What's new

What happened to the term "SWMBO"

I want to see you point, specially since my upbringing was such as you describe. Yes the women have their…I should say…”specialties” 🤷🏻‍♂️.

But reducing them to plain care takers would be an extreme. At least for me.

I don’t speak of your experiences with women. But mine have being great. Men are not better at making decisions either in my opinion. They see things differently, from another perspective.

As men, speaking of myself, we make decisions from a very broad spectrum, but women tend to look into the details of things, even if that means listening to their gut or “feelings” as you call them. And I’ve seen many times were their gut is really helpful😉.

Men, Women, we are all human, bound to mistakes, but again, your experiences with women might defer, I am just exalting them in the sense that sometimes men lack the sensitivities of a woman. And having a wife that complements what I do not posses is of great advantage, so of course, my wife gives me the place I deserve in my house, but I wouldn’t be able to deserve it without her🤷🏻‍♂️
" my wife gives me the place I deserve in my house"

lol the house you bought :biggrin1: Nah man, my house is my house. If I want to smoke inside then why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke in my house. If I want to buy a new music instrument with my own money then what gives her the right to tell me that I can't. It's only money, once you die then it will mean nothing to you and those who're alive will be fighting about it. I have been thinking about this lately a lot. I'm not saying go and spend every single penny you have on your hobbies lol, if the bills are paid then spend the rest on whatever you like.

My fiancée never gave me a hard time, she's very traditional. I really believe that women want to stay home and take care of the kids, having a great earning job won't make them happy in the long term. I see this with the women in my family, when they start to complain they always say that they wish they could give up their job and stay home with the kids. But nowadays, that is hard because everything is so freaking expensive.

You need to expand the circle of women you know.
Man, when I see how these trashy women of nowadays behave. Oh hell no. I'm not sure how old you are but let me assume that you're older than me. I can promise you that these times are very different compared to the times you grew in (that is IF I'm right and you're older than me). I think YOU need to expand the circle of women you date or know here is why, if you did you wouldn't be complaining about the woman you're living with. My fiancée says that she wants me to be happy, and if my hobbies make me happy then she is happy.

All I say, if it's your money, your home then no one else has the right to tell you how to spend that money. All hobbies cost money and can be quite obsessive (I didn't log into this forum for a long time and when I did; after a couple days I ordered 750 Wizamet Iridium blades ...... while I already have 600 Feather blades).

Ok let's agree on this; money was made to be spend on goods we like.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Guys - lets not get off track here too much about who is the superior sex.
We all know men who are great, and men who are buffoons.
Women I have known run the same way.
Lets not go into misogyny or misandry here.
This @euro . For STARTERS there is no reason to generalize women, or anyone else, as trashy.
" my wife gives me the place I deserve in my house"

lol the house you bought :biggrin1: Nah man, my house is my house. If I want to smoke inside then why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke in my house. If I want to buy a new music instrument with my own money then what gives her the right to tell me that I can't. It's only money, once you die then it will mean nothing to you and those who're alive will be fighting about it. I have been thinking about this lately a lot. I'm not saying go and spend every single penny you have on your hobbies lol, if the bills are paid then spend the rest on whatever you like.

My fiancée never gave me a hard time, she's very traditional. I really believe that women want to stay home and take care of the kids, having a great earning job won't make them happy in the long term. I see this with the women in my family, when they start to complain they always say that they wish they could give up their job and stay home with the kids. But nowadays, that is hard because everything is so freaking expensive.
I'm beginning to understand why your reaction score is so amazingly high.:yawn:

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Doesn’t offend me in the least. But then again….I don’t have a She Who Must Be Obeyed so I never used it. I don’t see anything wrong with using it though. Folks need to lighten up. It’s not meant to be literal. It’s always been a joke.

Like when folks say “send it to me for proper disposal”. No one means that literally. It’s a joke. There are women members here and I don’t see anything wrong with them using HWMBO.

LOTH is another one that I’ve seen around here. Lady Of The House. Nothing wrong with that.

brucered

System Generated
Man, when I see how these trashy women of nowadays behave. Oh hell no. I'm not sure how old you are but let me assume that you're older than me. I can promise you that these times are very different compared to the times you grew in (that is IF I'm right and you're older than me). I think YOU need to expand the circle of women you date or know here is why, if you did you wouldn't be complaining about the woman you're living with. My fiancée says that she wants me to be happy, and if my hobbies make me happy then she is happy.

All I say, if it's your money, your home then no one else has the right to tell you how to spend that money. All hobbies cost money and can be quite obsessive (I didn't log into this forum for a long time and when I did; after a couple days I ordered 750 Wizamet Iridium blades ...... while I already have 600 Feather blades).

Ok let's agree on this; money was made to be spend on goods we like.

As a married man, I consider it ""our house" and I take my wife's feeling and considerations into affect when it may impact her. I don't smoke, but if I did and she didn't want it inside, I would do it outside. I wouldn't be of the mindset "it's my house, I'll do what I want".

We ask each other or make a joint decision for large purchases. No shave item has ever been a joint decision. We have one bank account, nothing is separated (spending money or expenses), it works for us.

To be clear, in case anyone took my initial post as I was offended by the term. I'm not and never have been. Like someone else said, I think it just wore out it's welcome and people stopped using it for various reasons.

Last edited:
As a married man, I consider it ""our house" and I take my wife's feeling and considerations into affect when it may impact her. I don't smoke, but if I did and she didn't want it inside, I would do it outside. I wouldn't be of the mindset "it's my house, I'll do what I want".

We ask each other or make a joint decision for large purchases. No shave item has ever been a joint decision. We have one bank account, nothing is separated (spending money or expenses), it works for us.

To be clear, in case anyone took my initial post as I was offended by the term. I'm not and never have been. Like someone else said, I think it just wore out it's welcome and people stopped using it for various reasons.
Yeah but what is a large purchase. A couple soaps, blades maybe some new AS won't cost you a 1000. Let's be honest here, do you really need all the shaving supplies you own? I'm guilty of this myself too. You could stick to one razor, one blade, one shaving cream/soap, one aftershave but we don't want that. I never understood why we're programmed like this. You CAN save money with this "hobby" IF you want TBH I tried it but I felt I was missing out on all the stuff people post about on this board. How much do you actually spend on this hobby?

brucered

System Generated
Yeah but what is a large purchase. A couple soaps, blades maybe some new AS won't cost you a 1000. Let's be honest here, do you really need all the shaving supplies you own? I'm guilty of this myself too. You could stick to one razor, one blade, one shaving cream/soap, one aftershave but we don't want that. I never understood why we're programmed like this. You CAN save money with this "hobby" IF you want TBH I tried it but I felt I was missing out on all the stuff people post about on this board. How much do you actually spend on this hobby?
$300 and up for "fun money" items or something she may be using.

It also depends on what the purchase is for. Is it a want or a need.

If I want a new $500 watch, I will ask. If we need a new $1500 hot water tank, no asking is needed.

As for shaving, I don't spend much anymore. Aside from stockpiling some tallow soaps and Russian blades, I don't impulse buy anything.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Perfectly stated. Never understood not throwing the money in the same pot.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
We were married in 1975. Being a couple of English literature majors, we used Thomas Cranmer's service as found in his original Book of Common Prayer. We took out "obey." It was not appropriate. I first encountered "she who must be obeyed" in Rumpole of the Bailey. I was not a fan, despite my love of Brit Box and its ken.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, SWMBO always seemed to be a bit easier to type on a phone than "My Complete Equal And Partner Who Is No More Or Less Qualified Or Valuable Than I Am And Who Has As Much A Right To Hold And Express Her Opinion As I Do In All Matters Regarding Household Decisions And Expenditures"

My wife and I mutually respect each other. Having said that, when I introduced her to the term SWMBO she thought it was hilarious and loved it. I think she still pulls it out on me once in a while. My view is it's fun if you make it fun. It's offensive if you make it offensive. But it's OK if we all don't have the same sense of teasing in our relationships--everyone has to do what's best for them.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Though I still enjoy (not ridiculously priced, to audiophile standards) great hi-fi, I haven't really checked into audiophile forums for a while. I'm not even sure which forums are worthwhile, but will accept suggestions. It seems that "SAF", Spouse Acceptance Factor, was coming into play more the last I was involved.
I misspoke.... I used to read the audiophile magazines. Stereophile and probably 3 or 4 others and some of the newsletters companies like Van Alstine published. I never did find a audiophile forums site.

My stuff is mid-fi by Stereophile standards, but they did rate all the stuff I have as excellent "budget" gear. Vandersteen speakers, Van Alstine amp and pre-amp, Rega front ends... It still makes great music after all these years.

Reactions: DBT
Top Bottom