What's new

What happened to the term "SWMBO"

In the past this was used across the shaving forums in regard to whether or not you could make more shaving related purchases, or if you had to hide it. Is it not current year anymore?
funny-she-who-must-be-obeyed-sweatshirt-mens-t-shirt.jpg

I never knew if there was a distinct reference to the origin of the term, but I always thought of the movie SHE 1935:
MV5BMjAxNGU4ZjctY2EzMC00YWY3LWJlZTQtMzg1YTY5YWIwNzlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg1ODEwNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So it hasn't been defined in the thread that I've seen. SWMBO = she who must be obeyed. Tongue in cheek perhaps, but SWMBO or for that matter HWMBO is not really keeping up with current values IMHO. Obeisance does not really fly in a healthy relationship. YMMV.

It’s a joke that has gone out of fashion. Wasn’t really funny enough to last as long as it did, but somehow it caught on for some years. It’s a bit like those signs people used to put up in offices saying “you don’t have to be mad to work here, but it helps”.

Oh how we laughed.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
In other forums, esp. audiophile forums, the more common saying was "WAF"..... "Wife Acceptance Factor", often for the aesthetics of a product like huge speakers, etc. I view marriage is more of a partnership than a power struggle, but marriages vary, depending on the different personalities, plus cultural and religious backgrounds. Hopefully, in life, we have a few paradigm shifts that end up making us better people.

I had to click on this post just to see what it meant. I am indifferent either way on this and say if you want to use it still, go for it. Maybe you will be the one who brings it back
I never used it. I prefer to formulate actual words to communicate. Not acronyms or emojis. Also, I don't use derogatory comments about my wife. The Battle Axe, the old ball and chain, etc. That being said, I may not disclose most of my shaving product purchases.
With that being said, I don't think it should trigger someone, causing them to barf or raise the torches and pitch forks, especially since the term could potentially be used by the majority of the forum users, even if only as a joke.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I still think @FarmerTan 's "The War Department" is one of the best spousal titles I have seen. I will confess I used to refer to the original Mrs. Scandalous as "The Admiral" and she was okay with that. LOL. I usually refer to the current Mrs. Scandalous by her name, outside of online forums.
Trust me. I am not as shtoopid as I appear. I don't call her anything but "Honey" 99.999% of the time. She has a fantastic sense of humor.

Or she could have killed me a dozen times over and no jury in the world would convict her. Even if the jury were friends of mine. Lol, ESPECIALLY if they were friends of mine.

In other forums, esp. audiophile forums, the more common saying was "WAF"..... "Wife Acceptance Factor", often for the aesthetics of a product like huge speakers, etc. I view marriage is more of a partnership than a power struggle, but marriages vary, depending on the different personalities, plus cultural and religious backgrounds. Hopefully, in life, we have a few paradigm shifts that end up making us better people.
Though I still enjoy (not ridiculously priced, to audiophile standards) great hi-fi, I haven't really checked into audiophile forums for a while. I'm not even sure which forums are worthwhile, but will accept suggestions. It seems that "SAF", Spouse Acceptance Factor, was coming into play more the last I was involved.

I think it's a silly term because if it's your money then what is the big deal? You worked for it right? I heard those terms on other forums too (related to music), I never understood it nor understand why someone would be okay with it? If I pay the rent then it's my house my money, she can do anything she wants with her money so can I. I think this is a culture thing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think it's a silly term because if it's your money then what is the big deal? You worked for it right? I heard those terms on other forums too (related to music), I never understood it nor understand why someone would be okay with it? If I pay the rent then it's my house my money, she can do anything she wants with her money so can I. I think this is a culture thing.
You are probably right. Or you have no War Department that you live with. I'd have to sleep with one eye open if I spent money on audio stuff without asking. Depends more on how loud I played the music mostly.

Top Bottom