What's new

What is Favorite Metal for Razor?

My first R41 could have lasted 50 years as well, but yeah, the cap broke away. :(

I got a replacement head from Mühle for free, though.
That’s a shame. I think most people will be fine with the screw as long as they keep it dry but I wonder how common it is to have it snap off.

I think the newer 41 and 89s have plated brass screws? Not sure if that makes much of a difference since they can still snap off.

They ought to just make the whole top cap out of plated brass to be safe and I doubt it would cost much more.

That’s a shame. I think most people will be fine with the screw as long as they keep it dry but I wonder how common it is to have it snap off.

I think the newer 41 and 89s have plated brass screws? Not sure if that makes much of a difference since they can still snap off.

They ought to just make the whole top cap out of plated brass to be safe and I doubt it would cost much more.
Actually, there is an all stainless R41 out there now. Ain't cheap, though!

I'm not considering one, because if it is more scary than my Timeless bronze. 78 OC, I really don't need scarier than that.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I'm not considering one, because if it is more scary than my Timeless bronze. 78 OC, I really don't need scarier than that.
I am not afraid of the Mühle R41 GS, but the Timeless Bronze .78 OC. The Timeless Bronze is quite a beast, you will find the R41 much better behaved. The head reportedly is more similar to the not quite that aggressive R41 Zamacs after 2013. The 2011 version of the R41 is likely the one that got it the "BEAST" moniker.

It's still more aggressive than anything on Razorock's razor scale on Italianbarber.

(I like it better than the Timeless Bronze. But I like the scraping type of shave of the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC even more. It is a harsh razor when using that scraping technique, but guarantees a BBS and is actually one of the least injure prone aggressive razors, if the skin can stand that scrape. Now that is going wildly OT. The Mühle R41 GS is a fantastic razor but I dislike the handle, it is less grippy than the zamac equivalent and way heavier, a bit too heavy for relatively little grip.)

Ti, all my favourites razors DE or SE are in Ti soon or later. If I'm not sure I buy first SS or AL but if razor works and is keeper for me I prefer to buy it in Ti and sell SS. Like that weight, not so light as AL and not heavy as SS, and prefer how Ti feels on skin. It cost more but I prefer to have not so many razors, only what I like and if possible all in Ti.. Some more efficient as Blackbird works also much better (are more smooth) for me in Ti vs SS

I am not afraid of the Mühle R41 GS, but the Timeless Bronze .78 OC. The Timeless Bronze is quite a beast, you will find the R41 much better behaved. The head reportedly is more similar to the not quite that aggressive R41 Zamacs after 2013. The 2011 version of the R41 is likely the one that got it the "BEAST" moniker.

It's still more aggressive than anything on Razorock's razor scale on Italianbarber.

(I like it better than the Timeless Bronze. But I like the scraping type of shave of the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC even more. It is a harsh razor when using that scraping technique, but guarantees a BBS and is actually one of the least injure prone aggressive razors, if the skin can stand that scrape. Now that is going wildly OT. The Mühle R41 GS is a fantastic razor but I dislike the handle, it is less grippy than the zamac equivalent and way heavier, a bit too heavy for relatively little grip.)
I've long suspected the Timeless Bronze was more aggressive than the R41, even though I didn't have a basis of comparison. I distinctly remember the Timeless website literature--bless their little hearts--on the Bronze. They wrote it like you'd be pleasantly surprised to find it more aggressive than it's modest blade gap suggests!

Then there's the fact it requires periodic polishing, which I don't really mind. I sometimes get a leather shoe-polishing bug (Army days...), so sitting on the porch with a wad of Never-Dull while listening to a Reds game is relaxing.

I never believe the guys who say a "patina" is charming. It's as charming as a yard two weeks overdue for the lawnmower.

Bronze and Copper are my favorite. Even if the selection is very limited....
- Like the aesthetics of patina
- More stable than Brass alloys (Brass has Zinc.....)
- Holds temperature, which is pleasing
- Kills bacteria, viruses and fungi
- Face feel... hard to explain
- Threads are smoother to operate (this is minor)

The only real negative with copper is how soft it is...

All this said most of my razors are stainless steel and have no issues with stainless at all.
The only no goes for me are Aluminum and Zamac razors. Will never own anything in those metals!

At $30 an ounce it shouldn’t be too bad. Titanium is expensive but I think that’s mostly because it’s hard to work with.
30 is scrap? no? in usd? no?

plus my mark up for silver, just because it fancy, plus tax :D
[i dont do titanium unless it a hip joint, i think i have some in my chest?? already]

Titanium and Aluminum. There is no reason for a heavy razor. A lighter razor is much easier to handle on the most difficult parts of the face and neck. The benefits of a heavy razor are completely fabricated and irrational.

As many others have already posted, I like the weight and durability of titanium. I use a steel GC head with the Halo titanium handle. The weight and balance are similar to that of a Gillette Slim.

Top Bottom