What's new

Star DE- What type of metal/year?

Hello All,

Just wondering what type of metal the Star razor is made of (see pic). I'm pretty sure the handle is brass but not sure about the top and bottom plates. Brass? Zinc alloy? Also, anyone know the years these were made?

Thanks Much.

polaris

Star.jpeg

Hello All,

Just wondering what type of metal the Star razor is made of (see pic). I'm pretty sure the handle is brass but not sure about the top and bottom plates. Brass? Zinc alloy? Also, anyone know the years these were made?

Thanks Much.

polaris

View attachment 1840876
Pretty sure these beauties were all brass in construction.

Production dates were from 1946 to I believe 1958 in the US when the American Safety Razor Co ceased the line.

Here in the UK the type was marketed as the PAL and also examples marked Personna.
IMG_20240430_211255082.jpg
Here is my example. This version was made with an aluminium handle and baseplate and a brass endcap. So considerably lighter. There may have been all brass UK variants however. I have not seen any yet.

Production in the UK finished a little later, with the last PAL razors being made in the early 60's.

There is a Star/PAL owners club on B&B with more info. Please join if you wish.

Star 100 Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-100-owners-club.637736/

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Alum. I purchased this razor a few years ago, packed to move and misplaced it. I just found it and am looking forward to giving it a try. Also, thanks for the invite and I'm happy to join!

Best,

polaris

Top Bottom