to give you an idea of what the scent will smell like. I usually put it finger and gently apply to wrists, neck or chest.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. I'll just go for it and see what happens. I was thinking the opposite of most of you though. I feel like this tiny vial is going to last me forever; to the point that I'm afraid it might go bad. I don't where cologne very often and when I do, I tend to use very little. I'll have to work my way up to the correct amount. I learned this evening that one dab is not really enough. Next time, two. Again, thank you to everyone. I'm happy to know that this isn't simpler than I thought.

I generally pour these vials into a small atomizer and test them by spraying. Never really liked the "dab" method. I've also found that the sample tends to last longer this way.

Ive had good luck with just putting the vial square on my skin and smearing it around. The trick is to keep it square to your skin so that it doesnt spill all over the place.

But there isn't really a good way.

I always think it's going to spill out of control when doing that so I don't even bother. They should stop making vials without sprays.

I always think it's going to spill out of control when doing that so I don't even bother. They should stop making vials without sprays.

Not as long as they are cheaper to produce :sad:

I have not found a good way to use those vials except to put it on my finger tip and apply it where I want it.
I suppose I could buy a box of 1000 little atomizers just in case, but really....

I did learn the hard way that when you drop those little vials, the sampling is all over. I dropped one on the tile floor, and had to clean up the million pieces of wet, nice smelling glass. Another landed in the sink in such a way that it didn't break, but it spun around like a top, with the open end out, of course, to make sure every drop spilled out completely and ran down the drain.

I generally pour these vials into a small atomizer and test them by spraying. Never really liked the "dab" method. I've also found that the sample tends to last longer this way.

That's what I usually do.

Ive had good luck with just putting the vial square on my skin and smearing it around. The trick is to keep it square to your skin so that it doesnt spill all over the place.

But there isn't really a good way.

I call it the "tip and smear method", I've had pretty good results with it also.

Same way I apply from a bottle.
Tip some onto my fingertip and wipe it where I want.

I'm not a believer in going heavy on cologne.

the little sample bottles fit perfectly inside the sprayers from Sephora. Rinse out the Sephora sprayer with witch hazel, run it through the atomizer, and then put the sephora bottle over the sample bottle. turn it upside down and flick the sample bottle and it will all come out into the sephora bottle.

Same way I apply from a bottle.
Tip some onto my fingertip and wipe it where I want.

I'm not a believer in going heavy on cologne.

Exactly. I'm working my way up to applying the right amount because I don't want to wear too much. The problem is, I don't yet know how much is too much.

Top Bottom