What's new

What do you drink while smoking?

I generally smoke cigars, only occasionally pipes. My go-to drink is dark roast coffee during the day, Irish whiskey at night. I also usually drink water at the same time. I have tried colas, but have found them generally incompatible with smoke.

so as a corollary to this question.... DO you drink while smoking? Why/Why not? Just cause you wanna? Does it add to the tobacco experience? Does it help/hinder the ability to taste the smoke subtleties?

I have been smoking a bowl mostly in the AM, and so coffee. But was thinking I might enjoy a little Bourbon with a smoke tonight.

so as a corollary to this question.... DO you drink while smoking? Why/Why not? Just cause you wanna? Does it add to the tobacco experience? Does it help/hinder the ability to taste the smoke subtleties?

I have been smoking a bowl mostly in the AM, and so coffee. But was thinking I might enjoy a little Bourbon with a smoke tonight.
For me: three reasons:
1. Smoking makes me thirsty.
2. Sometimes, smoking irritates my throat or makes me cough.
3. Some things like coffee enhance the flavor of the smoke and vice versa.

For me: three reasons:
1. Smoking makes me thirsty.
2. Sometimes, smoking irritates my throat or makes me cough.
3. Some things like coffee enhance the flavor of the smoke and vice versa.

Mainly #3 for me, they just seem to go together well, matching the blend to the beverage.

Although I like good bourbons, scotches and nice rums, the drink that seems to go best for me with a really fine cigar is a strong coffee. Other good cigar pairings are Boddington's Cream Ale and other low IBU ales. Beers and ales that are too bitter detract from the subtle nuances of good cigars. It's difficult to taste all the flavors from your cigar with an imperial IPA. The bittering hops overshadow the cigar.
just my 2c!

I agree about the really hoppy beers. They seem to cloud the palette of any flavor but the hops.

Last edited:

I have a drink usually because a hydrated mouth is a happy mouth. If you're parched, you probably won't be able to pick up on as many flavors. 2. Smoking dries your mouth (see number 1). 3. Sometimes you get tobacco juice or a nasty bit and the drink helps wash that down. 4. It's very good for the flora and fauna of your mouth to be hydrated since you're covering them with layers of smoke.

I really love a nice rooibos tea. Seems to be a perfect match with a VA.

If I get a morning bowl in, or if I get a chance to fit one in at work, it's usually strong black coffee.

My usual routine, though, is an evening bowl after dinner, usually with a whisk(e)y - typically bourbon, but sometimes scotch or Irish whisky, or now rye. I'm an equal opportunity imbiber. :001_smile

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I drink coffee in the morning and smoke a pipe in the evening. I don't want to smoke tobacco in the morning or drink coffee in the evening.

I don't see how you guys do it. I' ll take a sip of water if I have to I guess. I'll do a 3 fingers worth of Crown with a dribble of coke and a Maduro or a light beer with a Blondie in the summer when it's a humid sweltering hell hole outside.

I know, I'm ghetto, but I don't care.

What, no White Russians?

:laugh:
Hey, man, there's a beverage here, man! I do make a pretty mean one (half & half instead of milk - makes all the difference), and I went through a phase a few years ago where I drank almost nothing but. I still have one every now & then, but the taste is a little too overpowering to have with a bowl.

As stated before, it all depends on type of tobacco and time of day. There is nothing better that a glass of a wonderful aged Port with a good cigar (preferably Cuban). A nice single malt (Laphroaig 18) goes well with a strong Nicaraguan or Honduran cigar. Although a good bourbon goes well with them too (read Blanton's or Booker).

For pipes, it is usually a wonderful Ethiopian coffee, black. But also water. I think alcohol tends to mask the nuances of pipe tobacco much more than cigars.

But, smoke what you like, drink what you like, and enjoy the simple things in life. Winston Churchill once said "I am a simple man and enjoy the simple things in life. As long as those simple things are the very best!" Words to live by.

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1 (maduro) with single malt Scotch - Ardmore Traditional Cask (Peated, Quarter Cask) – about $30. Best kept secret under the $60 mark! Together the smokiness of the Ardmore is awesome with the cigar.

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1 (maduro) with single malt Scotch - Ardmore Traditional Cask (Peated, Quarter Cask) – about $30. Best kept secret under the $60 mark! Together the smokiness of the Ardmore is awesome with the cigar.

Welcome to the BL, Chief! Always good to see another sailor here!

A true smoky whisky is the way to go with a cigar. I am partial to Islay and Highland malts myself.

Morning or evening, +1 to tea. Something caffeinated in the morning (morning/breakfast blend from teavana) and something lighter in the evening. During the day I just keep a bottle of water on hand. Hard to enjoy a smoke with a dry mouth.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

HdM Excalibur #1s are my favorite cigar.

My drink typically depends on the time of day and what I'm smoking. If it's morning time, it's almost always a bowl of tilbury and a nice strong Sumatra blend coffee.

Any other time of day is typically a nice bourbon, neat, with an English or English cross over. I'm particularly fond of a Virginia with a nice bitter pale ale that I brew. Burley with my favorite brown porter and just about all other combos.

I usually don't aim for the pairing to be similar, but for each item to compliment the flavor I enjoy most in the other. Sometimes opposites really tend to bring out the best in each other.

Any other time of day is typically a nice bourbon, neat, with an English or English cross over.

How do you taste the English over the bourbon? I find even my strongest Englishes can't break through the aftertaste of tequilas, which present a very similar taste level and often a similar character of flavor profile.

Edit: tapatalk posted the wrong message here. Lol

How do you taste the English over the bourbon? I find even my strongest Englishes can't break through the aftertaste of tequilas, which present a very similar taste level and often a similar character of flavor profile.

Honestly, I've never had a problem picking between the bourbon and tobacco. I frequently enjoy the same smokes with a glass of water and I still get the same wonderful flavor notes, just less the bourbon. To me it's all the same as a beer going along with it or a glass of iced tea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom